Running Shoes

Options
Im a new runner and keep hearing that the most important thing is to have a good pair of running shoes. So Im just wondering what kind, brand, style has worked for others.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Nicky

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Best thing to do is go get fitted for the right running shoes unique to you. I wear Asics which are great running shoes. But there is so much more to a running shoe than just what brand it is.
  • starrlite77
    Options
    I went to a shoe store that specialized in running shoes. They had me walk and run on a treadmill and they also had me stand on this thing to check my arches. And they based my shoe on how my foot landed when walking, running, and standing.....try and look for a store like that in your area.
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have big square feet...persoanlly I like Sacouny BUT!!!!
    You should REALLY go to a place that specializes in running to get properly fitteed for shoes before you get really into running (you're gonna LOVE it!!)
    The correct type of shoe for you foot, the surface you chose to run on AND for your foot placement on the surface (they should put you on a treadmill to see how your feet move...if you pronate or are neutral....ect...) Price point is also a factor, the best shoe for you isnt always the most expensive!! Good luck!!
  • gmartin41
    gmartin41 Posts: 1
    Options
    thanks for the tip:smile:
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Find a store that will do an analysis on your gait to see what kind of shoe will work for you. It will make a difference what brand they recommend. I have Mizunos and love them. Be prepared to spend some money, but it will be worth it.
  • rhondaredhead
    rhondaredhead Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have wide feet and my Saucony work well for me, but I would suggest going to a running store if there's one near you and getting fitted. Someone that knows what they're doing will probably bring out several pairs of shoes, ask you to try them on, and then ask you to watch back and forth and watch your instep/that sort of thing. They can also show you a special way to tie your shoes if you have problems with them slipping on your heels.

Have fun running! I love it, and my shoes have made a big difference. I was having lower back pain before paying for good shoes ($100ish).
  • clhiter
    clhiter Posts: 74
    Options
    I agree with Angela--do not worry about brand--get a correct fit. The good running stores--not the places in the mall--will help you get started. They will measure you look at you walking/running etc. Once you have a good pair and you use them then the places in t he mall will work to replace your shoes.

Brooks, Mizuno, Asics, Nike, Rebook, NB are all great ones that I have run in for the last 20 years...I have shifted brands and styles due to what I was focusing on at that time--Triathlons, road racing, trails, etc.

You also don't need to spend extremely high dollars--like over 90 dollars on a good pair of shoes.

Good luck and keep at it.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    When my wife got back into running, she went to a good running store in town and got fitted for the best shoe. Was worth the extra money. Now, she simply orders that shoe off line every time she needs a new pair. Has worked well.
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Depends on what type of running you're going to be doing, I guess. I bought myself pair of Skechers Resistance Runners due to the shock absorbancy since I run mostly on pavement. I find them amazing for that type of running. :)
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Hi, I strongly recommend going to a store that specializes in running shoes, if there is one in your area. Shoes will be different for people depending on their foot shape, running style, gait, pronation, etc. You may end up spending a few dollars more than ordering shoes online or buying from a regular retailer, but in the end, your feet--and the rest of your body--will love you for it. I happen to wear Brooks Adrenaline, and a female runner I know wears a similar shoe, but that brand/model may not be the one for you. The other advice I have is to pay for an insert and not use the ones that come with the shoe no matter what you settle on--I have found that even the best of shoes, the inserts that come with them are cheap and really not good for your feet. I do recommend the Superfeet brand of insert. Good luck and keep running!