HRM Accuracy?

Options
Quick question: I have just started using a HRM to calculate my calories burned. It is a Timex Zone and it is a bit complicated to learn but I've figured out this much. But when I used it twice today to calculate the number of calories burned the numbers seemed very high (from 400- 1900) for working out. I weigh 266 lbs, and it was HOT today... my pulse ranged from 100 bpm to 150 bpm, and my time was 1 hour and 100 minutes. Any thoughts, folks?

Thanks in advance for your help!! :-)

Replies

• alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Bump- got a new HRM today, interested in more info.
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Does it have a chest strap or do you just push a button? I tried one of the push-button types before I finally caved and bought a Polar - they aren't accurate at ALL. I found that the cheaper, strapless one told me I burned two times more calories than I really did.
  • ramius
    ramius Posts: 91
    Options
    I take what my HRM tells me and run it through here.. but I also know my VO2 number and I generally use the lower of the 2 numbers just to stay on the safe side..

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

My HRM is a Polar RS300X which is AWESOME!!
  • bigredhearts
    bigredhearts Posts: 428
    Options
    im unaware of how accurate that brand is but i do know that my HRM calculates my cals burned by my age and my heart rate and in one of my workouts i burn 720 cals in 45 min of workout and half an hour of stretch...
  • DrMaryMatthews
    DrMaryMatthews Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great info! (so far) folks!!

My HRM does have a chest strap.

For the HR it seems accurate. (I know about how hard my heart is usually working) It's the calories I'm confused about.

I will also ask my doctor and my physical therapist, both of whole I'll see this week. (for other reasons)

And really to move that much weight (me) that far (3.25 miles/hr) for that long (1 hour plus) on hills, does take a good bit of energy.
  • DrMaryMatthews
    Options
    UPDATE:

Well, now I'm confused - to the question: How accurate are the calorie meters on a HRM?

I asked my physical therapist: very fit dedicated runner. He said he usually will burn 2000 calories running 90 minutes, and feels it is accurate. He's thin and healthy, but not a physician.

I asked my physician: a standard general practitioner. He said it does not matter that I should NEVER eat my exercise calories!! He also said that it does not matter what I eat, as long as it is VERY low calorie total. He also said exercise is great for heart/lungs/muscles but does not matter to diet. He repeatedly refers to the guy who ate nothing but food from a convenience store for a month and lost weight because he limited his calories. My doctor also has the nurse in his office on a 750 cal/day diet, and though she is loosing weight - I wonder what the long term impacts will be.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in my doctor's attitude. And I have had friends do "starvation diets" who lost a bunch, but felt like total crud the whole time, and very quickly gained it back and then a lot more afterwards.

So....

I guess I'll just have to figure it out as I go. And honestly, I look at my physical therapist and I look at my doctor, and I'd rather be physically fit and eating more calories, than starving myself and loosing weight too fast... I'll keep you all posted...

Any inputs here are MOST WELCOME! :smile:
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've got some input for you - run, don't walk, to a new GP. This guy sounds like a moron.

My GP was concerned about my weight, too time to tell me how she and her family were incorporating better choices into their diets, did loads of blood work to ensure I hadn't damaged anything yet with my weight, told me to exercise, maintain a healthy diet, and to never go under 1000 calories. My trainer is also a nutritionist, and is firm on my eating my exercise calories back.

Extreme Weight loss like we see on biggest loser is very dangerous, unhealthy, and will likely result in weight gain again down the road....

I haven't been to the dr since I started losing weight. Is it weird that I kinda can't wait to see her reaction?
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    As far as accuracy I believe the Timex are kinda notorious for over estimating calorie burn.
  • JulianDaley
    JulianDaley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There used to be a guy called Azdak on these forums (where did he go?) who seemed to know a lot about HRM's. There is a blog post here which I think explains it all quite well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • DrMaryMatthews
    Options
    Thanks so much Julian! Very interesting!! :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly return the Timex and invest in a Polar. If your Timex is the one that I had, that only lets you input your weight, its not that accurate at all. When looking for an HRM, you need one that lets you input your age, sex, height and weight... those are the most accurate ones from what I've heard.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    UPDATE:

Well, now I'm confused - to the question: How accurate are the calorie meters on a HRM?

I asked my physical therapist: very fit dedicated runner. He said he usually will burn 2000 calories running 90 minutes, and feels it is accurate. He's thin and healthy, but not a physician.

I asked my physician: a standard general practitioner. He said it does not matter that I should NEVER eat my exercise calories!! He also said that it does not matter what I eat, as long as it is VERY low calorie total. He also said exercise is great for heart/lungs/muscles but does not matter to diet. He repeatedly refers to the guy who ate nothing but food from a convenience store for a month and lost weight because he limited his calories. My doctor also has the nurse in his office on a 750 cal/day diet, and though she is loosing weight - I wonder what the long term impacts will be.

To be honest, I'm disappointed in my doctor's attitude. And I have had friends do "starvation diets" who lost a bunch, but felt like total crud the whole time, and very quickly gained it back and then a lot more afterwards.

So....

I guess I'll just have to figure it out as I go. And honestly, I look at my physical therapist and I look at my doctor, and I'd rather be physically fit and eating more calories, than starving myself and loosing weight too fast... I'll keep you all posted...

Any inputs here are MOST WELCOME! :smile:

If it has the chest strap and you know how hard you are working, and you know the settings are correct, then I would use the calories it gives you. If after a few weeks you don't get expected results on the scale I would consider trying something else. Make sure all your settings in the HRM are correct.