PCOS & Metformin- weight loss

Options
Hello! I just found out I have PCOS. So I've been put on Metformin ER 500mg 1 time a day. It gives me HORRIBLE diarrhea if I eat a lot of carbs & sugar. Therefore, I'm now eating a low carb diet. Anyone have success on Metformin & losing weight?? I've wondered for years why I couldn't lose weight like everyone else. Hoping now I'm on the right track!

Replies

• NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I lost about 30 pounds after being put on Metformin about 4 years ago. Then I maintained a weight for a while, but would fluctuate between 5-10 pounds (I wasn't trying either). Now, I actively started trying to count and weigh all my foods and drinks, and exercise too. I've been consistently loosing about 2 pounds a week since the beginning of January. I think the Metformin helps, but it will give you very bad diarrhea, especially if you take in too many carbs. I noticed I had really bad diarrhea at the beginning but it got better after being on it a while.

A side note... Take a multivitamin if you are having diarrhea. I lost a ton of hair (assuming from all the diarrhea), until I realized I was probably on too high of a dose, and started taking a multivitamin. Talk to your doctor if you keep having symptoms, so they can re-evaluate your dose!
  • ashleyrwalkner
    ashleyrwalkner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good to know!! I learned the hard way about diarrhea! But it's been better since I've been watching carbs & sugar. Plus I'll have Imodium if it's too bad. I'm a RN so I exercise around my 3 days of work. I'm steadily dropping so I'm excited! Plus I'm trying to conceive so I've been taking prenatal vitamins since last July. Thanks for your advice! Glad to see it helping others!