Middle aged guy trying

So I am 45 and lost 90 lbs last year and have gained 40 back in just 6 months. I have tried this app and hope nice weather will get me motivated to move more. Do others have this problem? I know I am doing the wrong thing and should be exercising but make great excuses.

Replies

• jallen8484
    jallen8484 Posts: 6 Member
    Ah excuses...how I love thee. Truthfully, if I spent as much time working out as I did making excuses I wouldn't be here.

Look at it this way. You lost 90 lbs.! That is huge and congrats for doing it. Even better, you already know you can do it.

I use BeFit in 90. It is free on YouTube and it lays out your workout everyday. Most are about 30 minutes. I would like to say I picked this because it looked challenging, but really in the beginning you get every 3rd say off.

Oh and BONUS the trainer guy tells you to take the day off. No better excuse than that.
  • reinhart_doug
    reinhart_doug Posts: 7 Member
    Thanks for the understanding and the tip jallen. I will definitely look into that. Maybe I can get some of this weight back off over the next few months.
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    I'm 46 and was cleaning up my weight records over the past three years. Here's what I learned.
    - I had basically been moving a few quarts of water, a little bit of muscle and a little bit of fat in and out for the past few years..
    - I rallied last fall ('13) and lost about 10 pounds, although my body fat percentage seems to have only dropped about 1.5-2%
    - I gained that 10 pounds back in 6 weeks, plus added another 5 for good measure.

So, here's what I'm doing different
    - Actively tracking both lean body mass and body fat.
    - Used the above, plus the Harris-Benedict equation to figure out how much I'm supposed to be eating.
    - Exercise diligently
    - Log my food diligently
    - Focus on my process for now because real gains are too far in the future to provide motivation
    - Don't make any judgements about myself.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Well, I lost 92 pounds and gained back about 10. I had some illness/injury issues in the fall and I have ongoing medical challenges. I usually exercise quite a bit to make up for low BMR due to 5 different metabolic diseases.

Mostly, I have maintained for three years. I am 39.

You don't exercise AT ALL?
  • reinhart_doug
    Yes I do some exercising but it is getting motivated to do it steady. I am working to find a good plan and grilling my meals.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    On the good side you know how to lose weight, no idea if you did it in a healthy sustainable way. My first port of call would be to examine why it went wrong, learn from it and then make changes so this time is different. One of the things you will need is a maintenance plan to move onto once you reach target. I cant think of anything duller than yo yo dieting.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    You don't need a"plan.". You lost ó0 lbs, so you clearly know what you need to do. You just need to do it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    You don't need a"plan.". You lost ó0 lbs, so you clearly know what you need to do. You just need to do it.

Completely disagree. You can always improve. The point is he didnt do it all ad hoc and it clearly didnt work for him because he went and put 40 back on. Pretty ridiculous that you dont think applying some thought to what you need to do before doing it isnt important. Bonkers.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    it is called re-focus ... forget the excuses, focus on why you want to do it
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Yes I do some exercising but it is getting motivated to do it steady. I am working to find a good plan and grilling my meals.

I've been following the advice in this book: amazon.com/Bigger-Leaner-Stronger-Building-Ultimate/dp/1938895274/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1425738802&sr=8-1

I've read at least a dozen similar books but none have come close in delivering pretty much the whole package in terms of motivation/inspiration, a results-oriented workout plan, and nutritional advice, all based on scientific research. Note that the book linked is the second edition with additional material. It's also available on Kindle, but the new Kindle version hasn't been released yet. As soon as it is, hopefully any day now, I'll be rereading it.

A lot of what's in the book can be found on the author's web page for free, but I'd still recommend the book because it ties it all together: muscleforlife.com/
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    I use a fitness tracker to make sure I get enough movement in during a day. Most of it is simply walking briskly. I'm still working on overcoming my gymphobia, but I know I need to add resistance training. Tracking my calories is the other side of my plan. Two years ago I dropped 20 pounds but gained it back with interest in about 6 months. Definitely sticking to the plan now. I'm 57 and got a pre-diabetic warning at my last physical, so now it's real. After 3 months I'm down 25 pounds with 5 to go.
  • Kevvboy
    Kevvboy Posts: 81 Member
    Start an exercise plan. Do it every single day. Focusing on just this at first will allow you to line up your eating and everything else and get back to the groove you were on before. Be kind to yourself but stop the rewards with food - reward yourself with more exercise and find kinds of movement you enjoy, that's key to continuing. Good luck. and yes - FOCUS on why you want to be thinner.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member

Completely disagree. You can always improve. The point is he didnt do it all ad hoc and it clearly didnt work for him because he went and put 40 back on. Pretty ridiculous that you dont think applying some thought to what you need to do before doing it isnt important. Bonkers.

Okay so what needs to happen is to recognize WHY he gained back 40 pounds. OP - you lost the weight then gained it back. WHY did that happen?

If you recognize why it occurred you can take the steps to remedy that.

• reinhart_doug
    Thanks so much for all this great support and advice. I am really enjoying the fitness tracking and have really seen a result in watching what I eat. This week begins a time set aside for exercise and a new start.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Welcome back- you know what you need to do, so go get it!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member

Exercise doesn't have to be any one particular thing, and you don't have to do the same stuff every day. I mostly swim and dance because these things make me happy. I lift weights so that I can look better while I swim and dance. I hike in beautiful places and work in my garden because those things are fun.

Think about what you like to do that is active and go from there.
  • mountain01
    mountain01 Posts: 65 Member
    I was the same. I would lose weight, gain it back, lose it again. I used my privous job as an excuse, was an EMT in 24 hour duty status. I used stress as an excuse and many other things and it ballooned me up to 297. It wasn't until I set my mind towards a goal I wanted, and I truly wanted it, that I became focused. Try finding a goal, something you want, and develop your mind set around it. Good luck!