Too much sodium? Too much water? Two pound weight fluctuation...

Options
Hey everyone. I was weighing in at 140 pounds yesterday (I'm trying to make it down to 125 and tone up a bit). This morning I was weighing in at 142.2. I am not in complete freakout mode because I know I can't gain two pounds in a day, especially not on a 1200 calorie diet but I was wondering what could lead to this fluctuation. For the past couple of days I've been drinking a lot more water (I've been very thirsty) and snacking on Stacy's Naked Pita Chips with hummus, which are kind of salty. I have also been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and woke up very sore today. Is it possible that the fluctuation is due to the salt/weightlifting program?

Replies

• wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Most likely imho
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I know my weight will be up for a couple of days after too much sodium. I don't worry too much since I know I was still at or under my calorie goal.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Two pounds? That's a Morning Poop for me.

I'll fluctuate 6 pounds in a day (not even overnight), regularly.
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. I was weighing in at 140 pounds yesterday (I'm trying to make it down to 125 and tone up a bit). This morning I was weighing in at 142.2. I am not in complete freakout mode because I know I can't gain two pounds in a day, especially not on a 1200 calorie diet but I was wondering what could lead to this fluctuation. For the past couple of days I've been drinking a lot more water (I've been very thirsty) and snacking on Stacy's Naked Pita Chips with hummus, which are kind of salty. I have also been doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program and woke up very sore today. Is it possible that the fluctuation is due to the salt/weightlifting program?
    How much water do you usually drink? Are you hitting negative calories at the end of the day? You can try lower the sodium and see if it helps. Yet it might be hormones problem. Estrogen is a *kitten* in women (:
  • aliciamarieUF
    aliciamarieUF Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll go maybe 100 or 200 calories over, but it's never anything completely ridiculous. I've been drinking about a liter of water. I find it difficult to drink two. I'll keep on eye on the scale this next week. Maybe I just need some rest from the gym and to cut back on the pita chips.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Normal daily fluctuations.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    woke up very sore = water retention in muscles for cushioning and to aid in repair. No big surprise you "gained" 2 lbs of water weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Over time you will learn not to freak out about it particularly when you already know the reasons

You should do a trend over time like happyscale app or trendweight.com to reinforce the regular scale movement

Or stop weighing so frequently