Maybe this isn't the place for this post . . .

Options
. . . but I'm frustrated.

Three days after I got a plan at the gym, one that I felt I could commit to, and one day after I learned I have arthritis in both knees, I *twisted* both knees. I don't yet know the prognosis for the right, but I'm having surgery on the left on 3/19.

I am frustrated because now I can't do cardio or any strength training below the waist. I am going to the gym to work my upper body, but I feel -- inadequate.

I felt ready to commit, then lost my legs.

Has this happened to you? I guess I'd just like to know if I'm not alone, and if this has happened to you, what your experience was, how you felt about it, etc.

Replies

• Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This happens to me constantly. Every time I make progress, something happens. Slip a disc, arthritis kicks up, chronic fatigue... The results come from the grind. Work -around- your injuries, do what you can. You'll be better off for it.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool? Swimming is a great weightless workout.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Dang, that really sucks. The timing, of course, but also just being injured. (I am right now, too. It threw me into a tailspin of very bad depression, in answer to your question of "how I feel about it." I only just this week started to be able to do a little more cardio and it's like the world is reborn.)

So...what are you going to do about it? Are you going to wallow, and let the setback in one small area (working out) drag you down and out of your overall goal of getting fit? Or are you going to say, "Hey, weight loss (assuming that's a goal of yours!) is 80% diet, I've totally got that, and I can still work on my upper body and core to preserve lean muscle mass! Surgery's in less than a month, and pretty soon after that I'll have a physical therapist guiding me through the process of regaining strength! What an awesome resource!"
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. It sucks to be thrown by injury when you're feeling gung-ho. (So far, I've had tendonosis/tendonitis in my peroneal tendon (feet), right rotator cuff, and right forearm; plantar fasciitis; patellofemoral syndrome; osteoarthritis in knees, hips, and toes, knock wood nothing else happens (but who knows).)

The number one thing right now is getting your knees taken care of. You want them to be in the best shape they can be. cheshirecatastrophe's right - what you have to do, when it's time for rehab, is take that dead seriously. Make that your whole focus.

Before then, you can do stuff with diet. Maybe you could put some energy into planning how you'll recover - start reading about the kind of rehab you'll do, for example.

Not weight loss related - lower body injuries really suck because they limit your mobility and independence. With the loss of mobility, in addition to losing out on your fitness goals and your general sense of comfort in your body, it's easy to start feeling isolated. Very easy to start feeling low. Make sure you see or at least talk to friends as often as possible. Make use of support. Say yes when people offer to help with rides and things like that. Even if it costs a little, take a taxi if you have to, to get out once in a while for a change of scene.
  • Bertha63
    Bertha63 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Work -around- your injuries, do what you can. You'll be better off for it.

Thanks, Reloader. That's my plan.

• Bertha63
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    Does your gym have a pool? Swimming is a great weightless workout.

Azkunk, unfortunately, no pool. It's Planet Fitness. I chose it because of their policy of no intimidation. They have a strict dress code -- they don't allow tights, stuff that goes up the crack, muscle shirts, etc. I wear sweats and a t-shirt, and so does most everybody else. I'm *not* intimidated, and if I were, I probably wouldn't go.

If I could swim, I would. I'm lousy at it, but I'd do it.

• Bertha63
    Options
    Are you going to wallow, and let the setback in one small area (working out) drag you down and out of your overall goal of getting fit? Or are you going to say, "Hey, weight loss (assuming that's a goal of yours!) is 80% diet, I've totally got that, and I can still work on my upper body and core to preserve lean muscle mass! Surgery's in less than a month, and pretty soon after that I'll have a physical therapist guiding me through the process of regaining strength! What an awesome resource!"

Cheshire, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I understand deep depression very well.

Nope, no wallowing. I am working on weight loss. It's coming very slowly. Right now I'm trying to limit carbs (I'm diabetic, naturally). I'm working with a licensed dietitian, who is teaching me how to eat well and who encourages me like a high school cheerleader. She is wonderful.

Of course I'm going to follow through with PT. I'm angry that I injured myself, especially when I did, and I'm not going to stay down!

• sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    3 months after I reached my goals and was thoroughly enjoying my hard work, I was diagnosed with cancer. I did battle for 2 and a half years. My arms only moved at 30 & 40%. Sometimes my only workout was walking to the mailbox.

