Applebees!!!

Options
jdavis193
jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
So we are going there tom night for dinner. I have looked through all of the foods listed on here for them. Evertyhing is full of sodium... Who all eats there adn what do you get?

Replies

• kittybitz79
    kittybitz79 Posts: 213
    Options
    I usually get the weight watchers foods from there but they are still bad on sodium
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I ate there this weekend and had one of their under 550 cal meals. It was great! Yes high in sodium, but great tasting, good size and filling. Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos ... it turned out to be 450 cal
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    My bestfriend was a restaurant manager at Applebees...Since I heard the stories, I stay away from everything...Even their steak is microwaves more than grilled >.< I know this isnt helpful, but maybe, if there is a chance, you might want to find a new restaurant. However, everything everywhere is loaded with sodium, its the restaurant curse.
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    So we are going there tom night for dinner. I have looked through all of the foods listed on here for them. Everything is full of sodium... Who all eats there adn what do you get?

yea applebees is the WORST for sodium... I know a former manager from there so take my word on this DO NOT absolutely DO NOT get a salad with vinaigrette dressing on it.. So bad for you and just plain NASTY! Yea the salt is terrible there for sure.. The appetizer sampler she said has 2600 calories not counting the ranch. YIKES!!
  • waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love that place (minus the sodium). I always get the pineapple glazed shrimp with spinach . It is 330 calories. Ask for the sauce on the side and it will be even less!!!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    I'd just get a small sirloin steak with a baked potato and veggies, it's my go-to at any restaurant.
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My go to at Applebee's is the Grilled Dijon Chicken & Portobellos (served with steamed veggies and potatoes). The sodium is a little high, but it's still a decent choice. Make a point to drink several glasses of water with dinner to help counter act it. It's quite yummy actually!
  • wannabefit4life
    Options
    This is one of the main reasons I don't really care to go there. Their healthy choices are limited for the type of foods I like. :(
  • redtrain
    redtrain Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    hey I always go with the Asiago Peppercorn Steak. 390 calories Sometimes they have fresh green beans that they can grill about 70 calories. and an unsweet tea with splenda.
  • Therapist_mama
    Therapist_mama Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like the Shrimp with Island Rice! Om nom nom nom! 370 calories.....I haven't paid alot of attention to the sodium:blushing: However it has not hindered me in my goals either. But i know some folks need to watch it for hypertension.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I stay away from Applebees... always seems like food that is NOT really food... but I do know they have some meals that they claim are low in calories. or you could get a salad with grilled chicken and dressing on the side..?
  • jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Yea if there was even a CHANCE of me breaking my diet and having a cheat day there is a million better restaurants then Applebees I would be going to. Like carrabas for some Italian. Go big or go home.. =0)
  • JenInAustin
    JenInAustin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Sounds like this is not your restaurant choice?

I agree with some of the statements above. My experience is that it's the national chain restaurants that are the worst with the sodium and additional "hidden" addititives such as squirting oil &water mixtures into your chicken breast -- which you would otherwise THINK was healthy!
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    They are always willing to hold things and sub one for another. Start disecting.....
  • mytime60
    mytime60 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have the book Eat This Not That, and it recommends the 9oz Sirloin and Seasonal Veggies. I checked the charts and the calories on the 9 oz are 310 with 970 mg of sodium. I suggest dropping down to the 7 oz which is still plenty of protein the calories are 250 and the sodium is 860 mg. The seasonal veggies list as 35-50 calories and 260-340 mg of sodium. If you ask them not to add salt while cooking your veggies you could save some more. Still what I would consider high for a meal; but probably the best choice on the menu. Enjoy your night out!
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous poster about the spicy pineapple shrimp with spinach...I haven't noticed my sodium being over when I eat there...I try to keep a pretty close eye on it...I was pretty impressed with the amoun of food for less than 400 calories on that dish - I guess you can eat a lot when it is shrimp and spinach! Yum!
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    they have a steak and shrimp dish on their under 550 calorie menu, it's pretty good. I forego the potatoes for an extra serving of broccoli. I ask them to just grill the steak with no oil and butter. The same for the shrimp. Get all the sauces on the side so you can regulate it. It's pretty good and should cut down the sodium. I usually get a side salad just the veggies no bacon bits, croutons, or cheese, with one of their light dressings on the side. What gives it tons of sodium is usually the sauces and spices. Tell them little to no seasoning on the steak. You can add salt and pepper to your taste. My favorite healthy eating go to restaurant is Outback. Great website for nutritional info. I eat out a minimum of 3 times a week and have managed to maintain consistent weight loss. Make sure you drink a lot of water that day.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    Thanks all!! I am not thrilled about Applebees.. We live in a small town and we got a gift certificate there. I don't really think there food is that good. Normally I get a salad with a plain baked potato. There 7oz sirloin with a plain baked potato. I do get the weight watchers herb garlic chicken. Our applebees is doing away with alot of the weight watchers stuff. I don't care to go there but it's free I guess...
  • jdavis193
    Options
    they have a steak and shrimp dish on their under 550 calorie menu, it's pretty good. I forego the potatoes for an extra serving of broccoli. I ask them to just grill the steak with no oil and butter. The same for the shrimp. Get all the sauces on the side so you can regulate it. It's pretty good and should cut down the sodium. I usually get a side salad just the veggies no bacon bits, croutons, or cheese, with one of their light dressings on the side. What gives it tons of sodium is usually the sauces and spices. Tell them little to no seasoning on the steak. You can add salt and pepper to your taste. My favorite healthy eating go to restaurant is Outback. Great website for nutritional info. I eat out a minimum of 3 times a week and have managed to maintain consistent weight loss. Make sure you drink a lot of water that day.

I love outback!!! They are an hour away from us. When we go it's usually outback... They do help with making it a better food solution for you.