Count only net carbs?

Options
I'm somewhat of a newbie to IIFYM and I'm seeing a lot recently when I search for things like protein powders and such to add in my meal diary, everyone only includes the NET carbs rather than the full amount of carbs. Should I go along with this? Or should I log it myself and include ALL the carbs.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that's a complex question. If the users of the database are doing something you don't like then create your own entries. I doubt "everyone" uses net carbs and that in itself is a US thing when you have other nationalities on here using different labelling rules - me included.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Net carbs are basically carbs - fiber = net carbs. I try and stay under 60 net carbs per day. I log full carbs and at the end of the day subtract the fiber to hit my goal. I'm not a student of IIFYM so I'm not sure what they recommend.
    -
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I track the full amount of carbs, as that is how most foods are labeled. I can't think a single food label that I have read that gave NET carbs.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I track the full amount of carbs, as that is how most foods are labeled. I can't think a single food label that I have read that gave NET carbs.

If you live in the US yes, this is true. If you live in australia or england, then the carbs listed are already net carbs.
  • katejmitch
    Options
    quest protein bars are what I'm finding the most with.