New mums

I have a 6 month old baby and just can't find the time to exercise. My little girl refuses to nap in the day. Any ideas?

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    I have a 4 month old baby and agree that it can be a challenge. I exercise at home after my baby has gone to sleep. I eat dinner between 6 and 7:30. I can get the baby to bed between 7 and 8. At 8, I exercise for an hour, then shower, pump, and am in bed by 10 PM.

There are nights when he fights sleep a little bit more, so I either shorten my workout or I skip it. But most of the time I can get in a workout.

Also, you don't have to workout when your baby is sleeping. While I was on maternity leave, I would just put my baby in his swing or on his playmat and hop on the treadmill.
  • Aed0416
    Aed0416 Posts: 101 Member
    Invest in a good jogging stroller and a bundle me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm quite lucky as my husband works shifts so I can fit my gym sessions/classes round that, but I also go for long walks with my baby (she's 10 months now) and I have used the gym crèche a couple of times.

She's crawling everywhere and climbing on everything now, so it would be harder to exercise at home, but when she was 6 months she'd happily go in the jumperoo for a while. Do you have a playpen? I used to have one when my eldest was a baby. He could go in there with some toys.

Here they run buggy fit classes (buggy is another word for stroller here) where you run with the buggy, or park the buggy up and do things like press ups, tricep dips, lunges etc. I did one once and it was really hard, like a PT session. The guy who runs it is an ex marine. I do his circuits classes and they're tough.
  • rhubarb_cakes
    rhubarb_cakes Posts: 14 Member
    Some brilliant ideas I hadn't thought of, thank you! I might try putting her in the play pen and seeing what happens. I have been tempted to get a cheap home exercise bike, maybe I should.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    I workout when my 5 month old has gone to sleep. I have a 30 minute workout that I use daily and it's been working.
  • rhubarb_cakes
    rhubarb_cakes Posts: 14 Member
    My little girls sleep isn't solid each night and doesn't follow the same pattern. Out of interest what 30 minute workout is it?