Where am I going wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• TimTim15552
    Options
    I beg to differ. Exercise burns calories and that's a definite plus. Exercise also boosts your metabolism. And maybe it's just me, but exercise makes me feel better and inspires me to eat fewer calories. Exercise plays a MAJOR part in losing weight.

The amount of exercise that is necessary to even burn the calories of one extra apple is unproportionally high. You physically can't exercise enough to make up for a diet that has too many calories.

This I disagree with, yes I admit that just doing the exercise won't burn off the amount of calories that you will get through eating an apple but you will how ever burn off a lot of calories through muscle repair from DOMS, this burns a lot more calories and brings your metabolic rate right up, thus why weight training is also a good way of losing weight.

Also Natalie you need to consider what sort of times you are eating and foods, I have recently put my client on a 1200 calorie diet and she is telling me she is feeling stuffed a lot of the time but the calories are "to low" for her.

I hope this helps

Message me if you would like more advise

Tim Smith
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I beg to differ. Exercise burns calories and that's a definite plus. Exercise also boosts your metabolism. And maybe it's just me, but exercise makes me feel better and inspires me to eat fewer calories. Exercise plays a MAJOR part in losing weight.

not if you are eating in a calorie surplus…

your can't out train a bad diet..

if OP is overeating and training then she will gain weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    The amount of extra calories burned from muscle repair is smaller than you think.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    scoleman58 wrote: »

I agree with you atypicalsmith. If doing the right amount and "enough" of it but this alone is not the way yo lose weight. What I explained above is. the moderate exercise is a bonus. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn in a resting state. There also the "after-burn effect" too. It's not a huge amount but it's there. One key is keeping your heart in the "fat burn" zone and doing at least 30 mins or more. There are many calculators out there that can help find this zone. It will be based on BPM, heart rate.

you really think OP has put on any appreciable mass since January 1 eating 1400 calories a day and doing "classes"..???
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    [

The amount of exercise that is necessary to even burn the calories of one extra apple is unproportionally high. You physically can't exercise enough to make up for a diet that has too many calories.

I agree with you atypicalsmith. If doing the right amount and "enough" of it but this alone is not the way yo lose weight. What I explained above is. the moderate exercise is a bonus. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn in a resting state. There also the "after-burn effect" too. It's not a huge amount but it's there. One key is keeping your heart in the "fat burn" zone and doing at least 30 mins or more. There are many calculators out there that can help find this zone. It will be based on BPM, heart rate.

There is no fat burn zone. You're burning fat all the time, even when not exercising at all.

Of course if you're eating cheesecake for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and a 24 oz. steak with a loaded baked potato for dinner, exercise will NOT make up the difference. I'm not talking about how much you have to exercise for an apple. An apple is about 100 calories. Just living and breathing for an hour is about 60 calories. So if you only ate an apple every hour, you would burn 960 calories a day. That doesn't include sleeping and not eating apples. Sheesh!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    [

There is no fat burn zone. You're burning fat all the time, even when not exercising at all.

Of course if you're eating cheesecake for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and a 24 oz. steak with a loaded baked potato for dinner, exercise will NOT make up the difference. I'm not talking about how much you have to exercise for an apple. An apple is about 100 calories. Just living and breathing for an hour is about 60 calories. So if you only ate an apple every hour, you would burn 960 calories a day. That doesn't include sleeping and not eating apples. Sheesh!

where did you come up with the 960 calorie number from eating an apple every hour? and if your ate a 100 calorie apple every hour in a 24 hour day that would be 2400 calories a day …

and who eats cheesecake for breakfast, pizza for lunch, and steak and loaded baked potato in a day?? Why do people always create these straw man arguments..???
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Moderate exercise will not help much in losing weight, it will help you get in shape. Even if your weight does not change at all. Your diary seems in general ok, so maybe try for a while not eating back any of your exercise calories. Like for a week or two and see what happens.
    Moderate exercise still burns calories which is what weight loss is all about yes? Burn more calories than you eat? Eat fewer calories than you burn?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    [

