The battle has been won, but the war will continue

Options
Last September I was 252lbs. and my doctor met with me to tell me the results of some blood tests. He said I was pre-diabetic. I have a strong history of diabetes in my family and he basically said it was a matter of time, possibly only a year or two, before it got bad. So I decided to go on a diet. I have NEVER gone on a diet before. My wife lost 40lbs. on a diet and her mother lost 60lbs on one so I decided to try that one. I can't mention the name of the place or the diet because of the forum rules, but it was a medically monitored program. On my initial visit they did a complete blood workup and an EKG.

Then I started. The diet basically consists of three phases, induction, weight loss, and maintenance. The first two weeks you drink 128oz. of water a day and have 5 shakes. You can have sugar-free popsickles and sugar free gum as "snacks". This stage lasts for a week or two, or as long as you can tolerate it. I managed to stick with it for 2 weeks. You're basically living on 500-600 calories a day with the shakes. They also give you 5 vitamin supplements to take every night. I lost 10lbs the first week and 8lbs the second week. They discourage exercise when doing this part of the diet for obvious reasons. The first day I was fine. Days 2-5 I was miserable and weak, but by day 7, like the doctor said, my energy came back and I was basically fine.

Then I started their 3 and 1 plan. That's 3 shakes a day, 8oz of LEAN protein (fish, chicken breast, turkey, or a beef fillet) and at least 6 cups of vegetables (preferably raw), along with drinking 64oz of water and the vitamins at night. This plan gives you around 800 calories a day. Doing this I lost about 6lbs a week at first, and that trickled down as the weight came off to about 2lbs per week as of last month. On this plan they encourage light exercise...which I quickly learned was about 150 calories maximum (walking about 1.5 miles). During this whole process you are encouraged to keep carbs to a bare minimum...you get some from the vegetables, and some from the shakes, but no fruit, bread, corn, starches, potatoes, etc.

Now that I have reached my goal weight (165 this morning) I am doing what is called maintenance. Basically they say that carbs can be reintroduced, but stay away from the complex carbs like potatoes, rice, pasta, breads, etc. If I have to eat bread, eat whole wheat and if I eat a potato, eat a sweet potato. I am now eating about 3 cups of fruit a day, am staying away from the bad carbs which are metabolized more slowly, and am exercising heavily. I now run 2-3 miles a day and am eating close to 2,000 calories. So far I am still losing a little, but I am slowly adding calories back into my diet.

Through this whole thing I have learned so much about dieting that I never knew. For example, I always heard exercise was good, and it is, but the main benefit in exercise is to keep your weight maintained. When I started the diet i was burning around 2,500 calories a day just sitting around doing nothing at 250lbs. Drop your intake to 500 and that's 1900 calories your body has to burn from itself each day. To lose the same amount of weight by exercising, I would have to run at 6mph for almost 2 hours straight, or 12 miles a day. So the more overweight you are, the more benefit you would get from diet. Now as your weight drops, you burn less calories a day being idle. At 165lbs. I burn right at 2,000 calories a day. That's 500 calories less than I burned doing nothing at 250lbs. This is why dieting is easy at first, but gets harder as you lose weight. The less you weigh, the more you CAN exercise, and the more benefit you get from it to help weight loss. In theory, if I keep running 2-3 miles a day, (which burns about 350-400 calories), I can eat around 2350-2400 calories a day and maintain my weight. Without the exercise, I need to consume right at 2,000 calories.

Some numbers:
Weight Lost - 85 lbs.
Neck down to 15.5 inches from 20
Suit size down to 42 from 52
T-shirt down to XL from XXXL
Waist down to 36 inches from 46 inches

Replies

• callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I realize that you are new, and I am not trying to troll or be rude in any way, but...in general Success Stories are posts from people who have used the information and tool on this site to lose weight in a balanced and healthy way. The extreme techniques you mentioned in your post do not mention MFP in any way, and seems unrelated to lifelong weight loss techniques we are all learning here.
  • savvynurse
    savvynurse Posts: 292
    Options
    Great for you!!! I am glad this kind of diet worked for you however for a lot of us it is going to have to be the good old counting and burning. And this is coming from a post gb person. If you don't learn your lesson by counting and burning you are bound to repeat your past problems.

85lbs is a GREAT loss and am glad you made it to your goal. Keep up your momentum!!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    This is really good information and happy to know it's backed by some sort of medical evaluation. Understanding diet and exercise vs. calories burned at certain weight intervals seems to be very vital.. is there anywhere I can find more information on that particular topic? What should I search the net for? Key words? Very interesting! But most of all GREAT SUCCESS story!

BUMP!! :happy:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    eating like that is what brought me to where I was about one year ago.l hope you keep your weight where it is, because something tells me, youre setting yourself up

I lost, but in the old fashioned way, good exercise and good nutrition........no starving, just eating a sensible diet...........good luck, I sincerely wish you the best............Lloyd
  • Jaselygirl
    Jaselygirl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think it is fantastic that you have had such major weight loss. I hope MFP can help you continue your weightloss to reach your ultimate goals. I would love to see some before and after pics if you have them. :)
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    When I started the diet i was burning around 2,500 calories a day just sitting around doing nothing at 250lbs. Drop your intake to 500 and that's 1900 calories your body has to burn from itself each day. To lose the same amount of weight by exercising, I would have to run at 6mph for almost 2 hours straight, or 12 miles a day. So the more overweight you are, the more benefit you would get from diet. Now as your weight drops, you burn less calories a day being idle. At 165lbs. I burn right at 2,000 calories a day. That's 500 calories less than I burned doing nothing at 250lbs. This is why dieting is easy at first, but gets harder as you lose weight. The less you weigh, the more you CAN exercise, and the more benefit you get from it to help weight loss. In theory, if I keep running 2-3 miles a day, (which burns about 350-400 calories), I can eat around 2350-2400 calories a day and maintain my weight. Without the exercise, I need to consume right at 2,000 calories.
    First, Congrats.
    There's many people who have problems losing weight, and different methods seem to help people get to where they want to be.

There is a difference in losing weight, and being healthy and just losing weight.

When you mentioned 1900 calories that your body would burn every day, because you only took in 500 calories.
    Did they explain to you where your body gets the calories from for your body to burn the 1900 calories?
    Your fat? your muscles?
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Wow, this diet seems really extreme. I did Atkins religiously for about 6 months and lost a ton of weight, but it didnt work out (I love carbs) and I went back to my old habits. I would feel like I was going to die on a continuous basis. And I would worry about being really flabby, loose, and untoned from losing so much weight so fast....But, different strokes for different folks! COngrats on it working for you!
  • tiggiyy
    tiggiyy Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm not offended at all. I wish I had found this site sooner, but I am hoping it can be useful in maintaining my weight just by monitoring calories in and out and staying away from the worst of the carbs. I know already within a few weeks I have found once or twice I was getting less calories than I expected and a few times I took in more than I thought. As for the health of the diet I was on, I can only speak from my experience, my wife's experience, my father's experience, my mother's experience, and my mother-in-law's experience. My wife lost 40lbs, my mother-in-law lost 60, my father has lost 40 (his A1C has been cut in half). My wife has put only 10lbs back on in 2 years since stopping. My mother-in-law has put 20 back on in the past 3 years. But none of them used this site, so I'm hoping this site can help me keep the weight off. I know it's simple to put it back on, which is why I said the war will continue until healthy eating becomes a habit and something I don't have to think about.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!