Lupus anyone??

Options
Well I just wanted to see if anyone else out there has lupus like I do?? If so how do you see it affecting you in the whole weight loss and eating and all of that. Do you yo yo weight a lot? Do you have a hard time maintaining? Just trying to see whats the "norm" Thanks!

Replies

• AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi :-)

I don't have lupus but my brother does. His only affects his skin though. He has always been a thin guy (lucky *kitten* LOL) but has never had lupus affect his weight. He was only diagnosed within the past 3 years though.
  • Lorijo50
    Lorijo50 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have lupus but its just part of my autoimmune conditions. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and fibrosis of the lungs brought on by the RA. It makes it very hard to exercise, I get fatigued and out of breath very fast. I am on steroids to keep it all under control and they give me a huge appetite. Its very hard to lose let alone maintain.
  • Teazybabee
    Teazybabee Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't have lupus, but my mother, aunt, and cousin do. I am also a RN. My mother does struggle with her weight. She is on large amounts of Steroids which increase's her appetite. She also has the fatigue which goes along with her systemic lupus flares, as well as some joint soreness from some arthritic problems which has arisen from her lupus. Her lupus has also in the past affected her lungs. Although, increasing her excercise would help her condition and also help her to feel better in the long run, it is actually getting her motivated to get started. The ache's and pains are a road block for her, and I can not get her to realize that it may hurt in the beginning but in the long run will help to diminish some of her symtoms. Good luck with your journey!
  • mzonthego
    mzonthego Posts: 1
    Options
    I have lupus - diagnosed in the early '80's. Early on I was able to exercise pretty regularly because my symptoms were mild and it helped keep the weight down. But a few years down the road and a host of other problems I am no longer able to exercise as I used to. Hopefully you are not on a regimen of meds that includes a high dose of steroids which will keep you eating even when you're not hungry. Just try and do some exercise regularly - even a little is better than none. I have a stationary bike which I ride and when I'm not feeling well sometimes I just sit on it and peddle for a bit at a moderate or slow speed - rest - and then peddle some more. Other days I do some walking - if I'm feeling good and get moving - if not I just take it easy and do fewer laps. I think it helps just to get the blood moving a bit.