What I'm saying is, if you just exercise and don't pay attention to your food (even good homemade meals can have too many calories, not just pizza and cheese cake), you likely won't lose weight unless you exercise for a lot of time daily and don't eat too much intuitively. A 500 calorie deficit just through exercise is not that easily achieved. If you just pay attention to what you eat and don't care about exercise, you will still lose weight. Which leads me to say that exercise is not going to make your weight loss successful if it wasn't going to be successful without it to begin with. So it's definitely not a major part in weight loss.
  • juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have had a quick look at your diary and I would say it is pretty refined carb heavy. I know for me cutting down on refined carbs and avoiding wheat helps with weight loss. maybe try to replace some of the bread, pasta and cake products with brown rice, rye bread and complex carbs.
    Also weigh everything, don't eyeball or guess. Try this for a month and then re-assess. Losing weight is mainly to do with being in a calorie deficit, exercise is a great way to get fit but if you want to shed pounds it's 80% nutrition I'm afraid...
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Moderate exercise will not help much in losing weight, it will help you get in shape. Even if your weight does not change at all. Your diary seems in general ok, so maybe try for a while not eating back any of your exercise calories. Like for a week or two and see what happens.
    Moderate exercise still burns calories which is what weight loss is all about yes? Burn more calories than you eat? Eat fewer calories than you burn?

I'd have to eat 2,550 to meet the requirement. Truly makes no sense.

OP- -(nataliea683)weigh your food(you aren't- - -> see your example of brown bread always the same entry) introduce fruit and vegetables in your diet(why? exactly), eat back a portion(up to 50%- - -> why? Your body needs fuel on days you workout) of exercise calories AFTER you figure out a more accurate way of logging the calories burned. In the end, make small changes over the next several weeks and review your progress. Weighing your food(as much as possible) is a good starting point. You can be frustrated or you can progress toward your goals the choice is always up to you. Be well.

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food for 1 week. Many of the entries repeat, so each of the possible errors below are magnified:
    • Tea - Tea (With Semi Skimmed Milk), 0.8 Mug: Did you create this entry? It sounds like tea with the milk already in it. Did you measure the milk? It's impossible to measure the tea and milk together, so I don't know how it's a .8 mug?
    • Phd - Diet Whey - Belgian Chocolate, 1 Scoops: How many grams? Did you weigh?
    • Chicken - Breast, meat only, cooked, roasted, 99 g(s): Did you weigh it before cooking it? Was it completely plain? No butter, no seasoning? No sauce?
    • Bakestone - Brown Bread - Medium Sliced, 2 slice: Did you check to make sure both slices were the correct # of grams?
    • Homemade - Raisin Scone, 1 Scone: Is this a recipe you added?
    • Aldi Carlos - Garlic Bread, 1/2 baguette: How many grams?
    • March 1 you only logged breakfast
    • Feb 28 you only logged lunch

I recommend tightening up your logging. You may find that you're eating more than you realize. If that's the case and you find yourself hungry, your diary is pretty low in fiber and vegetables. Both can help you fill up more.
  • scoleman58
    scoleman58 Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Maybe my information is incorrect but to burn mostly fat I do believe it's not.
    http://wserver.flc.losrios.edu/~willson/fitns304/handouts/heartRates.html
    If you referring to total calorie burn from a walking/run (not considering aerobic exercise) it is obvious, that the higher the heart rate the more calories you burn, just the ratio from where you burn them are different.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

If you referring to total calorie burn from a walking/run (not considering aerobic exercise) it is obvious, that the higher the heart rate the more calories you burn, just the ratio from where you burn them are different.

No fat burn zone ...debunked
  • scoleman58
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you really think OP has put on any appreciable mass since January 1 eating 1400 calories a day and doing "classes"..???

I sure don't nor do I see the relevance of this question. Could you explain more to help me understand? I ask cause you stated "your can't out train a bad diet.." Which I did not state in these words but I did explain the concept of how the body losses weight and how to apply it. Also that exercise is a bonus to weight loss and losing weight is most optimal from adjusting calorie intake in a healthy manner. Which I think from your statement is the same round about concept your are expressing. In the the post where I said "The more muscle you have the more calories you burn in a resting state" It was informational to reinforce my fist post on strength training. I was being brief assuming she would have read my first post and didn't just jump to my second one.
  • scoleman58
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

No fat burn zone ...debunked

I am always looking to improve my knowledge! Would you share this information, a hyper link is great, with reputable sources, thanks!