Too Much Protein?

Options
I almost always go over my daily protein allowance. I never go over fats, carbs, sugars, but sometimes (not too often) go over sodium. Is this bad? I try to keep the protein within my allowance but since I am never over total calories, in fact always way under I am thinking this is okay. Any nutritionist out there that can help? Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You're fine. You can go over any macronutrient as long as you don't put yourself in a surplus.

Unless you have a heart condition, don't worry about sodium. The only thing sodium will do it make you retain water which cause weight fluctuation. This is why you may see you "gained" half a pound or so overnight. Nothing to worry about. Potassium, water, and exercise regulates this.
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Too much fat is bad. Too much carbs is bad. Too much protein is great because it means you have the fat and carbs at good levels. As long as you get some fruits and veggies with you protein, you're good.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pcrucifer wrote: »
    Too much fat is bad. Too much carbs is bad. Too much protein is great because it means you have the fat and carbs at good levels. As long as you get some fruits and veggies with you protein, you're good.

Too much carbs or fat is only bad if it puts you over on your calories (which can also be said about protein).

OP, you're good. I try to hit or exceed my protein goal every day.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    As long as your kidneys are working properly, going over protein level is fine.Too much sodium may cause some possible water retention but if you do not have a heart condition or high blood pressure you should be okay.
  • robbypink
    robbypink Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes I get plenty of fruits and veggies, pretty much mainstay of what I eat in additon to the protein. I stay away from rice, pasta, bread potatoes; except for every once in a while some pasta which I can't give up alltogether! Good to Go! Thanks everyone!
  • FitRican
    FitRican Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also make sure you drink enough water (1 gallon a day) to help your kidneys, In my mind I can't never seem to have enough proteins as long as I stay under 2000-2400 calories a day.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    The protein recommendation on MFP is super low. I generally aim for around 160 grams a day.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Unless you have kidney issues, don't worry about too much protein. Too much sodium may make you retain water weight. Unless you have medical conditions (such as high blood pressure), too much sodium is not that bad. You may see a stall or increase on the scale though.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Oh thank you for posting this because I've been having the same issue. Thanks everyone for letting us know we're okay.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yeah, don't worry about going over on protein. With the low 20% of allocated calories MFP has by default for protein, even when I set my loss to half a pound a week, the protein wasn't enough to fill me. So I dropped my calories back down and raised my protein goal to 45%.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Think of it as a minimum.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have custom set my goals so I aim for 30-35% protein which works out to around 100g per day. If you listen to a lot of advice on MFP you will be told to increase your protein to around this level or more depending on your weight to avoid losing muscle while losing weight. I struggle to eat this much protein but normally aim for a minimum of 90g if I can.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a pre-existing kidney issue, it doesn't matter. As everyone else has said if you are in a deficit you're fine. Protein is the most important of all of the macro nutrients, but that being said anything over about 1g per lb of lean mass and it's probably not doing much extra for you.

If you enjoy your protein and are going over because you are naturally eating the foods high in protein, then carry on. If you are supplementing with protein shakes and going over then you may wish to evaluate - but only from a cost point of view, protein supplements can be expensive and sometimes unnecessary if you are getting protein from your normal food.