what do protein powder and shakes do?

Options
What is the deal with protein shakes and or protein powders . I don't really understand them. Are they intended to fill you up so you don't need to eat as much. I'm not physically active and I have heardvthar there mostly good when you work out to help you work out harder

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    For me, they help fill the gap between my protein goals and my protein from natural sources.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I use a protein shake that can also be used as a meal replacement for two reasons:
    A ) It really helps me hit my protein goals and they are filling.
    B ) It tastes awesome how I make it (chocolate powder/banana/almond milk) and it is like having a dessert.

I work out - I run and do very demanding boxing classes, but I don't use the protein shakes because I do these things. I would drink them regardless because I like them. There will be people who will tell you that you don't need them (and you don't), but if you do like them and they work to keep you in your deficit and help you meet nutritional goals, then use them :)
  • gilramirez14
    gilramirez14 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    BioQueen wrote: »
    I use a protein shake that can also be used as a meal replacement for two reasons:
    A ) It really helps me hit my protein goals and they are filling.
    B ) It tastes awesome how I make it (chocolate powder/banana/almond milk) and it is like having a dessert.

I work out - I run and do very demanding boxing classes, but I don't use the protein shakes because I do these things. I would drink them regardless because I like them. There will be people who will tell you that you don't need them (and you don't), but if you do like them and they work to keep you in your deficit and help you meet nutritional goals, then use them :)

Oh OK thanks I know they sometimes are less calories so I've thought about replacing one for breakfast just to have less calories in in my day thanks for the info
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    They provide a quick source of protein.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    They are just to hit your protein goals. You can hit your protein goals with just diet alone, but if you are having trouble then it's a good way to hit it.
  • Danni_peck
    Options
    They're a really good source of protein. I drink them after I work out, and I've seen more muscle definition because of it. I also use them as a meal replacement, and it keeps me full until dinner.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For me, they help fill the gap between my protein goals and my protein from natural sources.

I'm just going to go around the forum quoting you today because you're saying what I want to say.

This for me as well.

Also? Sometimes, I just want something light instead of a full meal. A protein smoothie with frozen fruit hits the spot.

• getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    All of the above. They provide a quick source of protein, and help make up the difference if you are lacking in protein from other sources. This is probably most important for people that are stressing their muscles due to exercise or very active recreation for muscle recovery. They can also be used as a meal replacement. I personally prefer to eat my meals, but to each their own. As for a protein shake being lower calorie than a meal, it depends on the meal being replaced and what you use in the protein shake.
  • eileensofianmushinfine
    Options
    it allows me to more easily hit my protein goals. it makes my mornings easy and stress free trying to figure out what to eat and it holds me over to lunch. i make mine with 8 oz of milk, 2 scoops of chocolate and ice and blast it in my blender. It truly tastes just like a milk shake!!!!
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use them for muscle recovery after workouts.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    They are great if you are in a deficit, because you want to maintain as much lean body mass as possible while losing.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm with most of the rest of the responses. I have one for breakfast almost every morning (I use one with espresso in it). It gets me out the door fast and keeps me full until lunch. Plus, it gives me more calories for the rest of my day!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just wish the dickens there was a decent tasting powder that did not use milk. I've given up. Soy, pea, yuk
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies/shakes in the morning because I'm not a big breakfast eater, and then I have a protein bar mid-day. As a teaching assistant I'm on my feet and on the move all day, and that bar keeps me from coming home and eating faces (or the whole fridge).

My smoothie is usually a banana, 1.5 cups Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup 2% milk, and 1 scoop of Designer Whey.

Protein bar of choice is Quest Double Chocolate Chunk (I have a case in my car) or my new favorite Coconut Cashew.
  • hmonroe81978
    hmonroe81978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just wish the dickens there was a decent tasting powder that did not use milk. I've given up. Soy, pea, yuk

Try the BSN Syntha-6. It tastes great with water.. I love it. I have the chocolate milkshake forfeit and it's really good. There are several reviews on YouTube about it as well.. I'm happy bi found it..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It's just a supplement to help you hit your protein targets; nothing more, nothing less.