Are you drinking enough water?

Options
its no secret how beneficial drinking water is for weight loss and over all health, all my life my mom has told me to drink water but I didn't realize how much water i should be drinking,

To calculate the amount of water you should be drinking multiply your weight by 2/3 that is the amount of water in ounces you should be drinking. In just a week I went from having not really drinking any Water in a day to working my way up to 16 cups. I would've never been able to do that if I didn't know exactly how much I should be drinking.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    04sfaoye6b3o.jpg
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Water is good at keeping your water weight down, but I don't believe it really serves any real purpose for weight (fat) loss.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly dehydrated. I never feel thirsty so it's always been a problem of mine drinking enough water or any liquid for that matter. On a typical day, I'll only get through 1 1/2 bottles of water :(
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've had patients ask me about this and when I happen to see urine samples I have to do a double-take because that can't be real. That had to be taken from the tap. People are going way too crazy about this water. When do they have time to work? They must be on the toilet all the time.

Also treated a few people for hyponatremia, not pretty at all.

Half your weight in ounces is what most professionals recommend.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Following a simple formula won't tell you how much you should be drinking.
    Colour and frequency of urination will.

And of course nearly all fluids count towards hydration levels - says the Englishman having his first cup of tea of the day!

Drinking when thirsty works perfectly for me.
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Water is good at keeping your water weight down, but I don't believe it really serves any real purpose for weight (fat) loss.

I guess the benefit in that area would be drinking so much water would make you feel full, and won't need to consume as much food, and less calorie intake equals weight loss.
    I use coffee thought to keep me full, so I don't snack and overeat.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'll just leave this here...

newsatjama.jama.com/2014/01/09/coffee-hydrates-as-well-as-water-study-says/
  • Jesslane93
    Jesslane93 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    JiveDoc wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here...

newsatjama.jama.com/2014/01/09/coffee-hydrates-as-well-as-water-study-says/

Still drink water when I'm thirsty. I just use coffee to keep me full (Usually 2 cups a day) like as a snack, instead of solid higher calorie food. According to that pee chart up there I'm hydrated enough lol
  • iwearthejumper32
    iwearthejumper32 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    04sfaoye6b3o.jpg

Of course this chart is helpful if your vitamins dont turn your urine neon yellow no matter how much water you drink. In which case calculations can be useful. I aim for 2 liters a day... then I take a day off when im tired of trips to the bathroom at 20 minute intervals. Half my weight in ounces? No time for dat, sorry kidneys
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty.

That's what homeostasis is all about.