But I never gave up. The mental exercise of keeping focused on the future is just as important as the physical workouts. Stay in the game no matter what.

9 months after my last operation, I felt like I was back. I was different. But I was back.

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Bertha63 wrote: »
    Are you going to wallow, and let the setback in one small area (working out) drag you down and out of your overall goal of getting fit? Or are you going to say, "Hey, weight loss (assuming that's a goal of yours!) is 80% diet, I've totally got that, and I can still work on my upper body and core to preserve lean muscle mass! Surgery's in less than a month, and pretty soon after that I'll have a physical therapist guiding me through the process of regaining strength! What an awesome resource!"

Cheshire, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I understand deep depression very well.

Nope, no wallowing. I am working on weight loss. It's coming very slowly. Right now I'm trying to limit carbs (I'm diabetic, naturally). I'm working with a licensed dietitian, who is teaching me how to eat well and who encourages me like a high school cheerleader. She is wonderful.

Of course I'm going to follow through with PT. I'm angry that I injured myself, especially when I did, and I'm not going to stay down!

You sound awesome. :)

One thing--if you can afford a gym with a pool (the Y offers discounted rates if applicable), do it! You might feel intimidated in the cardio room, but NEVER in the pool. I swim a couple times a week and am a regular in the same gym's fitness center, and the pool people are SO much more chill and welcoming (yes, even wordlessly). It's a very different atmosphere. Maybe because we're all running around in shiny lycra with condoms on our heads. Ain't nobody going to look impressive at that point.
  • hbortel
    hbortel Posts: 5
    Options
    I know the feeling because I basically pulled everything in my knee and am just now healthy enough to start running again even though I do have pain and that was in August of 2013. I had surgery and then about a month late I was doing a sit down bike on the lowest setting until I could do more.

I would say afterward or maybe even before surgery seeing if you can ride a bike since you don't have a pool.
  • eloise80
    eloise80 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I really feel for you. I suffer from many injuriesas well. I can't afford a gym membership with a pool so I had to look around for low impact workouts and things that didn't hurt me.

I have found that I'm really into barre and ballet beautiful on YouTube, and bought a few DVDs too. They don't hurt my back or hips when I modify exercises and ism losing and burning fat and most importantly building muscle to protect myself from further injury. Maybe give it a try? Start with Swan Arms on YouTube and try it sitting if you need to. You'll burn 100 calories in 15 min if you push hard all the way through!! :D
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says that boxing-style workouts are great cardio for the upper body while you recover from lower body injury. Maybe something to look into. Good luck! I've been slowed down with hip/back pain that seems to flair when I start my HIIT and heavy lifting again too soon, so I feel a smidgen of your pain. I've been stuck doing stretching "workouts" for a couple weeks-- makes it harder to keep my calorie goal too!
  • Bertha63
    Options
    But I never gave up. The mental exercise of keeping focused on the future is just as important as the physical workouts. Stay in the game no matter what.

9 months after my last operation, I felt like I was back. I was different. But I was back.

Your hard work and success are a wonderful example to me, Sunglasses. Congratulations on overcoming illness; congratulations on thriving!
  • Bertha63
    edited March 2015
    Options

You sound awesome. :)

You might feel intimidated in the cardio room, but NEVER in the pool.

I don't know, cheshire. I am huge. I have a couple of good bathing suits, but I'm still huge. I am embarrassed of my body, and as much as I know swimming would be so good for me (as I mentioned above, I think), I am quite leery of swimming among fit people. Besides, my swimming is just barely a level above dog paddling.

Condoms on our heads . . . :D

I sound awesome . . . :o You're sweet.

• Bertha63
    Options
    hbortel wrote: »
    I know the feeling because I basically pulled everything in my knee and am just now healthy enough to start running again even though I do have pain and that was in August of 2013. I had surgery and then about a month late I was doing a sit down bike on the lowest setting until I could do more.

I would say afterward or maybe even before surgery seeing if you can ride a bike since you don't have a pool.

I have a membership at Planet Fitness, and can ride a recumbent bike. I don't know how soon after surgery I'll be able to do that, but I plan to get to it as soon as PT says I can.

I'm glad you can run again -- but be wary of running with pain. Be careful, hbortel.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Bertha63 wrote: »
    . . . but I'm frustrated.

