Why throw crap into your body for the sake of it?

Options
bunnysone
bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
Harsh, but true.

Think about it. Over the past week I have read about fad diets, experiments with food, overeating because it was there, peer pressure and regret for doing so.

I have also heard comments like "make every calorie count", "treat your body as a temple", and "i feel amazing from changing my diet".

I understand that there are issues for many with food and those finding it difficult to be able to break the cycle of their eating habits.

But think about this as well - you are only going to get one shot. You get one body. Most people don't get the opportunity to replace worn bits with "spare parts".

Food is good. I love food, have had my share of cravings and enjoy eating out. But make it 10% of the time. If there is no reason to load your body with something that it will have trouble processing why do it? Save your body for when you really do need it to work for you, like celebrating a special occasion.

Make MFP work for you friends xx

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that's why most of us are here, to change our habits and that doesn't happen overnight.
  • Angela4Health
    Options
    Uh, I'm pretty sure that's why most of us are here, to change our habits and that doesn't happen overnight.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Harsh, but true.

Think about it. Over the past week I have read about fad diets, experiments with food, overeating because it was there, peer pressure and regret for doing so.

I have also heard comments like "make every calorie count", "treat your body as a temple", and "i feel amazing from changing my diet".

I understand that there are issues for many with food and those finding it difficult to be able to break the cycle of their eating habits.

But think about this as well - you are only going to get one shot. You get one body. Most people don't get the opportunity to replace worn bits with "spare parts".

Food is good. I love food, have had my share of cravings and enjoy eating out. But make it 10% of the time. If there is no reason to load your body with something that it will have trouble processing why do it? Save your body for when you really do need it to work for you, like celebrating a special occasion.

Make MFP work for you friends xx

SWEET!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Premium fuel for best results.
  • bunnysone
    Options

Exactly. It takes time. And it's why I'm here. But sometimes you need to stop and think about the bigger picture, rather than "oops, I shouldnt have eaten that, I'll try harder tomorrow". Sometimes you need to think of your body as an amazing machine that needs to be well cared for as much as a loved piece of machinery, like a BMW :)
  • Angela4Health
    Options

Exactly. It takes time. And it's why I'm here. But sometimes you need to stop and think about the bigger picture, rather than "oops, I shouldnt have eaten that, I'll try harder tomorrow". Sometimes you need to think of your body as an amazing machine that needs to be well cared for as much as a loved piece of machinery, like a BMW :)

Not sometimes. We should always be conscious of what we put into our bodies. That doesn't mean if we decide to put crap in on occassion we should be kicking our own arses up and down the street all day. That's pretty pointless. So is this post in my opinion, LOL.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    personally I dont see the difference in having that item you crave and love daily in moderation..verses saving the cravings for a special occasion or celebration...10% isnt my magic number personally I love to eat and I want to enjoy the things I eat 100% of the time...just in moderation...for those that eat clean and healthy 90% of the time Im really happy for them if thats what they enjoy..its all a different experience for everyone weight loss , weight goals, reasons...not everyone is here to eat clean or seemingly perfect 90% of the day.
  • bunnysone
    Options

Not sometimes. We should always be conscious of what we put into our bodies. That doesn't mean if we decide to put crap in on occassion we should be kicking our own arses up and down the street all day. That's pretty pointless. So is this post in my opinion, LOL.

Love it! It's really good to see people coming out and commenting on something so simple and basic - such a simple idea that I've never posted before because we all seem to take this kind of thing for granted - eat crap - kick your butt and train hard.

What would happen I wonder if we resisted a little more?

Love hearing from you Angela!
  • jamiek89
    jamiek89 Posts: 105
    Options
    I wish crap 'fuel' didnt taste so good :(
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So many people make such a big issue out of food and does it really help? I doubt it.

I choose to eat what I like, and there is no guilt, no regret, and most importantly, NO FOOD ISSUE.

I am not saying go all out at McDonalds, but if you want a freakin candy bad, just do it and move forward.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options

I wrote a long rant on this very thing, but I think it would offend some who want to keep their head in the sand.

Anyway the crap fuel tastes so good because it's been iteratively engineered to appeal to your tastebuds at the expense of some self-control. And there's more of it because portion sizes and the crammed in empty calories mean you can eat way more than your daily needs -- in one meal.

