Looking for some good side dishes

Options
Ice_Arrows
Ice_Arrows Posts: 46 Member
edited March 2015 in Recipes
Hi I'm looking for some cheap and tasty sides to go with meals. Most so far if not pasta consist of some type of meat, rice/potato, with a big serving of frozen veggies either steam fried or roasted.
Getting a little tired of the same old stuff and would love to hear what others on here are having :smile: Please nothing with beans(though green are fine), kale, or spinach though, sorry but just can't get them down.

Also is there any way to cook asparagus so its not hard and stringy to eat? Love the flavour but texture so far is a no :/

Replies

• Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,444 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Check out this thread - "Veggies - what to do with em?" Lots of good suggestions
    -
    - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/31432752#Comment_31432752

-
    16434567.png
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i like chopping asparagus into inch or smaller sized pieces and throwing them into rice. they don't need to cook that long, and can go near the end of the cooking process.

also, stir fry is pretty awesome, especially if you get a little bottle of sesame oil to add a little flavor. i cheat, and buy the veggies pre-cut.

have you tried different ways of cooking kale and spinach?? i find that sauteing them with oil and garlic is absolutly great!!

and this i my latest go-to website for recipes, budgetbytes.com lots of good dishes, many of them single skillet recipes to help cut down on the cleaning. i feel that if you cook a lot on your own, you do tend to fall into a rut of cooking the same things over and over again, so it's nice to try new stuff and expand your palate.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    Thanks! There are a nice few ideas there and will definately be trying roasted butternut squash asap :smiley:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Thanks! There are a nice few ideas there and will definately be trying roasted butternut squash asap :smiley:

speaking of... http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/butternut-squash-mac-cheese/
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    Haven't tried them sauteed but may give it a shot. Checking out that website though, the less clean up after the better! And if it fits the budget what could be better?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Haven't tried them sauteed but may give it a shot. Checking out that website though, the less clean up after the better! And if it fits the budget what could be better?

the secret is to use a lot of garlic.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    Will pick some up on next month's shopping trip and try it. If I like it, great! If not, at least I tried it again :smile:
  • SarahKhristan
    SarahKhristan Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potatoes often. Also try balsamic Brussel sprouts.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm looking for some cheap and tasty sides to go with meals. Most so far if not pasta consist of some type of meat, rice/potato, with a big serving of frozen veggies either steam fried or roasted.
    Getting a little tired of the same old stuff and would love to hear what others on here are having :smile: Please nothing with beans(though green are fine), kale, or spinach though, sorry but just can't get them down.

Also is there any way to cook asparagus so its not hard and stringy to eat? Love the flavour but texture so far is a no :/

Buy thicker asparagus and peel them. Don't overcook.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    well it's not exactly "light" in calories, but my family's favorite way to eat asparagus is to cut it into half inch lengths and saute in olive oil until slightly brown and the tops are crispy. We also peel them because my grandma and my mom don't like the outer layer.

You could try making yellow rice or add different spices to your starches.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    You can peel asparagus? Somehow that thought never occurred to me :\
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    New favorite frozen spinach cooked, drained and season with a little soy sauce, sesame oil and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

I just tried grilled baby bok choy. It was good. I like most veggies grilled. Favorites are zucchini, squash, eggplant, portobello mushrooms, onion and red bell peppers.

Bell peppers and onions are great sauteed. Delicious with chicken, shrimp or beef as fajitas.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    snap the asparagus where it naturally "gives" when you bend it. This gets rid of the woody bit, there should be no need to peel then, but you can trim it if it's thick or a bit older. Have you tried stir fried broccoli with soy sauce? It's lovely. Stir fry in a little oil until quite crispy. You can add just a tiny drop of sesame oil and soy sauce. Addictive!! Also green beans are lovely stir fried lightly with a little sesame oil and garlic. Roast a pile of root veg with just a little oil or low cal spray, the flavour changes completely, very filling and low calorie I add a little cayenne pepper, garlic powder and black pepper (or any other spice that goes with what I'm having with it). Hope this helps a bit
  • LiveFree_OrPie
    LiveFree_OrPie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of roasting veggies, especially root veggies. Chop up some sweet potatoes, turnip, butternut squash, carrots and mix with a little olive oil and some fresh herbs and roast away. Another favorite is roasting mushrooms, shallots, cherry tomatoes, and potatoes together.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) Trying roasted rutabaga and potato tomorrow.
    Really want to try butternut squash since it seems so popular but it'll have to wait for next month's grocery trip :\
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You can peel asparagus? Somehow that thought never occurred to me :\

Yeah the stems with a veggie peeler.
  • Ice_Arrows
    Options
    Haha guess I was having a dumb moment with the peeling :p . Trying it combined with cutting it up next time it goes on sale.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a huge pot of ratatoutille with eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, canned tomatoes and garlic. I seasoned with dried basil, dried thyme and S&P. We'll have enough for a couple days leftovers.

Tonight I roasted a boatload of butternut squash with garlic and earlier this morning I made a crock pot full of red cabbage with apples and pears. It was all so good.
  • eseviour1981
    Options
    Roasted garlic okra, balsamic and honey roasted brussell sprouts, bacon and parmesan brussell sprouts, broccoli stir fried with garlic and ginger...

I would say to find some flavors you like and just play around with them - experiment with your vegetables in terms of how you prepare them (roast, sautee, steam etc), and figure out which combinations work for you personally. I love roasting root vegetables with ground coriander and cumin, whereas I prefer lighter flavors like lemon with green vegetables.