Post-Workout refueling

Options
Gillott232
Gillott232 Posts: 18 Member
After my working out I have found that I feel very weak and exhausted. I know that experts say that after a hardworkout its best to do some refueling thats good in protein. Any suggestions on some good options to do this?

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I usually do a protein shake because I'm exhausted and don't want to cook immeidately after the gym.

Then any meal that has some lean meat, veggies, and some good carbs.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I am using the unflavored protein from Nutro-Bio it has a very high biological value and has no preservatives. I mix it with 1 tbsp of Hershey's Pure Cocoa (for flavor and antioxidants), truvia, and mix it with Non-Fat Organic milk. It is yummy and I seem to rebound quite well.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Agree w. bmont87 - protein shake within an hour (preferably half-hour) of workout and then later lean protein, veggies and complex carbs.

I love my protein powder - Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor + 1 tbsp Peanut Butter + Ice + Water. Mix it in the Magic Bullet and I'm set! Tastes like a peanut butter milkshake
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What bmontgomery87 said. A good protein, good carbs like fruit or oats blended in a shake works for me. The powder I use has glutamine and bcaa's in it which also help in muscle recovery.
  • MindyC7609
    MindyC7609 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You need to fuel yourself properly BEFORE your workouts and all day, every day. If you do that, you'll find you need post-workout refueling only on really hard days. I never worry about post-workout refueling except when I run 10 miles or more, and then I simply drink chocolate milk. Just ask any distance runner -- most of them will recommend chocolate milk...
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The current science , from multiple sources, says you need carbs after a workouts as that gets absorbed into your muscle much faster than protein. The ideal ratio of protein and carbs after a workout is 4:1. Protein usually comes about an hour or so later.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese
    cheese sticks
    Already cooked chicken breast
    Chocolate milk
    Protein shake
    Peanutbutter
    Pre sliced meat
    Beans
    greek yogurt

I like a glass of chocolate milk and 1/2c of cottage cheese (i mix vanilla and cocoa powder in the cottage cheese it is pretty good)

Or I will precook some chicken breasts and then chow down on 2-4 ounces of chicken.

a Protein shake is great because you can add peanut butter, and bananas (potasium) and all sorts of stuff to it and get a huge amount of protein in one glass

Play it up its fun!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I have a whey protein shake because the protein is absorbed quickly and it helps the muscles recover and repair themselves quickly.
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are pretty good because they are easy and the protein in them is readily able to be absorbed and utilized. I usually combine with a good carb source to also refuel glycogen stores in the muscles.
  • editz01
    editz01 Posts: 6
    Options
    Also, a spoonful of peanut butter helps too ;) No cooking with that either ;)
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

I love my protein powder - Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream Flavor

yum.
    gotta try this one. ON makes some good stuff.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You guys have brought out a little contrarian in me. I stay away from the expensive powders shakes and bars for my big meal of the day. My big meal of the day I pre-plan and prep before my workout, which is usually 6-9 PM (except now that I'm commuting to work on my bike everythings changed). I end up eating my big meal 8-9 PM immediately after my workout. I prep a salad and either cook wild rice, tortillas, a hamburger bun or a potato for my starch, and only need to grill some protein, less than 10 minutes usually.

Also, I eat between 4-5 PM before my workout, usually at least a 1.5 hours prior to the workout.

Now that I'm commuting, I get home about 6:45 and try and eat by 7:15. Salad, starch, and a protein (fish, chicken, pork, or beef).
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    After my working out I have found that I feel very weak and exhausted. I know that experts say that after a hardworkout its best to do some refueling thats good in protein. Any suggestions on some good options to do this?

Also, it's awesome that you feel weak and exhausted after your workouts! It sounds like your doing it right!
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.
  • Chey16
    Chey16 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Protein Pancakes, Sounds nasty yet one of my fav. foods!!!!

All you need is
    -Scoop of Protein Powder
    -Spoonful of Greek Yogurt
    -1/4 Cup of Oats
    -1/4 Cup of Egg White
    -1/2 Banana Smashed Up

You mix them all together and put them in the skillet, As simple as that, and if you want some fat because after workouts you need card,protein and fat than just put a teaspoon of organic peanut butter on it...

This is what i normally eat for breakfast, after workouts and sometimes just for a snack---It ONLY 333 CALORIES.. You will not believe that when you eat it!!!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of protein shakes either. I workout early in the morning, so I come home and cook a quick little omlet - usually with egg whites, pico de gallo, and chunk chicken breast. Or an english muffin, or toast with peanut butter. Agree with those who have said chocolate milk also.