Food as coping mechanism

Options
I'm trying to make some progress on my dissertation today. Anything I find stressful is so much more difficult when I can't use food as a coping mechanism. It seems like I would be much more productive if I could just eat a sandwich after every paragraph.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi:
    Congratulations for your commitment to finish your dissertation.
    I am an emotional eater. If I am under stress, I exercise in order to control my urge to eat. I am perfectly aware that I am not hungry.
    I found that running for 15 minutes helps me a lot and gives me new perspective with the stress root cause. Drinking plain water is another coping mechanism.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Maybe instead of having a sandwich at each paragraph, give yourself other rewards that have nothing to do with food. Or stretch out the rewards to every so many pages instead of paragraphs.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I actually wound up doing fine avoiding emotional eating today. I didn't make much progress with my project though. Lol. Eventually, I will find a balance. And the weekend is still young:-)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Right. We still have some weekend left. :D
  • dudeyo
    dudeyo Posts: 4
    Options
    Celebrate every victory! Don't let stress or negativity lead you to food. I'm still working on all the weight I put on from emotional eating, but once you realize you're doing it, it's easier to stop. I personally found a good exercise gets rid of the stress and gives you a high on endorphins.

It helped me curb my emotional eating (some set backs here and there still). I actually now look forward to the gym, hiking, walking, etc.. instead of what's in the cabinet.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of bourbon to finish mine. I don't recommend that either!
  • jscriba0
    jscriba0 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good advice. I'm an emotional eater and gorge when I'm stressed out.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I drank a LOT of bourbon to finish mine. I don't recommend that either!

Haven't tried this :-)