IIFYM - Sugar?

Options
zzaped
zzaped Posts: 17 Member
Hitting Macros perfectly including fibre, and sticking to designated calories. Winning

But sugar is -40 some days!!

Biochemically speaking: insulin spikes, leptin resistance and all things considered..

Is this going to affect my progress metabolically or otherwise?

Replies

• jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    Sugar = carbs. It can. It all depends. How many grams of carbs are you supposed to eat a day?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are hitting your protein/fat/carb minimums and eating in a deficit then no it will not affect anything…< i assume your goal is fat loss…yes?

40 grams of sugar is nothing..i average between 60 and 100 a day ...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Are you referring to the "sugar" section listed near your micronutrients? If so, i would ignore it. As stated above, you should have selected an appropriate "protein, carbs, fats" goal.

The goal is set to "25g" as it's meant to be the recommended daily allowance for added sugars. You'll notice that this is actually logged on many foods where no sugar is added (example: fruit).

Regardless, If you're meeting your caloric needs you will be losing weight. If you have a metabolic issue or blood-sugar problem you may want to consult with your physician.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    If your goal is 25g you either set that manually or haven't rerun goals for a year, 45g is the minimum standard value at 15% of calories and 1200 minimum cals. This target is total sugars.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    If you truly follow iifym, ignore the sugar. It will not affect your weight loss progress as long as you're in a deficit.

I've seen lifters down a baggie of gummy bears and sour patch kids pre and intra workout in the name of iifym(yes people do this, look it up).

If it makes you feel better than limit the majority of your sugar around training time but it shouldn't matter.
  • zzaped
    zzaped Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I found this article that echoes all of your responses if you'd like a read:
    http://bretcontreras.com/sugar-the-sweet-truth/