It's an Eatertainment culture we live in, folx. No longer is it "eat for nutrition first and occasionally have a sugary treat, too" -- it is now every meal has to be a party in our mouths, *and* we have to have desserts and sugary/fatty snacks, all day, too.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

I wrote a long rant on this very thing, but I think it would offend some who want to keep their head in the sand.

Anyway the crap fuel tastes so good because it's been iteratively engineered to appeal to your tastebuds at the expense of some self-control. And there's more of it because portion sizes and the crammed in empty calories mean you can eat way more than your daily needs -- in one meal.

It's an Eatertainment culture we live in, folx. No longer is it "eat for nutrition first and occasionally have a sugary treat, too" -- it is now every meal has to be a party in our mouths, *and* we have to have desserts and sugary/fatty snacks, all day, too.

Crap fuel doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I had a fast food burger, because my brain told me I wanted it. It tasted like cardboard and I didn't eat more than a couple bites before I just made my own homemade burger.

Anymore, I only want the sweets during TOM, and I eat them, but not in excess. I think it's a tricky balance for a lot of us, and I am thankful that I don't have an addiction to food, or any serious issues with food.
  • Misslionheart
    Options
    Well, the worst I've done was McD*nalds quarter pounder with cheese, 2 cheeseburgers, a cinnamon doughnut and my 6yr olds leftover Happy M*al. But! To compensate, I went for a skinny latte..Go me!
  • jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Well, the worst I've done was McD*nalds quarter pounder with cheese, 2 cheeseburgers, a cinnamon doughnut and my 6yr olds leftover Happy M*al. But! To compensate, I went for a skinny latte..Go me!
    Ha HA that is so real. lets face it many of us are on here exactly because of this. But now we know better. :blushing:
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Crap fuel doesn't even taste good to me anymore. I had a fast food burger, because my brain told me I wanted it. It tasted like cardboard and I didn't eat more than a couple bites before I just made my own homemade burger.

Anymore, I only want the sweets during TOM, and I eat them, but not in excess. I think it's a tricky balance for a lot of us, and I am thankful that I don't have an addiction to food, or any serious issues with food.

You'll find that once you take only a little bit of crap in, that real foods start tasting so much better. It's a kind of addiction that once you take a stand and break from it, you relatively quickly stop craving it so much. Once in a while maybe you have an onset but often when you cave you find that it doesn't taste as good as you remembered, because you are no longer accustomed to it.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Fuel is fuel. At the end of the day, if everything is tight and you eat a 90% healthy diet, the other 10% of those nutrients (believe me, you can go even higher than that...) doesn't even matter in terms of "quality."

So if you eat healthy, but want to have a day where you eat at buffalo wild wings, have a beer or 2, and have some ice cream...account for that before hand, and make sure it fits your daily limits.

I throw whatever I feel like eating into my body, because fuel is fuel at the end of the day. As long as I keep a relatively clean diet most of the time, it's not cheating if I have an entire cup of ice cream for dinner - it's living.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    Personally, I like how I feel now that I'm paying attention to what I'm fueling myself with a lot more than I did when I just didn't care. I do have more energy, my fibromyalgia symptoms are improving. Even if I don't lose weight quickly, I feel better, and to me that is worth it. I still splurge on things sometimes, but I am finding that a little goes a long way. I don't think it's living to stop caring what you eat. Living is being able to enjoy food without killing yourself slowly. And I finally eat food because I enjoy it again.
  • WeakCalves
    WeakCalves Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I throw whatever I feel like eating into my body, because fuel is fuel at the end of the day. As long as I keep a relatively clean diet most of the time, it's not cheating if I have an entire cup of ice cream for dinner - it's living.

This. I agree 100%.
    And it is also about personal responsibility. Yes, I will have some crap food once in a while because some things taste so good, or because I love candy. But most of the time I am eating clean and I don't go around lecturing anybody about what they eat. If anybody asks me about my diet, I will be more than happy to explain and help, but I would never tell grown up people what to eat.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    I guess I just don't associate food as living. I know it's necessary to stay alive, but when I think of living, I think of what I can do to better myself, and the world I live in for my children. Sounds cheesy, I know. Food is just the fuel that keeps me going. I think the association a lot of Americans have with food is unhealthy. It becomes more than it is, fuel. I think this ideology is fueled by food companies because they profit from it.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Food is enjoyable and should be enjoyed as such. Should it be an obsession? No. But you should enjoy your foods and the variety of foods out there, including 'unhealthy' ones.