WOW

Options
kindrabbit
kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've only gone and lost 5lbs in the first week!!!!

I am new to calorie counting and am a little obsessive at the best of times so calorie counting has sparked a new obsession in me :)

I have tracked and logged religiously. I have also changed my routine, walking the dog before breakfast so I am using fat stores rather than fuel from my last meal. I'm also now not snacking later in the evening (hard as I often finish work at 10 or 11pm). I ran my first 10k in 1hour 3 minutes on Wednesday!! (and 'earned' 600 calories for the pleasure!)

Anyway, my question is - now I have lost a little weight should my daily calorie allowance go down or should it stay at 1440 until I hit my target?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stay at 1440 for now.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss!

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have also changed my routine, walking the dog before breakfast so I am using fat stores rather than fuel from my last meal.

Your last meal doesn't digest for several hours. It doesn't matter when you eat or when you exercise. Calories in, calories out. Think of it as gas in a car which idles all day then uses more gas when you drive it. Doesn't matter when you fill it with gas, how long it idles, or when you drive it; the gas burned is going to be the same amount.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I think it has more to go with glucose and insulin levels etc. From what I understood (the conversation was more like a biology lesson!) if you exercise when you are in the process of digesting your food your body will take the 'energy' from the food. If you exercise on an empty stomach your body will take the fuel from your fat stores. Of course you still need energy to fuel your muscles so he's not suggesting I work out on an empty stomach but doing low level exercise like walking is fine. I think that is way over simplified but that was the basics of what he was saying.

It actually fits in with my routine more anyway as I can concentrate on getting my daughter out the door and can sit down and eat my breakfast in peace!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Hey, as long as it works, keep doing it!!!
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. If it's not broken, don't fix it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it has more to go with glucose and insulin levels etc. From what I understood (the conversation was more like a biology lesson!) if you exercise when you are in the process of digesting your food your body will take the 'energy' from the food. If you exercise on an empty stomach your body will take the fuel from your fat stores. Of course you still need energy to fuel your muscles so he's not suggesting I work out on an empty stomach but doing low level exercise like walking is fine. I think that is way over simplified but that was the basics of what he was saying.

It actually fits in with my routine more anyway as I can concentrate on getting my daughter out the door and can sit down and eat my breakfast in peace!

Your body will constantly fluctuate between fat burning or burning glycogen. If your maintain the same deficit, your loss will be the same. So in reality, there is very little, if any, difference in working out fasted. Personally, my performance is significantly hindered when I work out fasted.

Additionally, the big loss is very common the first week or two. This is because most people tend to eat more nutrient dense foods which are lower in sodium.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I'm excited too because everyday I wake up and the scale is showing a lower number. So it's really motivating me to keep it up.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and congratulations! Isn't it a great feeling?