good day, bad day : (

Options
since joining MFP i've noticed a lot of inconsistencies with my cal intake. it seems like at least 2 or 3 days a week i'll have a major slip up...sometimes eating 2000 cals over my limit (i'm ashamed to say this but it's true). i usually exercise a lot to compensate but i feel like i'm all over the place...one day will be great and the next will be a disaster. i know i'm not alone on this one but sometimes i feel like most of the folks on here aren't slipping up this often (i'm not talking small slip ups either). is anyone in the same boat?

Replies

• nicole_marieee
    Options
    i do the EXACT same thing...I don't even record the days i have major slip ups...im ashamed to say it too sometimes i have binged of over like 2000 calories its completely disgusting, but i don't know how to stop. I've been dieting now for 4 months and have only lost 12 pounds and I feel like I could be much further ito it if I didn't have my binges. I know how you feel :(
  • Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just a thought..Have you tried planning ur meals ahead of time. I sit down in the morning and put in everything I am going to eat that day. If I want something more then I know I have to exercise. It helps guide me so I am not making quick decisions without thinking about it. I will create my meal plan and then switch things around so I am satisfied and in my cal. range. U can do it!
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have 1 or 2 days a week that I go over. But I do it less then when i first started here.
  • iamkelskels
    iamkelskels Posts: 81
    Options
    don't assume that! you're definitely not alone in feeling like you are inconsistant, because i'm the same way.
    but everyone has their days, and a lot of people go back and forth with being "in the zone" so to speak, and being super focused, then back to slipping up 24/7.
    it'll get easier!
    maybe, if you feel like you need to get a handle on things, plan ahead? for example, i knew I would be working through lunch at my parents convience store where all they have is junk food, i brought a big bag of carrots and my slim fast powder (i'm trying slim fast at the moment) so i would have my lunch all set and not fall into eating crappy food with the excuse that there was nothing better.

i hope that helped.. just don't feel alone in having good and bad days because it definitely happening to everyone!
  • smorry
    smorry Posts: 2
    Options
    hey....changing your life is a process not an event. You are both courageous for doing this! Go ahead and record your food. The shame is the problem. Stop that voice in your head. Make the decision to stop beating yourself up and then, do the next right thing....keep practicing. You didn't get to where you are overnight (the bad habit) and you aren't getting to where you are going over night either....keep your eye on the prize which is more good days back to back and fewer icky days.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    when I was first on here I thought I was doing horribly and almost gave up until...

You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better.

Also rather than being uberstrict with the target MFP set for me I did the math to find out the calories needed to maintain my goal weight and my current weight and I gave myself a range with 1200 as my rock bottom, lose 1 lb/wk as my target and maintain my goal weight as the top of my range. As long as I keep within in this range I'll lose. I tend to naturally zig zag my calories 3-4 at very close to my target and then a higher calorie day closer to the top of my range.

As long as I stayed under maintain my current weight calories I won't gain. So no need to throw in the towel, just pick-up where I left off.

Once I found ways to lessen the stress, I found it way easier to focus on the process and let the results follow. (It's what worked for me some people need the stress to get them motivated. Me I get scared and overwhelmed and don't see the big goal as achievable. Now, I only worry about it 1 lb at a time.)

Don't feel guilty over shoot your target once in a while.. We all have to eat and we can't make the healthiest choice with every mouthful. So as long as I'm doing better than I was doing, I'm moving in the right direction, I can improve a little here and a little there, and later on look for something else to improve. I don't have to figure it out all at once BUT I do have to do what I can do.
  • Dancinblind
    Dancinblind Posts: 26
    Options
    Lightjules has a point. Yesterday I sat down and planned out my meals for today in my food diary to get an idea of caloric intake. Worked out pretty well I would say, it gave me a good idea of where I needed to cut back to reach my goal. Just a thought... after all, once you add the items you can always delete them. And the way I figured it last night, its easier to delete them from my food diary then it is once they make it past my lips. :o) Don't beat yourself up though!! The key thing is you recognize where you are struggling and you are aware that you need to make a change. Do what works best for you!! Best of luck :o)
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    i do the EXACT same thing...I don't even record the days i have major slip ups...im ashamed to say it too sometimes i have binged of over like 2000 calories its completely disgusting, but i don't know how to stop. I've been dieting now for 4 months and have only lost 12 pounds and I feel like I could be much further ito it if I didn't have my binges. I know how you feel :(

i have major issues with binging...doesn't seem like many people on MFP talk about it but i'm sure there are a lot of us out there. thanks for the support
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    Just a thought..Have you tried planning ur meals ahead of time. I sit down in the morning and put in everything I am going to eat that day. If I want something more then I know I have to exercise. It helps guide me so I am not making quick decisions without thinking about it. I will create my meal plan and then switch things around so I am satisfied and in my cal. range. U can do it!
    [/quote

i've seriously considered doing this..however, i''m a little afriad that i might go overboard and freak out if everything doesn't go according to plan. i'm pretty black and white when it comes to food...i either do really well or really bad...i'm having a hard time letting go of that mentality. i think recording everything beforehand would be helpful though and well worth the try. my only question is what if your body needs or wants something other than whats on the planned menu (potatoes or protein or fruit). sometimes your body craves for a reason so i'm worried about planning ahead and feeling deprived when i ignore my cravings. any ideas?
  • dan_jones
    dan_jones Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I could be the President of this club. I have the credentials to prove it. LOL. I have been going way over
    my limit a lot lately. Now I sit pretty stuffed feeling a little guilty (don't do this all the time) but I know I could have
    eaten about half what I did for dinner. To make matters worse I have been having trouble exercising like I was
    a few weeks ago. I would walk at least a hour almost every day, now if I get an hour in I am doing real good.
    Today only 40 minutes and I planned on doing more in the early evening but now its late and dark.

It seems like I am more hungry when i don't get the traditional hour+ of exercising. I guess I need to move
    my legs more than I move my jaw. We will keep trying to get back on track. Once your off your plan you
    get in uncharted waters real fast!
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Ashley,

Everyone slips, we’re human that’s what humans do. Think of it as a sport(that’s how us men think of things) not every team wins every game, even the good ones slip up and lose every now and then. But with that said, the goal is to minimize the loses(slips). As well as to minimize the points lost.

I try to minimize my loses to once or twice a month, and keep the points how far I slip to a minimum. My slips are a few hundred points. But as farther you get into the dieting, you becomes a little more discipline, and then “Slip ups” become rewards to accomplishing certain goals.

Good luck in getting to your goals.

4822665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I would consider 2000 cals over a binge.... Might help to think about what lead to it. Are you too low on your daily calorie allotment and letting hungar get the best of you? Are you depriving yourself of certain foods on your plan and break down with a craving? Is it emotional eating? I think understanding what is drivingt he binges will help alot.

Just don't get discouraged, Keep up the effort!
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    I would consider 2000 cals over a binge.... Might help to think about what lead to it. Are you too low on your daily calorie allotment and letting hungar get the best of you? Are you depriving yourself of certain foods on your plan and break down with a craving? Is it emotional eating? I think understanding what is drivingt he binges will help alot.

Just don't get discouraged, Keep up the effort!

it was all of the above...i went too long without eating and then didn't eat what i was really craving. all i wanted was a sweet potato with sour cream but i didnt have one ready to go like i usually do (lack of planning) so i slipped. once i overate a little it turned into a full on binge. overeating (even if it's minor) has always been a trigger for me. once i get going, it's hard to stop : /