Really Need Meal/Snack Ideas!

Options
weehah
weehah Posts: 81 Member
I find that keeping track of calories here is helpful, but I think I need even more structure. At this point, I'd like to try avoid white flour and refined sugar, and really want to just eat whole, nutrient-rich foods. I am finding it tough to feel full.

I'd love meal and snack ideas, including a few that are sort of on-the-go. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The fullness comes from eating plenty of protein, fat, and fiber, along with drinking plenty of water. A lot of people start trying to get healthy or go on a "diet" and go low- or non-fat everything. Keep an eye on those items in your daily diary, might help with the not-so-full feeling.

• weehah
    weehah Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I hear you about protein/fat/fiber, and I find the same thing. I was looking more for specific ideas and examples of what people eat. I'm in a bit of a rut.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite morning snacks (or even light breakfast) is avocado toast. I toast a whole wheat sandwich thin, then quarter a half of an avocado on each half of the sandwich thin. I mash that avocado up on the toast with some sriacha, add a little salt and yum. Change it up with small amounts (1 tsp) of olive tapanade or crumbed feta or goat cheese. This really holds me to the next meal.
  • athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I generally eat as you describe. My go to snacks are carrot sticks and hummus, apples and nut butter, Ezekiel bread (contains no flour) with nut butter, popcorn, other fruits.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Banana with a T of almond or peanut butter, deli turkey wrapped around avacado slices, protein shake, quest bars, nuts, granola bars, rice thins and hummus or salsa, can of tuna.
  • FunkenWagnel
    FunkenWagnel Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like to stuff my meals with veges whenever possible. I have a lot of side salads, I pack any meal with mince (eg, bolognaise, shepherd's pie, rice paper rolls, San Choy bow, rissoles, Mexican, etc) with loads of differently coloured veges.

It's filling, and tastes so much better. I also do the same with sandwiches. I try to have that bulging with salad, and it's beautiful! I'll have that with tuna, egg, chicken, ham, etc. if I don't have those foods handy, I replace the protein food with thick, sliced mushroom on the sandwich with salad. I also use a lot of herbs and chilli
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to start with a good filling breakfast--egg on toast, fruit & Greek yogurt or oatmeal with fruit & nuts with a dollop of greek yogurt always with coffee with some sort of creamer like 2% milk.
    I try to do veggies--carrots or celery, fruits, and nuts for snacks.
    Usually whatever I make for dinner, I pack leftovers for lunch the next day, so I have a hot lunch. Hot lunch makes me very happy.
    I make a rough plan for the dinners for the week before doing my shopping on the weekend. That keeps me from being tempted to pick up unhealthy food for a quick meal. Our meals generally consist of a meat, a starch--rice, potatoes, or pasta, and two vegetables. I buy frozen steam in the bag vegetables, bags of salad, baby carrots, precut celery, clementines, bananas, and apples every week along with whatever else looks good to me or is on sale in the produce department. I always keep frozen blueberries on hand as well. I have three kids--one of which is a picky eater, and I work full time, so I'm a fan of short-cuts in meal preparation.
    Once or twice a week I cook our meat or other entree in a crockpot.
    The things I'm really trying to cut down on are processed foods and sugar.
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    Rice cakes with peanut butter/almond butter
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I really like egg & avocado salad on lightly salted, plain rice cakes. Normally I'd consider rice cakes to be "diet food" and not worth my time but the crunch in combination with the egg salad just does something for me. I used to take it to work all the time, the egg & avocado salad in a container, then load up the rice cakes at lunchtime and go to town.
  • PrimroseFlower
    PrimroseFlower Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and apple. Oranges. Boiled Eggs. Oatmeal. Almonds.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Veggies with hummus... strawberries with whipped cream... yum. lol :)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I like nut butter on celery sticks or cottage cheese with bell peppers. sometimes I just add a tsp of coconut oil to my coffee when I know I am low on fat and have already eaten and shouldn't be hungry.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »
    I find that keeping track of calories here is helpful, but I think I need even more structure. At this point, I'd like to try avoid white flour and refined sugar, and really want to just eat whole, nutrient-rich foods. I am finding it tough to feel full.

I'd love meal and snack ideas, including a few that are sort of on-the-go. Thanks in advance!

That looks good http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/no-bake-peanut-butter-granola-bars/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=Facebook
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to make a lot of cucumber sandwiches for quick lunches on the go.
  • zakhart
    zakhart Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Olive oil vinegar and honey on any greens is light and refreshing
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    weehah wrote: »

String cheese, hard-boiled eggs, Greek yogurt, and what Mom told you - an apple a day.
  • marieitouch98
    Options
    ilike yogurt .. regular not greek because its too thick and it makes me sick if ieat all of it .. ieat the 100 calorie packs of raw whole almonds, tuna pouches (deli style) .. isnack about 2.5hrs after my lunch to hold me over until the gym followed by dinner then a protein shake (: