is it normal to feel dizzy and tired/sleepy after workout?!

Options
happens very often to me that straight after a workout at the gym I feel dizzy (for at least 30minutes) or very tired or sleepy (feels like I missed some sleep that night but I didn t).

want to know if this is normal? does it happens to someone else as well?
and as well, can the lack of proteins influence your body that way? (I thouth maybe I m not having enouh proteins and those are the consequences?)

any advice/opinion is going to help.

Thank you

Replies

• itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It happens to me as well. Not so much dizzy as lightheadedness.
  • Patspoppet
    Patspoppet Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel sleepy after....sometimes I feel dizzy during but that is probably my blood pressure medicine I'm on for alports syndrome.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Unlikely protein or lack thereof is going to have this effect. Overheating, dehydration and low blood sugar can all have this effect. If you're in calorie deficit, the third item is by far the most likely. A carb snack an hour or so before working out, and another after should help.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,677 Member
    Options
    Ask your GP next time you visit the doctor. I'm guessing as a non professional that it could be an issue with blood pressure or blood glucose.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Unlikely protein or lack thereof is going to have this effect. Overheating, dehydration and low blood sugar can all have this effect. If you're in calorie deficit, the third item is by far the most likely. A carb snack an hour or so before working out, and another after should help.

This.

I had the same problem and found it was a dehydration issue. But blood sugar can be the culprit as well. But mainly, keep hydrated!
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    When I workout without some sort of light snack a bit before, my eyes start getting really heavy after my workout, like I'm just depleted and my body is going to shutdown. I noticed that if I have something a little before, like someone mentioned, I feel a lot better.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sleepy is normal, being dizzy is something that can be fixed. I would make sure to eat something small with carbs before working out giving some time for digestion. Drink lots of water, eat something with protein + carbs (or drink) after working out. If you are still dizzy, consider having your blood pressure checked.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Happens to me sometimes when I have an intense workout (looking at you, leg day). For me, it's usually low blood sugar I think because a glass of grape juice tends to fix it.
  • Mafuezee
    Mafuezee Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i get dizzy every single time
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Dizzy is not good. Sleepy afterward is fairly normal.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Nope, not normal.
    Drink more water. Lots of water. Your urine should be clear & very light yellow. (Unless you're taking a B-complex vitamin supplement, then it will be bright yellow.)

Protein probably isn't going to help the dizziness & tiredness, but electrolytes & fructose/glucose probably will.
    Have a banana before & after. Or some coconut water, if you like it. (Might even try a serving of gatoraide, but make it half-strength, and mind the calories.)

Having a protein snack after will help muscle recovery. A piece of mozzarella or chicken is fairly low fat. Or have an apple with peanut butter instead of the second banana. Some people swear by chocolate milk after a workout to cover both carbs & protein.
  • alealessia_13
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your answers!! :):)
  • alealessia_13
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Nope, not normal.
    Drink more water. Lots of water. Your urine should be clear & very light yellow. (Unless you're taking a B-complex vitamin supplement, then it will be bright yellow.)

Protein probably isn't going to help the dizziness & tiredness, but electrolytes & fructose/glucose probably will.
    Have a banana before & after. Or some coconut water, if you like it. (Might even try a serving of gatoraide, but make it half-strength, and mind the calories.)

Having a protein snack after will help muscle recovery. A piece of mozzarella or chicken is fairly low fat. Or have an apple with peanut butter instead of the second banana. Some people swear by chocolate milk after a workout to cover both carbs & protein.

I do drink lots of water during the day, especially during the workout. My urine is almost transparent. (I never feel as dehydrated)

I'm having a protein snack (or protein shake) after my workouts. But yet, I 'm never eating BEFORE working out(sometimes even up to 3-4h before)- so do you think this could cause my issues?

Thank you so much for your advices and time.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's possible you're hypoglycemic, but you need to see your doctor and get a fasting glucose test, and also get your blood pressure checked. Or you could try eating a banana before you work out and see if that fixes the problem without going through so much hassle.