NUTRIONALISTS???? DIETITIONS???? HELP!!

Options
RoxMyWorld
RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
I have been on MFP for about 6 weeks. I am not losing alot at all. I am ok with slow and all that and I am ok with taking my time.

For about two weeks now I have been feeling AWFUL I feel nauseated and tired and hot in the afternoons more so then any other time. I do not have a flue and I cant explain the feeling very well, feels like I am about to get heart burn all the time. I am wondering if I am eating too LITTLE?? When I first signed up the program told me I should eat 1950 calories everyday net. I was not losing any weight so I reduced it to 1600 calories a couple weeks ago and I think this might be the cause but I am still not losing.

I went from probably 2500 a day eating junk and carbs and poutine and pizza and stuff everyday with constant nightly binges of chips and pop and no working out to eating 1600 calories a day and running 5kms on my elliptical five days a week, doing ab work three nights a week and weights two nights a week. Im not sure what I am doing wrong or why I feel so awful. I am trying to get in touch with my doctor but she is impossible to get into see to get a refferral to a dietician just thought I would see if I could get some help out there???

Replies

• Sarahdangerfox
    Options
    I am definitely no expert, but I have had that problem too and it turned out I was just mildly hypoglycemic and eating the wrong stuff. Make sure you get in plenty of protein and complex carbs and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Extra water, especially before you exercise, will go a long way towards making you feel better in terms of nausea, dizziness and that heartburny feeling.

You should definitely discuss this with a doctor or dietician though. It's important to find a program that's right for you!
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but it could be your body detoxing from all the fat and carbs you used to eat. I cut out carbs totally once...kind of the atkins thing...and got the worste migrain...like blinding pain and couldn't see things without a white line through it. My doc said it's my body being so addicted to the surgars and cemicals in processed foods.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    ....The one thing that screams in my mind to ask is if you're eating the NET amount of your intake...?

Lowering your daily intake and burning more calories just creates a black hole for your metabolism. I will allow the calmer of the community to ease you into the reality of it.

For now, read this, and the links provided within:

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Well I can't see your food diary but on your profile you mention you have some medical issues... maybe that is playing into it? Meet with your regular doctor if you can't see a dietician, she should be able to help just fine

It could be as simple as your body adjusting to the change or it could be tied into the aforementioned problems, it cold even be the type of food you're eating (something new you are allergic to?) without more info no one can really help you hun, and your doctor should be the first person to help you :(
  • SJHiker
    SJHiker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You should probably open your food diary for people to take a look at. I was feeling awful, but my calories were in the correct range. A few people asked if I were eating enough protein and in fact I wasn't. When I increased the protein I felt much better and still am. It's not just calories in/out. The nutritional content make a difference in how you will fuel your body. Keep us posted! Good luck. (and still see a doctor to rule out any other possibilities)
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    It might help if you made your diary public.

I am not a nutritionist, but I would check all your settings. Make sure you have your right height, age gender and activity level and weight loss goal in there correctly. I don't know what your stats are, but I am 5'4, 193lb, 38 yro and I have a sedentary job. I get 1430 calories a day to eat, to lose 1lb a week. 1800 calories seems like a lot of calories to me.

The other thing is make sure you are making wise choices with those calories. If you are not eating all day and then having one high calorie meal, that won't cut it.

The other thing is to make sure you are getting an acurate calorie count on exercise. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor. I find the elliptical machine always gives me higher calories than I truly burn according to my heart rate monitor.

Best wishes to you.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Is there a chance that you could be pregnant? That sounds like pregnancy symptoms to me.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i know this has absolutely nothing to do with helping you, but i just have to say mmmmm.....poutine. i have been craving that for the past few days since i was talking about it with my boyfriend the other day (he's american and tried it the last time he visited me, and is hooked but can't get it now that he is home).

as to the problems youa re having. i am with one previous post asking if you were eating back your exercise cals. i know if i don't eat enough, i feel awful, and don't lose any weight. i am not exercising, but i have a fairly physical job that acts like exercise. i feel a lot better when i eat all the cals i am supposed to, and i also lose weight that way. my cal limit is just a little higher than your original one, and i know it's a lot to eat, specially if you then have to add the exercise cals on too, but it is worth it.
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    the only option that I see is to go to the Doctor...get a physical and get a referral to a dietician! if you can't get a hold of your PCP then change it with your insurance to a new one that has more availability! good luck!
  • jbudzins1
    jbudzins1 Posts: 17
    Options
    Your progress says that you lost 5 lbs. - that is almost a pound a week, that's not bad if you ask me. You shouldn't feel sick though maybe you should check in with your doctor and see what he/she thinks just to be safe.
  • RoxMyWorld
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has replied.

I do eat spread over the day I eat at 545am after my run, 9am, noon, 2pm and 6pm.

I do have a heart monitor so I know my calories burned are right.

I do eat back my exercise calories.

I do have PCOS but take my medication faithfully for it.

I do eat whole grains (try to limit carbs) and protein (always eat my protein allowance) and I have been making sure my fibre intake is high.

I do drink water, tons of water.

I do try and get at least 7 hours sleep.

I am 6ft tall. 233 lbs. Started at 289lbs (heaviest) back in 2009. Lost 60lbs when I got divorced withouth trying all that hard just stress and now trying to do everything right to lose another 60 and well.......very frustrated.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that has replied.

I do eat spread over the day I eat at 545am after my run, 9am, noon, 2pm and 6pm.

I do have a heart monitor so I know my calories burned are right.

I do eat back my exercise calories.

I do have PCOS but take my medication faithfully for it.

I do eat whole grains (try to limit carbs) and protein (always eat my protein allowance) and I have been making sure my fibre intake is high.

I do drink water, tons of water.

I do try and get at least 7 hours sleep.

I am 6ft tall. 233 lbs. Started at 289lbs (heaviest) back in 2009. Lost 60lbs when I got divorced withouth trying all that hard just stress and now trying to do everything right to lose another 60 and well.......very frustrated.

a-ha....this helps somewhat, lol. Are you on metformin? And if so, has your doctor adjusted your dosage since you lost those 60 lbs? (FYI, I also have PCOS)
  • RoxMyWorld
    Options
    I am on Metformin three times a day and it sucks lol

No I have not had my dose adjusted since I lost the weight I have been on three day for years

I know I dont eat amazing....I look at other diaries who eat all this fruit and protein powder and oatmeal concoctions for lunch and stuff and I am not at that place lol but I should see some change
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I am on Metformin three times a day and it sucks lol

No I have not had my dose adjusted since I lost the weight I have been on three day for years

I know I dont eat amazing....I look at other diaries who eat all this fruit and protein powder and oatmeal concoctions for lunch and stuff and I am not at that place lol but I should see some change

Yep, Metformin sucks! lol....but I would have your doctor check everything out, if you haven't lately. My doctor checks my bloodwork every 3-6 months. It sounds to me from your symptoms you might be having some low blood sugar moments - could be your dosage is too high for the lower weight you are at now. I'm no doctor or expert, but it could be worth looking into.

Reading back to your OP, it could be that you are not eating enough, in combination with what I said above. It sounds to me like your symptoms coincided with when you reduced your calorie intake? I know it's all kinds of complicated when you are trying to monitor your carb/calorie intake but also trying to exercise & lose weight, so I hope you find a solution soon!

Oh, and don't worry about what other people are eating - everyone is different, so find what works for you! I am sure you are doing much better choosing healthier foods than before. There are no magic pills or foods lol...just some better than others!