Weekly Limit

Options
lindseyrenee8
lindseyrenee8 Posts: 27 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have seen some people say they are under their weekly limit or they save some calories during the week to splurge on the weekend.

What does that mean? Will your body still be able to burn fat if for example by Saturday im under my weekly by 4000 and eat over my daily limit of 1800 Saturday (eat 3500)?

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Hi :) Some members choose to track daily cals, some chose to track weekly and have a surplus for the weekend. As long as you're still in a deficit you won't gain weight. It's just a different method of doing it :)
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As long as you are in a deficit overtime you will lose weight.
    This is my cals for the last 30 days
    410910282.jpg

My weight for the last 30 days (I enter my weight once a week on fridays)
    410910283.jpg

You may notice water weight gains after the high cal (likely higher sodium days), I don't really since I started to work out but you can have water weight show on the scale on high cal high sodium days.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I pay more attention to my weekly deficit. One day of going over your calories is not going to make much of a difference,(( unless you go over by thousands consistently)) just like eating one healthy low fat meal won't make you skinny.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    For example: If I go over my calories on Monday, then I can shave some calories off everyday for the rest of the week to make up for it and put me back in a deficit
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I eat around 1200-1300 on weekdays and then 2000ish on weekends. I've lost 23kg so far doing this and it allows me to keep sane and not feel like I'm compromising too much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes I check weekly using the app for average consumption and how many under goal I am ...well I do a rolling last 7 days. I will never borrow from the future though as I don't have that kind of discipline
  • lindseyrenee8
    Options
    I still don't understand.

Science says calories over your maintenance will cause your body to store the extra calories as fat.

So if I save calories Monday and splurge 2000 more cal Saturday, wouldn't those extra calories add to weight gain?

Or instead of daily count, weekly count is what really matters in either gaining or loosing.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    pengy7583 wrote: »

Science says calories over your maintenance will cause your body to store the extra calories as fat.

So if I save calories Monday and splurge 2000 more cal Saturday, wouldn't those extra calories add to weight gain?

Or instead of daily count, weekly count is what really matters in either gaining or loosing.

You have to think longer term. A day here and there over in calories makes little difference in the grand scheme of things if you are in a deficit every other day.

What is important for weight loss is that you use more calories than you take in. When you take in those calories doesn't matter as long as the deficit is there.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eg.
    Average woman's maintenance is 2000/day.

To lose 1lb/week she needs a deficit of 3500cals.

For 7 days she can eat 1500 cals and lose a lb.

Or

5 days at 1300 cals, 2 eating her maintenance and still have the same potential to lose 1lb because it's still the same deficit as above over the week.

The opposite applies for gaining 1lb/week.

Not forgetting that the loss may not be exact week after week for various reasons that make scales mischievous, secretive and a tool of potential torture for the uninitiated.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Weekly count is fine for weight loss - it doesn't matter day to day it matters over time
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    pengy7583 wrote: »

See you are right. On days you go over you gain, but on days you cut off extra calories you lose more than you would have had you eaten your allotted average so it all levels off.

Example, look at these fictional numbers:
    - You lose 0.14 a day eating at 1800 and average 1 pound loss a week if you eat 1800 every single day.
    - You lose 0.28 a day if you eat 1300 (500 calories less than the usual daily calories needed to lose 1 pound a week)
    - You gain 0.14 if you eat 2800 calories (1000 calories over your usual daily calories)

If you had all days at a loss of 0.14 it would be like this : -0.14 x 7 = roughly -1 pound a week.

Now suppose you had 2 days at 1300, 1 day at 2800, and the rest at 1800, your total loss would go like this: (2 x -0.28) + (1 x +0.14) + (4 x -0.14) = roughly -1 pounds a week.

If you don't feel like dealing with equations think of it like this: you are borrowing calories from days to use them on others without affecting your overall average for a week, even though you may gain on some of these days. It's basically a micro yoyo diet.
  • lindseyrenee8
    Options
    Alright, FINALLY I get it now!!!!! Thanks alot guys!
  • polkadont
    polkadont Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    so glad I came across this forum! It seems like it would be so much more reasonable for weekends and other random splurges.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm also a weekly counter, and I love it. I don't have to be anxious when I go over my goal on one day or under it on others. I don't think it's realistic to expect to eat the exact same amount of calories every single day. My weight loss has not been harmed by this.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to daily counts just because it stops me from the unhealthy behaviour of saying "oh, I'll just borrow some calories from tomorrow". But ultimately I also look to come in at or under my weekly count.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    it's funny, no one ever says "omg, i went over my calories by a hundred every day this week, so saturday and sunday i have to eat 500 calories less."

not saying that you can't bank a few calories for the weekend, just be mindful about it.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    it's funny, no one ever says "omg, i went over my calories by a hundred every day this last week, so saturday i have to eat 500 calories less."

I do this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    it's funny, no one ever says "omg, i went over my calories by a hundred every day this week, so saturday and sunday i have to eat 500 calories less."

not saying that you can't bank a few calories for the weekend, just be mindful about it.

I do. It's the balancing that makes this work for me.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    it's funny, no one ever says "omg, i went over my calories by a hundred every day this last week, so saturday i have to eat 500 calories less."

I do this.

Me too

• stephdeeday
    stephdeeday Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My calorie goal is 2200 but I try to eat at 2000 during the week so that I have an extra 1000 calories for the weekend. It just makes my life much easier that way.