what 1200 calorie plan is better?

Options
Hello my fellow people, so i know the difference between eating healthy and not eating healthy. My question is, is there a difference on the rate of losing weight if u eat up to 1200 calories of only healthy food? Or if you eat 1200 calories of whatever you want?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can have balanced meals to get to your calorie goal, or you can eat 4 and 1/2 mars bars per day and get there :) I doubt you will live long doing the second, but you will lose weight ;)
  • lakhena
    lakhena Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want, but I tend to be pretty balanced anyways. I haven't lost as quickly as others have, but it's going down... slowly.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's not about which is better, it's about what is going to work best for you.

With my calorie goal so low (1200 calories) I tend to eat pretty "healthy" since I can't afford to eat lays chips and reeses cups all throughout the day but I do eat whatever I want pretty much. My diary is open if you want to see what my days are like.

Eating at a deficit (which is what is needed to lose weight) and exercising regularly (which is what is needed to stay healthy and get in shape) has helped me lose 3 lbs so far, and it's only been a month.
  • NewMeAB2015
    NewMeAB2015 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for the input. I have tried both ways on eating healthy and whatever i want but not passing 1200 calories a day.It has just never accured to me until now if there is a diff in rate of losing weight amongst the two.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, 1200 is 1200. For nutrition, try to hit your macros.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I couldn't eat 1200 calories of only "junk" food and be satisfied or feel good. Theoretically, if you could and your activity was the same, you'd lose basically the same, but quite possibly not keep the same muscle mass as with a better diet or look as good for other reasons.

On the other hand, while I would try to eat mostly nutrient dense items if on 1200, since it's such a low number (I did 1250 for a while), I know I'd eventually want a more flexible diet (as I did when at 1250) that included occasional items that weren't chosen for their nutrient profile (like some occasional fries or ice cream or pie). I'd also eventually want more calories.

My question is why is it all healthy or all "junk"? Why not eat mostly healthy with occasional "fun" foods or some other ratio? (And why 1200? Why not exercise and eat more calories?)

All up to you, though--experiment and see what works best.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is 1200 calories.

The question is which 1200 calories will make you feel best? Probably a mix of both. You should strive for a mix of at least 80% really nutritious foods that supply you with a good mix of protein, fats and carbs. That will leave you a few calories for a little treat to fill out the other 20%. For your mental health. So that way, what you're doing doesn't feel so restrictive.

Most people don't feel sated eating all junk food. Most people don't feel satisfied eating all "healthy food". Allowing a judicious mix of both strikes a balance that will more likely set the stage for a true lifestyle change. It will be sustainable, even into maintenance.
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    As of right now i am doing a mixture of healthy foods n not so healthy for a total of 1200cal and I do at least 1 hour of exercise a day. I was just curious to see if eating healthy vs. Eating unhealthy would have a different weight loss rate at 1200cal. Even thought i do know no matter what u eat at 1200 cal everyone will lose weight. I really appreciate all the feedback :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 calories ...are you tiny? You are eating back exercise cals too right?

1200 is 1200 for weight loss

Health comes from good nutrition
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Hello my fellow people, so i know the difference between eating healthy and not eating healthy. My question is, is there a difference on the rate of losing weight if u eat up to 1200 calories of only healthy food? Or if you eat 1200 calories of whatever you want?

No, a calorie is a calorie and whatever you eat 1200 calories of will be the same result weight loss wise. But of course, there are still choices to make and 1200 calories of ice cream only will likely leave you feeling hungry and deprived and more likely to then eat more. Not to mention the health implications of eating only icecream, but I digress.

Your profile says you have 60lbs to lose, do you know your TDEE? You may well be able to eat a lot more than 1200 calories and lose weight.
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    No im not tiny i wish! And yes i want to lose 60lbs and according to my stats in order to lose weight i should eat 1200 calories a day.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I eat 1100 to 1200 a day...I have cut out a lot of junk food and sweets simply because they don't keep me full. And I don't miss them most days. If I do get a craving (like the Reese's pb eggs!), I make room in my calories for one. But I will say it took me about a month on 1200 and playing with different foods before I didn't feel hungry at the end of the day. I am hungry when I get up in the morning, but food that early doesn't sit well. I have my coffee and that subsides my hunger for a couple of hours. Then I am ready to eat my eggs or whatever else I had planned. :smiley:
  • ausf
    ausf Posts: 51
    Options
    Eat 1400 and watch your macro for weight lose cut suger but not completely switch white flour to whole wheat
    And eat 50 clean 50 junkie :) thats what work for me with exercise 5 days a week
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    1200 good calories and 1200 bad calories are not the same thing! Yes, calories in, calories out, but.... Your body needs what you get from good calories for healthy functioning. You might still lose a little eating bad foods, but your body will suffer in other ways - not feeling satisfied - leading to over eating and /or binging, not being fueled properly for exercise, feeling fatigued, being nutrient deficient (can cause a host of symptoms), etc. Eat good foods and some bad calories every now and then. If you are fueling with the good foods and exercising regularly, your body can better handle and burn through the bad calories when you have them.
  • nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    sponge cake for breakfast (eggs), fruit cake for lunch (vitamins) and carrot cake for dinner (vegetable)
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    1200 is 1200. 2 filet of fishes and a coke. however, you will probably feel better if you eat nutrient dense foods. good luck!
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Why did you choose 1200? If you're working out an hour a day do you eat those calories back?
  • dottyb1tchmouse
    dottyb1tchmouse Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1200 is a low number so if you eat calorie-dense unhealthy food, you'll reach your limit a lot quicker and still feel hungry whereas if you eat healthy food you can eat a larger quantity since it's usually lower in calories.

My goal is also 1200 and I eat healthy and I have a hard time not going over without starving myself for part of the day.
  • NewMeAB2015
    Options
    I chose 1200 because according to my stats thats what i should eat to lose weight
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I chose 1200 because according to my stats thats what i should eat to lose weight

To lose weight, or lose 2lbs per week? That sounds low to just "lose weight" at your age.