Loosing weight but getting bigger?

Options
MFP has been awesome for making the number on the scale go down and giving me insight into my eating habits. CICO has been the easiest thing in the world to understand and it works like freaking magic.

Since January, I've gone from about 137-121lbs. (It says 12 pounds because I tried a year ago when I was at 130 and didn't stick with it).

But as I've lost weight (consistent and confirmed by more than one scale), I think I've gotten bigger. My clothes fit the same, but I feel bulkier, stomach seems to protrude more, etc.

Is it all in my head? Are the scales wrong? Can anyone else relate?

Replies

• lose_30
    lose_30 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way but I also strength train.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Are you taking measurements? (Sounds like not. Start now.) It may just be your perception.

If it were real, and short term, I'd suspect simple bloating from TOM or a high sodium/carb meal.
    Long term, though, I don't know.
    Maybe you've tightened up some underlying muscle and are now noticing the fat more??
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Are you taking measurements? (Sounds like not. Start now.) It may just be your perception.

If it were real, and short term, I'd suspect simple bloating from TOM or a high sodium/carb meal.
    Long term, though, I don't know.
    Maybe you've tightened up some underlying muscle and are now noticing the fat more??

I took measurements in the beginning of February. No change. I wish I had taken them earlier, but I suspect they would have been the same. 83 cm waist, at the belly button, and 99 cm hips, at the widest point.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    2 pounds per week loss with starting weight at 137? How tall are you? That seems excessive which if wrong would say why your measurements haven't changed much. Measurements can be hard, because a slight shift in the tape can yield different results. But they are valuable. Have you checked your body fat %?

It could definitely just be perception though. I've lost over 40 pounds in the past 2.5 years and still look in the mirror and don't notice that much of a difference. It's why I also use things like "I couldn't do this before and now I can" to gauge my progress.
  • lmhughley89
    Options
    So why is it im working out amd watching my calorie intake but I put on 4lbs im so confused amd discouraged
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Yep! I've lost 7 and still same measurements. But I do feel different in my clothes so maybe its coming off in places I haven't measured like upper thighs or calf.
  • amandastock
    amandastock Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There are a few posts on how many pounds it takes to move down a dress size which I think said 20 if you are heavier and less once you get closer to sizes 10-2
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    2 pounds per week loss with starting weight at 137? How tall are you? That seems excessive which if wrong would say why your measurements haven't changed much. Measurements can be hard, because a slight shift in the tape can yield different results. But they are valuable. Have you checked your body fat %?

It could definitely just be perception though. I've lost over 40 pounds in the past 2.5 years and still look in the mirror and don't notice that much of a difference. It's why I also use things like "I couldn't do this before and now I can" to gauge my progress.

I'm only 5'. I was aiming for 1/2 lb per week. I was alarmed at first at how fast the weight came off. I eat above my allotted calories most days (average 1000 kcals above budget per week), and I think it's slowing down.

I haven't checked fat%. My concern is that the weight I'm losing is muscle and the fat isn't changing and that's why measurements aren't changing either.