What's for breakfast?

Options
Hey, I need more ideas for breakfast besides milk and a banana or some other piece of fruit. Maybe something I can make the night before that I can grab and go?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    My husband found a recipe for a baked egg and cheese casserole and then modified it a little bit (added a hash browns crust and changed it from 8 servings to 12) - it's surprisingly light on calories especially when you consider that it has a POUND of cheese in it (as well as a full pound of cottage cheese!!), remarkably filling (one 140g serving, which is less than 300 calories, easily keeps me satisfied for 4+ hours, which is unusual for me), super easy to make, stores well in the fridge or freezer, reheats beautifully AND is also good cold. In fact we need to make another one ASAP, since we ate the last of it yesterday (tears). Recipe is as follows

This is the original recipe

- 12 eggs, beaten
    - 448g (1 pound) grated pepper-jack cheese
    - 448g (1 pound) cottage cheese (*we used 2% but you can use whatever fat % you want)
    - 60g (1/2 cup) all purpose flour
    - 1 tsp salt
    - Pepper, to taste, optional
    - 2 cups refrigerated shredded hash browns (we used Simply Potatoes brand, 2 cups of that equaled 312g)
    - cooking spray (instead of the 1 Tbsp of butter called for in the original recipe)

Preheat oven to 350F/175C and coat a 9x13" baking dish with cooking spray (or use 1 Tbsp of butter to grease the pan, just be sure to count it in your calorie total)

Line the prepared pan with the shredded hash browns, pressing them down into a compact, flat layer. Bake about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, beat the snot out of the eggs (hubby used an immersion blender to get a really smooth consistency). Whisk in the flour until smooth.

Add the cheeses, salt, and pepper if desired, mix until well combined.

Pour the egg/cheese mixture over the hash browns, return to the oven and bake for about 1 hour (until the eggs are set).
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I make a 6 egg frittata every weekend and eat it through the week. It's good hot or room temperature. I usually make it with spinach peppers and feta, but you can pretty much clean out the fridge. A 1/4 wedge is plenty for breakfast and is around 200 calories.
  • bonnieneedshelp1
    Options
    I like to eat a bowl of Special K with protein with fresh blueberries or strawberries on top. I purchase Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk. It has half the calories and it taste very good. It's my go to breakfast. The fruit on top is a good for you fruit and does not add calories like bananas. I do love bananas, but they are high on calories.
  • bonnieneedshelp1
    Options
    Another option is hard boiled eggs (2) and 12 grain bread...yummy and very satisfying. Also high in protein so it helps you feel fuller longer.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    aceyo6oyijjx.jpg
    xbybil81ga9z.jpg

Bell pepper stuffed with ricotta, sun dried tomato and eggs. 354 calories (using 3 whole eggs part skim ricotta)
  • jporter1183
    jporter1183 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Today I had two eggs, a piece of whole wheat toast, a thin slice of cheddar with two slices of turkey bacon and hot sauce :) delicious!
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1 scoop cookies & cream protein shake & 1.25 cup of liquid egg whites.
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    All of it sounds delish! I made all kinds of notes. Thanks!
  • nichernan
    nichernan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    usually a slice or two of sara lee delightful 45 calorie bread, toasted, with half a tbs of light margarine and a green smoothie. or a green smoothie, hard boiled egg, and a single slice of toast. I generally also consume 1-2 cups of green or earl grey tea.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I switch between one egg and 2 pieces of toast, frosted flakes with silk almond milk,bagel thins with cream cheese and an apple.
  • SlinkySpencer
    SlinkySpencer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    A few times last week, I had tuna salad on a bed of spinach leaves and a few triskets. Myfamily thought that was strange, but it keeps me full and satisfied for a long time. Not suggesting tuna for breakfast, but just suggesting you keep your mind open--eat whatever keeps you fueled properly. ;) ((And, other days I ate oatmeal or scrambled eggs with veggies, like a normal human.))
  • taraskylit
    taraskylit Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Proats topped with peanut butter, chocolate chips & banana. w/coffee.
    ~400 calories.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Soft boiled egg with sweet potato hash akul15mucedt.jpg
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of breakfast, but since it's important, I fill up on green smoothies and green tea.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I keep little bins of home-made hummus and pre-cut raw veggies in the fridge for myself and my child to snack on any time. Often, I find myself getting into them for breakfast, as I don't have to do anything but open the container.

When I have time to cook ahead, I do like fritatas with ALL THE VEGGIES. Omnomnom.
  • melhughes903
    melhughes903 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Egg white omelette(s). I make 4 on Sunday to take to enjoy for breakfast at work. Easy peasy
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    It's one of two things at work since I don't eat breakfast at home.

Either it's 2 egg whites with Parmesan cheese and black pepper

Or

1 serving of Fage Total 0% greek yogurt mixed with 1 scoop of EAS chocolate protein power.

The first is if I need a lower calorie start to the day and the second is if I want to start the day with a higher protein meail
  • DosEquisToGo
    Options
    I am not a typical "breakfast" food eater either. I like idea of tuna on spinach! I'm going to try the poached egg on sweet potato hash also! THANKS!
  • ebony74hayes
    Options
    Morningstar veggie sausage
  • LosingitinLondon
    LosingitinLondon Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I quite often make a low-cal /carb galette the night before (one egg, 2tbsps oat bran, one tbsp quark, beaten and fried) and eat that with a boiled egg or some cottage cheese.
    Other options include slices of smoked salmon wrapped round cottage cheese; porridge made with light soy milk; Smoked mackerel.
    These are all things I can take to work. At the weekends I usually have scrambled eggs or omelette with tomatoes and spinach