WTF's going on with this?

Options
I compared caloric values for egg whites for this site against the FDA caloric value for egg whites. According to this website, a serving of 4 egg whites only equals 69 total calories. The FDA's calorie counter tool indicates that 4 egg whites is equivelant to 284 calories. Someone want to try to explain this? And, if this is the case, how reliable are the caloric values for all other foods on this site?

Replies

• warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    You have to make sure to read the boxes for what you're eating and try to find the logic. The nutritional info on product boxes is sometimes messed up too. A lot things are not 100% correct on this site BTW.
  • Madjohnbonny
    Options
    An entire egg is only 70-90 calories depending on its size. So are you sure you are looking just at egg whites?
  • irunwithscissors
    irunwithscissors Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    That must be for 4 whole eggs. A large whole egg has 70 calories in it. Most things are accurate here, but it's always a good idea to check a foods nutritional value with the package it came in.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're not looking up whole eggs because 4 whole eggs would be about 280ish calories, but not 4 egg whites.

MFP is accurate for egg whites.
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I just googled it (realizing there can be mistakes there as well) and an egg white in the top 10 sites is listed as 16-17 calories which would make the mfp entry correct.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I take everything on here with a "pinch of salt" and when I first use an item from the database either check against the labels - or another website.....
    Even duplicate items on here can have different values - so definitely worth doing a double check prior to using it....

Some items also does not have the full nutritional breakdown recorded e.g carb, protein etc - so beware...
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    Are you sure you're not looking up whole eggs because 4 whole eggs would be about 280ish calories, but not 4 egg whites.

MFP is accurate for egg whites.

agreed
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites every day, 3 to be exact. Each egg white is about 17 calories because the yolk is where the rest of the calories are.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I noticed when you search on egg whites sometimes it comes back with matches like white eggs which actually means whole eggs with a white shell.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It says 1 large egg white is 16 calories. You're just reading it wrong.

0X0Rg.png
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    yep, my box of egg whites says 30 cals for 2 egg whites so mfp is pretty close:smile:
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I often check the MFP values against other general values, sometimes close, right on, sometimes not so much or I have to look for one that is closer to the MFP value.
  • michelegrayson
    Options
    I think you read the wrong amount. I just went to the FDA calorie counter, entered in egg whites and selected the portion of 1 egg and it says: 16 calories which is about right.

The calories on this site are not always accurate and I do read the boxes/labels but in this case, they are correct!