Three days after I got a plan at the gym, one that I felt I could commit to, and one day after I learned I have arthritis in both knees, I *twisted* both knees. I don't yet know the prognosis for the right, but I'm having surgery on the left on 3/19.

I am frustrated because now I can't do cardio or any strength training below the waist. I am going to the gym to work my upper body, but I feel -- inadequate.

I felt ready to commit, then lost my legs.

Has this happened to you? I guess I'd just like to know if I'm not alone, and if this has happened to you, what your experience was, how you felt about it, etc.

Yup, sure has and to a lot of us. Weight can be hard on joints, so can life in general, sports in the past, arthritis as we age. So many reasons but you can use a pool and do most anything you do on land. I run in the pool and the pain in my knees is gone, the energy is 100 fold! I take aqua classes, walk in the pool, do Pilates in the pool, Zumba, Tai Chi, Qi Gong (spelling wrong oops).

Some gyms offer punch cards or you can ask your surgeon to send you to a PT that offers a pool to do physical therapy in. Amazing how different a pool PT is compared to land. Water has a different way of healing, so much less pressure on the joints.

I want to say I'm truly sorry, it comes as shock, last year I ran up and down 3 flights of stairs where I live, not this year, now I have to use one step at a time and it drives me crazy how much longer things take. After surgery I hope to be back to my old self and be able to move like I used to. :)

Are you having scope or knee replacement? Scope is apiece of cake for recovery, replacement takes a bit longer but is good to have done then you can move on and do what you used to most times.

Definitely check out Youtube for vids on bad knees and you'll see 100's of videos that can strengthen the calf muscles and the thigh muscles, also strengthening the glutes helps a lot. Anything to give your knees more strengthen for after surgery and for the right one while it's decided what will done with that one.

whew, sorry on the length apparently I had a lot to say to you.. hope I gave you a bit of hope for the future life is not over... truly it isn't ;)
  • Bertha63
    Options
    eloise80 wrote: »
    They don't hurt my back or hips when I modify exercises and ism losing and burning fat and most importantly building muscle to protect myself from further injury. Maybe give it a try? Start with Swan Arms on YouTube and try it sitting if you need to. You'll burn 100 calories in 15 min if you push hard all the way through!! :D

Wow, Eloise, pushing hard is right! I did the first five minutes or so of Swan Arms and couldn't go any farther. I will keep trying, because I've got to work something while my lower half is out of commission.

I can see how you're losing fat and building muscle with these workouts. Thanks for the tip!

• Bertha63
    Options
    I've been stuck doing stretching "workouts" for a couple weeks-- makes it harder to keep my calorie goal too!

That must be very frustrating, determined, to have to limit yourself to such tame workouts when you're used to so much more.

I'll check out boxing-style workouts. I'm intrigued . . . I've always wanted to learn to punch somebod-- I mean, something.

• Bertha63
    Options
    I want to say I'm truly sorry, it comes as shock, last year I ran up and down 3 flights of stairs where I live, not this year, now I have to use one step at a time and it drives me crazy how much longer things take. After surgery I hope to be back to my old self and be able to move like I used to. :)

Are you having scope or knee replacement? Scope is apiece of cake for recovery, replacement takes a bit longer but is good to have done then you can move on and do what you used to most times. . . .

whew, sorry on the length apparently I had a lot to say to you.. hope I gave you a bit of hope for the future life is not over... truly it isn't ;)

With the attitude you display, I've no doubt your recovery will be quick and you'll be running the stairs again!

Scope on the left knee. I'm getting hyalgen injections in the right. Had my 4th shot today and reminded the doc that the right is fubar, too. She said, "can't do anything about it until we take car of the other one!" Yeah, but I reserve the right to *kitten*.

Thank you for your kind words, Hearts, and for telling me of your own experience.

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yep. Been there, done that. I had a stress fracture put me on the bench in my first year of running. Last year, after a bout with depression and minor, pesky injuries, as soon as I got my "mojo" back and started exercising and eating right again, I screwed up my SI joint in my back (not exercise related) and was unable to do anything more than stretching for months. I stuck with eating right, and lost 10 pounds over the summer and early fall, then I gained it all back in about three weeks after a steroid injection for my back.

BUT... I've been mostly pain free for about 4 months now, and the only thing holding me back is caution and wisdom to not jump in over my head. Weight wise, I'm back to where I was before I hurt myself, and fitness wise, much stronger. :)