gu?

Options
Ok im training for my first half marathon. Im at the point where I need to use a gel/chomp. At the marathon they will have gu brand and I want to make sure i do ok with these just in case. But how much do I use? Theres 8 chomps in a pkg and I got the energy gel. The experienced runner im doing this with is on a cruise (im not jealous while im running 8 miles on a treadmill because theres 6 ft of snow outside) and im not sure. THANKS

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    This is one of those things that you need to practice with on your long runs. Everyone has different preference on what to eat - and some people don't eat anything for a half distance. I am a fan of Gu. I tried jellybeans once and didn't care for them.

I am fat and slow, so 13.1 miles takes a lot of time. I tend to have a Gu on my runs that are longer than 8 miles. Dora half, I have 2. I take half a pack at a time, at miles 4, 6, 8 and 10. Always take Gu with water.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In half marathons, I've usually only needed 1-2 gels. Usually around mile 7-8 and one around mile 11 or so. I would recommend trying out different flavors and brands to figure out which works best for you, and try it out in training -- both the gels and the timing -- to see what works for you. Personally, I've only ever taken the gels offered by the race when it's the same brand that I eat on training runs, so don't feel as if Gu has to work for you.

Edit: distance/timing of consuming gels will vary depending on how fast you run. A good rule of thumb is a gel after ~45 minutes, and every 30-45 after that. In my last few I've bent that rule, only because I'm marathon training primarily now and don't take any gels with me until I'm running 2+ hours.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It is entirely dependent on how long you will be out there. For a half marathon I will carry two, but usually only use one somewhere around the half-way mark. The second is there "just in case".

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Edit: distance/timing of consuming gels will vary depending on how fast you run. A good rule of thumb is a gel after ~45 minutes, and every 30-45 after that. In my last few I've bent that rule, only because I'm marathon training primarily now and don't take any gels with me until I'm running 2+ hours.

Actually I should have just quoted this post and said "This"
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say definitely definitely practice with them beforehand. I get really sick with the blocks and a lot of the gels, but Huma gel and the Gu salted caramel, I can handle. I over prepare and bring four of those things with me...
    My running buddy for my half last fall ate some kind of bar she'd never had before (came in our race packet) right before the race started, mile six, she was in all kinds of trouble and ended up walking the second half of the race.
  • WebFootFreak
    WebFootFreak Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    +1 on training with nutrition. Nothing sucks more than cramps (and worse) in the middle of a race.
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yes...I definitely want to train with them first

So its kind of what works for me thing...theres no set rule. Im hoping this half doesn't take me more than 2.5 hrs but ill be happy just to finish!

Thanks everyone
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to do Gu or gels... I usually don't need anything for a half, but for anything longer I like Tailwind Endurance Fuel mixed in my water bottle. But definitely practice with stuff during training runs and never on race day. I violated that fundamental rule last fall and ended up with my first DNF at mile 38 of a 50 mile race. It is gut-wrenching (in every sense of the word) to see months of training go down the toilet because of consuming an untested product during a race. (That was not the only reason for the DNF, but 22 miles of nausea put me in a difficult mental state).
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. Here's a gel comparison
    irunfar.com/2008/12/energy-gel-comparison.html

I can't handle the thickness of Gu or Clif gels, but I do fine with the thinner Hammer and Powergels. I also can't do anything but citrus flavors. For me, 'double chocolate latte' might sound great before a race, but at mile 18? Barf.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Practice, as others have said.

Don't like GUs or gels, but I love chews... Huge fan of Honey Stinger chews: http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-energy-chews.html. Organic, not sticky (which means easy to chew with or without water), easy on my stomach, and they taste really, really good. Sometimes I catch my boyfriend eating them as a snack, LOL. You can't say that for a GU!

I also agree with ThickMcRunFast that generally, more "natural" flavors sit better. I tried a salted margarita-flavored gel a couple weeks ago and while that sounds delicious post-run, it wasn't the best during.

I also typically follow the timing that others have recommended. Sometimes a chew every 30-45 minutes or so simply because it's "something to do."
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Try the chews called "honey bee" I think. Something like that. They taste WAY better then gu, are all natural and work great! I can tell the moment it hits me. I space them out on my long runs. Eat 1-2 when I need a burst of energy.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »

Don't like GUs or gels, but I love chews... Huge fan of Honey Stinger chews: http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-energy-chews.html. Organic, not sticky (which means easy to chew with or without water), easy on my stomach, and they taste really, really good. Sometimes I catch my boyfriend eating them as a snack, LOL. You can't say that for a GU!

I also agree with ThickMcRunFast that generally, more "natural" flavors sit better. I tried a salted margarita-flavored gel a couple weeks ago and while that sounds delicious post-run, it wasn't the best during.

I also typically follow the timing that others have recommended. Sometimes a chew every 30-45 minutes or so simply because it's "something to do."

I do this too.

I do like Gu, even some of the sweeter flavours. I like the ones with caffeine. I'm not sure you can get that in a chew.

If I don't want/need caffeince, I also really like the Gu chomps. My friend can't eat them at all while running, she uses the Cliff Shot Blox. I found they were really hard to chew and stuck to my teeth.
    A few others have mentioned the Honey Stingers, I also like those.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

I do this too.

I do like Gu, even some of the sweeter flavours. I like the ones with caffeine. I'm not sure you can get that in a chew.

You can! Honey Stinger makes a few chews with caffeine now... I've been using the caffeinated cherry cola: http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-energy-chews/caffeinated-cherry-cola.html (Pretty tasty, but they have a caffeinated citrus one too that I haven't tried yet.)
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    sport jelly beans they do the same thing and test much better!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I do this too.

You can! Honey Stinger makes a few chews with caffeine now... I've been using the caffeinated cherry cola: http://www.honeystinger.com/organic-energy-chews/caffeinated-cherry-cola.html (Pretty tasty, but they have a caffeinated citrus one too that I haven't tried yet.)

Thanks. I'll check them out.
  • jlewisrn74
    jlewisrn74 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Honey stingers! That's what I meant! Not honey bee. They are really good and give a lot of energy for my run
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve never needed gu on a half-marathon or less. But if you feel you’re bonking, then I guess you should try something. Just test the waters on things and find what works. Then, make sure you do only that for the run (switching up the routine during a run is never a good idea).
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    On my long run 'test' I tried the chimps and honestly. .I didn't feel a difference. Around 45-50min (im at a 10min mile) I just start feeling like im dragging. ..soo ill try something different for my next long run..maybe those honey ones. Thanks everyone
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Definitely try stuff out during training. Different products will work with you differently. Some people can't handle anything, etc.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I always brought two Clif Shot Blocks (chew) with me on my long runs when I was training for my half. There was only one time where I felt like I was majorly bonking and it was at mile 7 of a 12 mile run. I ate one block (I had to walk to eat it, bad coordination maybe? haha) and drink some water after but I did feel better after a little while. I ate one at mile 7 of my race as well and also felt a little better. Like everyone else said, try different kinds during training, and be prepared to end your run if something doesn't agree. I have a really sensitive stomach so I was nervous but it turned out fine.