Is sugar in fruit as bad as cane sugar?

Options
I want to eat fruit, ideally 3 servings a day, but my sugar intake goes sky high and I go over the limit. I'm torn on whether to eat it or not.

Replies

• rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    the sugar in fruit is balanced out by all the nutrients the fruit has to offer. Just stay under your calories and eat the fruit.
  • dwieferich
    dwieferich Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I want to eat fruit, ideally 3 servings a day, but my sugar intake goes sky high and I go over the limit. I'm torn on whether to eat it or not.

I feel the same way. As hard as I try to be good with fruit my sugar just goes sky high.
  • dwieferich
    dwieferich Posts: 12 Member
    Options

I feel the same way. As hard as I try to be good with fruit my sugar just goes sky high.
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I never count the sugar in fruit. It's packed in a ball of fiber and nutrients. Plus it's natural and generally easier for your body to digest.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Keep 1 or 2 servings of lower sugar fruits such as berries. Up your vegetable intake so that your sugar is lower. Fruit should not be a staple where a person is eating that many servings of fruit everyday. We should be taking in way more vegetables than we are fruit.
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    I always wondered about the sugar in my apples so I googled some stuff and basically There is good sugar which in found in fruits and then there is bad sugar like candy u can have all the fruit u want watermelon and cantalope tend to be lower in cals so I wouldn't worry to much about ur sugar as long as ur not going way over board with it :smile:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I always wondered about the sugar in my apples so I googled some stuff and basically There is good sugar which in found in fruits and then there is bad sugar like candy u can have all the fruit u want watermelon and cantalope tend to be lower in cals so I wouldn't worry to much about ur sugar as long as ur not going way over board with it :smile:

No, you can't have as much as you want. Too much sugar (yes, even in the form of fruit) can lead to high triglycerides, blood sugar swings and leptin resistance and insulin resistance.

I see people all the time that eat fruit but hardly eat vegetables. All you are doing is still feeding the sweet tooth instead of killing the cravings for sugar.

Just because it is natural doesn't mean that fruit is that "healthy" either.............You can get way more bang for your buck nutrient wise eating vegetables and less worry about whether your going to have a blood sugar swings causing hunger with in a couple hours of eating.

Don't get me wrong............Fruit has its place in our eating plans - but not 3,4, 5 or more servings a day. That is an outrageous amount of sugar (fructose).
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different but my body reacts to sugar negatively.

I've cute my fruit servings down to 2 a day...and have cut *way* back on processed sugars and feel a billion times better (not to mention the scale finally moved).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You can definitely gain weight eating too much fruit. Fruit is very good for you but in moderation. Berries are a good choice, like someone said. But veggies are a better bet (the non-starchy kind) with only a couple servings of fruit per day.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. The good thing is, I love vegetables way more than fruit but was thinking about eating fruit because hardly ever eat any, but I think I will not try to increase my fruit intake now that I have a better understanding.