Pregnancy and losing weight.

Options
Created a throw away as many of my friends frequent this site. I just found out that I am pregnant (first time and terrified). I've been on this site for a few months tracking my food and exercise religiously.
I'm wondering if i should be changing anything that I am doing. I am looking for advice as I cannot see my dr for a few weeks.

I started here at the beginning of jan
Starting weight 287
Current weight 276
I am 5'4
I am 33
I have been exercising 5 days a week for the last month and a half usually 30-40 min of cardio on an elliptical.
I have been eating 1450 calories per day and 90% of the time not eating back exercise calories. I eat mostly organic non processed foods (meat and salad for dinner, sandwich for lunch, smoothie with lots of greens or oatmeal for breakfast) but do have a cheat every week and a half which usually consists of a 5 guys burger.

On average I keep my sugar to under 30g per day, it mainly comes from frozen fruit from my smoothies/oatmeal, the big 16 squirrel bread and any organic milk or cottage cheese I use that day.

I read a lot of articles saying I should not being trying to lose weight while pregnant but being as big as I am I think watching what i eat is one of the healthiest things I can do at the moment, I'm just not sure what calories i should be aiming for to not over do it. Obviously staying as nutrient dense as possible is very important. Advice would be appreciated to supplement me until my Dr's appt!

Replies

• Throw_away1
    Options
    anyone?
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    The best person to ask about this is going to be your OB. However, I will tell you that barring any high risk situations, you can keep exercising with out any problems. Your OB can tell you what calorie goal he or she would like you to aim for. You don't want to under eat when you are pregnant, so be sure and get an appointment asap.
  • Throw_away1
    Options
    Thanks. My appointment was made as soon as her next opening is, unfortunately its not for almost 2 weeks. =( I'm just going to have to stick to listening to my body for now and if i get truly hungry (not just snacky or craving something) then I'll up my calories to adjust.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I was told to lose weight through both of my pregnancies and was down about 15lbs by the end of each. My babies were very healthy and were normal weights. My son was 7lbs 5oz at 40 weeks and my daughter was 8lbs at 39 weeks :-)
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I was 300 lbs starting my pregnancy when I was pregnant. I was not told to lose weight. Instead I was only told to not gain more than 20 lbs. However, with morning sickness and what you might end up losing weight and that's okay. You should not be dieting though. Secondly, I am 252 right now and set to lose 1 lb a week with a sedentary lifestyle and I am allowed 1860 calories so 1400 something sounds awful. Especially if you're trying to grow a life. But this is just my opinion. If you exercised before pregnancy, you shouldn't stop. It's healthy to continue exercising just don't over exert yourself. I wouldn't worry about logging. Watch your sugars and eat healthy and drink plenty of water. Good luck to you.
    PS. I am not a doctor, but these are things my OB told me. These are just my opinions.
  • Throw_away1
    Options
    oh! interesting! did they give you any idea about calories?
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    that sounds extremely low in calories with exercise bordering like eating disorder levels. You NEED to talk to a doctor, they'll probably tell you to eat enough to maintain weight or gain no more than 20-25lbs.

We aren't doctors, don't risk harm to your child by taking our advice, go to a doctor. I'm harsh I know.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Right now my advice would be to continue as planned with your diet/exercise and get yourself a prenatal and take that ASAP.

I would have your OBGYN recommend an OTC one or have them call out a script.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby 7 weeks ago. The first trimester I ate at maintenance. 2nd Trimester I upped it 150 calories, and 3rd trimester was 300 calories. I gained a little under 25 lbs and I now have 5 lbs to lose to get to my pre-pregnancy/MFP weight (I'm still overweight for my height, btw, even after losing 58 lbs before getting pregnant). I tracked my exercise and logged my food everyday.

My advice would be to up your calories to maintenance, at the very least, until you can discuss your nutritional and calorie needs with your Doctor.
    You can still track your calories and exercise, etc, but worry about losing weight after the baby comes.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For what its worth, I was in the military when I became pregnant...so I was of course working out every day, and continued to work out every day until 3 days before I gave birth. It was a modified training program, but to be honest, still more intense thaN the types of workouts Im doing right now (lol *sigh*) Then I went right back to working out about 2 weeks after I had kiddo.

Anyway, as far as food, I would think that as long as you are eating nutritious meals, then you'll be fine. I mean honestly? I cant say much of anything at all as far as food goes. All I wanted to eat when I was pregnant was multi-grain cheerios. Thats it...the thought of eating anything else made me ill. I didnt get an appetite to expand my menu until I was about 7 months along, and then it was chocolate cake and multi-grain cheereos. So yeah, I can't even pretend I can give you advice with that LoL

(btw, kiddo was born healthy, and huge!! I gained like 60lbs (I know right?!) but lost it all within 2 months, and ironically...my daughter is 18 now, and still cant stand anything multi-grain..ESPECIALLY multi-grain cheereos!)
  • saralynrice
    Options
    Just be healthy and don't work yourself too hard. But keep tracking ur food and exercising, and u will be fine. Don't focus on losing weight, focus on getting healthy, but if ur hungry, eat, just pick something healthy.
  • Throw_away1
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! It really helps! Like i said multiple times, I am going to first appointment the drs office had available for me which is almost 2 weeks from now, If i could get in sooner i would, This is not due to me being too busy (I would go today, tomorrow or make any day work if they had a apt available). I realize that none of you are medical professionals, I just couldn't wait to start asking questions!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Being pregnant for the first time is exciting and terrifying. You have got a lot to learn in a short time!

My advice is similar to the others. I would set your calories to maintenance and keep your exercise the same. You certainly don't need to 'eat for two' and exercise during pregnancy is a great way to avoid gaining excess weight and keeping you fit for the physical strain of pregnancy and birth.

A chemist can give you advice on pre natal vitamins but you certainly need to start taking folic acid asap.

Good luck and enjoy :)
  • scrapbookingtm
    scrapbookingtm Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options
    I would not restrict calories (eat a normal amount not over) but make the most of what you eat (so the baby get what he needs). Keep up with your exercise, it will help with delivery. My second baby I followed this, gained 8 lbs and my baby weighed 8.4 and was in perfect health. But do follow your Dr. advice as soon as you see him/her. Good luck.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Weight gain is generally not needed during the first trimester. But definitely follow your OBs advice on this one.

Every OB I know has a nurse that triages phone calls. Please call the office and ask to speak to the nurse. I'm sure that is a common concern and she should be able to address it.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You might want to ask your OB about having a goal of weight maintenance during your pregnancy. Here's a resource to check out:

opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/study-shows-overweight-pregnant-women-can-safely-lose-weight/

The way that you describe your eating sounds fine for now. Consider printing off your diary to share with your OB at your appointment.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I didn't try to lose weight while pregnant, but I did lose weight, mostly thanks to lots of horrible morning sickness. I also tried to lightly exercise daily. I still ended up gaining the weight back in the third trimester and keeping it all to boot (hence being here). I'd say just try to make healthy choices and lightly exercise and monitor how you're doing.
  • kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Even if your appointment isn't for a mother two weeks, call the office tomorrow. The nurse can ask the doctor what she thinks you should do in between now and when she sees you in two weeks. She will either tell you to keep with the deficit or to eat at a maintenance level until she can do an evaluation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Definitely call. That would be way too little food even if you were not pregnant... You need to eat much more than that.
  • mel02monroe
    mel02monroe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Could you call the doctors nurse or your gp to get some advise? A public forum is probably not the best place for health and individual specific advise.