Starting to take a daily vitamin...suggestions?

Options
I bought Centrum for women to start with is that a good one, or should I be using something else?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Centrum is fine, there is no need to take additional supplements unless you're deficient.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Centrum is fine, there is no need to take additional supplements unless you're deficient.
    Many people on a calorie restricted diet are deficient in micro nutrients & women who menstruate often fail to get enough iron from their diets, whether or not they are on a calorie-restricted diet. Vitamins with "USP" designation have met some quality criteria - that's all I look for.

• nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that cheap vitamins don't work because they don't break down in your body. Whether or not it's true, I don't know...

very helpful, I know.
  • AshC1023
    AshC1023 Posts: 109
    Options
    I like the Rainbow Light ones for women. Centrum and all that is too harsh on an empty stomach, but those I can take with just water and it's fine, except I believe they have chlorophyll in them and it makes you pee green. But, it's a pretty shade of green, lol!
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of anecdotal evidence saying that cheap vitamins don't work because they don't break down in your body. Whether or not it's true, I don't know...

very helpful, I know.

I also heard some generic brands had zero vit/minerals in them they were labeled for. Some had sawdust and other weird stuff in them.
    I would be interested to see the commits on this. I have been thinking of taking a muli'vit, but not sure witch brand to try.
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm kind of helped lol thanks guys I'm going to the dr next week I'll ask and see what she says. I am not getting all of my vitamins in my diet so figured I should sub.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would recommend getting blood work done to test levels of vitamins like d and iron (particularly if you are a woman). I was taking multivitamins for a long time before having my work done last week. My iron levels were through the roof. Doctor told me to stop any vitamin with iron in it ASAP. My D was bottomed out and he gave me the 50,000 iu RX to bring it up. Had no idea before I did my blood work that high iron was even a possibility for women. :smile:
  • Michelletrk
    Options
    Thanks Crystal! Having blood drawn on Tuesday!
  • lavenders1623
    Options
    I love my GNC women's vitamins for energy and metabolism boost! I finally convinced my husband he needs to take the men's version as well. I've been taking them for a few months now and I feel amazing when I take them. I'm positive and alot more energy. I can tell a difference between taking them and when I miss them for the day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You guys. If you want facts, go to the source. It is no use passing on rumours.

http://www.fda.gov/forconsumers/consumerupdates/ucm118079.htm#regulated

Because I malabsorb some vitamins, I get blood work done and take vitamins to supplement. I find it funny that I had to switch from an over 50 women's vitamin to a pregnancy multivitamin to make sure I get enough folic acid.

It is worth it for women to check if they are iron deficient and supplement if needed.

Calcium if you have worries about Osteoporosis but the only way to confirm is with a bone scan.

Nearly everyone in the northern hemisphere benefits from added vitamin D.
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was extremely low in vitamin D and always low in iron. Have to get more blood work since im sure my hysto could have fixed this. It's worth it to have lab done
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I think most brands are about the same. I compared contents of several before I bought.

I order mine from pipingrock.com. I take their One Daily High Potency Coated Tablets and the High Potency Vitamin D3 5,000 IU Softgels. They have a huge variety...specific women's formulas, etc. Very cheap. I also order my psyllium husk from them...the best price I have found anywhere and great quality. Free shipping as well....and fast.

I think with restricted calorie diets for a prolonged period of time it is very different to get ALL the micronutrients you need. A supplement can help fill in any gaps. I have read conflicting things about how well they absorb over the years, but my doctor recommended I take supplements.

One piece of advice...some are better absorbed with certain foods. For example, vitamin d3 and any fat soluble vitamins absorb better if taken with a meal containing fat. Iron absorbs better if taken with orange juice. Calcium absorbs better if taken with vitamin D. Also, certain foods or vitamins can interfere with absorption of certain vitamins. Iron makes it much harder for the body to absorb calcium, so they shouldn't be taken together.

So read up on whatever you decide to take to give yourself the best chance of utilizing the contents.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I take Flinstones :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I take gummies - my doc swears they absorb better. I feel great so no arguments.
  • Angiefit4life
    Angiefit4life Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I believe one should always consult with their doctor. I take vitamin D3 50,000, multivitamin, plus fiber and depending on my repeat bone scan in July they may add additional supplement since my last scan showed osteophenia. I have an autoimmune disorder. Ugh I feel they're are always wanting my blood;)
  • angiepreston84
    angiepreston84 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have been taking vemma. It's a liquid vitamin which absorbs into your body quicker. Comes with a shot glass, 2 bottles for a month supply but its a bit spendy. I had much more energy while on it. I believe has a nice orangy type taste. My kids take the childrens form. I hate swollowing pills and seem to forget
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use a higher quality one. I noticed that my skin felt and looked better after a few weeks of switching from the cheaper grand. The cheap multis like Centrum never did that for me.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I like to buy USP certified vitamin/mineral supplements (tip: I noticed Nature Made has most of their offerings in USP certified forms now--they're modestly priced and available everywhere in the US--YAY!).

Verify with your physician what your needs may be (of course). Mine has me on a daily multi (for nutrition "insurance"), 5,000IU daily of D3 (I'm deficient), and 4g of fish oil daily (for my heart health/cholesterol issues).
  • Michelletrk
    Options
    Thanks all
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

very helpful, I know.

Don't even post this...