Pre-Make protein powder?

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
Is the protein still good if I make a protein drink in the morning, but drink it later in the day?

I guess I'm asking if the protein breaks down. I use whey protein, typically and mix it with milk. I would like to make it at home, and stick it in the fridge and have it later with lunch. But, I'm not sure if that's ok.

Thanks

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I was hoping someone would answer this too LOL. I have seen cups just for protein powders where there is a separate but attached container at the top for powder and your liquid is kept in the bottom. When you are ready, you do a twist of the top and the powder drops in then you mix. I wish I had bought one now.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Anything more than a day or two, & it spoils.
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It will get clumpy, but no, it won't spoil in the fridge if it's just later in the day. You might want to leave it in the shaker bottle, and give it a good shake again before drinking. However, my protein powder gets pretty congealed, and I'm still left with a few globs even after re-shaking it. If you can bring the powder along in a separate container to work, that's definitely the way to go!

@Amazonmayan That container sounds really cool!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    The back of my container says to consume within 15 minutes of mixing...so, maybe?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    It will be fine, but mine kinda gets grainy if I let it sit (I use body logix). What I do is put a scoop of protein powder in a snack size baggie (I do a bunch of these at once), then measure out my milk into a mason jar (also do a bunch of these at once.

When I leave the house I just grab one of each..when I'm ready to drink it I just dump and shale.
  • killydilly
    killydilly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found when I left my shake in the fridge overnight, it took on a metallic taste, possibly from the shaker ball.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I found a different blender cup today. It's different from the one I talked about before, but it does have a screw on container at the bottom that you can keep protein powder in. It also has some little pill keeper thing in it I guess for supplements? I got it at walmart for 10 bucks.
    5338ll4bpxxf.jpg
  • bbyblu82
    bbyblu82 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The protein powder I use spefically does not recommend premixing because there are live enzymes that are activated once water touches it and it is recommended to consume within 10min.