Whey shakes

Options
hi just some advise needed I want to start taking some kind of whey powder for building muscles and help with weight loss there is so many brands about and it's confusing i run and go gym a lot Iv lost over 3st in weight and don't want to put it back on can someone advise me of good quality but no so expensive stuff that will show results.

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    They're all much of a much - it's more about personal preference.

Myprotein are about the most reasonable IMO, not a favourite of mine but my brother uses them.

My favourite whey is PHD pharma but ON 100% and maximuscle are nice too. There are usually BOGOF offers on maximuscle in the supermarket. PHD and ON have their own websites but are often cheaper on bodybuilding.com or sometimes amazon. Steer clear of holland and barrat - they know nothing and everything is overpriced.

Myprotein.co.uk, ONacademy.co.uk and PHD (google it can't remember website name) all do sample sachets for around £1.

Make sure you've got a solid programme so you're building the muscle you want and not just adding extra cals. Oh, it's also totally possible to just get your protein from food - I'd only shell out for whey if you're not managing to hit your protein macro through diet alone.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is nothing special. It's a convienent way to get protein. You will build muscle with a high protein diet and making sure you're in a caloric surplus.

Don't go for the cheap stuff. It's cheap for a reason. Excess of fillers and crap ingredients. Some of these companies have lawsuits going their way for amino spiking(Google it). To sum it up, you're not getting what's actually on the label, you may be getting half the protein of even less.

The only brand I would recommend people is MTS Whey. You can order it online, the 5lb tub costs $55(theres a sale on tigerfitness atm for the Arnold classic). Expensive? A little, but if you break it down per serving, it'll only cost like 80 cents which isn't much compare to the standard quality proteins. Mts is a tested product with an awesome CEO. All the flavors are on point(cookies and cream & creamy red velvet are amazing).

Cellucor and Optimum Nutrition are good brands too.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    DJMark14 wrote: »
    hi just some advise needed I want to start taking some kind of whey powder for building muscles and help with weight loss

First bit of advice...get that out of your head.

Whey powder is a way some people find convenient/tasty to get more protein into their diet if they are lacking getting it through normal meals. No more, no less.

In and of itself, it will NOT build muscles and it will NOT make you lose weight.
  • datboyrobd
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    DJMark14 wrote: »
    hi just some advise needed I want to start taking some kind of whey powder for building muscles and help with weight loss

First bit of advice...get that out of your head.

Whey powder is a way some people find convenient/tasty to get more protein into their diet if they are lacking getting it through normal meals. No more, no less.

In and of itself, it will NOT build muscles and it will NOT make you lose weight.

Exactly. Years ago I would drink 2-3 2scoop shakes a day thinking it would help. All that extra protein gets burned off as energy. If you already eat around your bodyweight in protein there not really a need. Maybe as dessert. BSN syntha 6 tastes really good.
  • Silveya
    Silveya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can add to the other comments is to read the ingredients. If they put a group ingredient in, then those are often loaded with fillers. I don't have a label near me so a poor example of a grouped ingredient would be like "energy boosting mix", something along those lines. Where they don't really say what is in it.
  • DJMark14
    DJMark14 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey thanks for the replies means alot i am very healthy I don't smoke or drink and the reason I put this out there was because I thought u needed to have the shakes to help with building your muscles and also to help loose weight. So really to what you are all saying is then you don't need theses just a healthy diet thanks for putting me on the right path