I have a chance to get off Zoloft

Options
I ran out of the medication and I think I may be off the drugs. I May have been depressed initially being off of them. However I am feeling better now. Also when I started taking Zoloft I believe my weight did go up. It is not listed on the prescription as a side effect but I have heard anecdotal stories to agree with me.

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It isn't wise to stop taking Zoloft cold turkey. You need to ease off of it, so please talk to your doctor about doing that.

I took it for two years and yes, my weight shot up, partially due to eating more, but also because it made me sluggish and sleepy. I was napping so often, and I felt awful when I'd wake up. I got almost no activity, much less exercise. I was pretty relieved when I eased off it and the depression wasn't much an issue anymore.
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The thing is I weaned myself off unintentionally.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I binged on carbs (chocolate and cakes) on Zoloft. I was out of control. I had no satiety. Went off Zolofg and the carb cravings decreased remarkably.
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I couldn't read and not post. Please talk to your doctor. You should be able to call the nurse line right now- early on a Sunday! - to discuss your plans. Depression is an illness - not a mind over matter issue. You and your doctor should be putting together the right plan for you. Good luck with everything.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    You feel better because you were taking the medication. That does not mean you can just stop taking it because you feel better.
  • NurseCU
    NurseCU Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Please consult with your provider. Stopping an anti-depressant on your own is never a good idea. Your provider may agree with you weaning off of it, as some people only need to be on them for short times to get through a depressive period, while others need to be on them much longer. Please, call your provider!
  • DrWhoIsYerDad
    DrWhoIsYerDad Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was on zoloft about 17 years ago, my doc was trying different meds, one at a time. I did gain alot back then. I got up to 265, very depressing. I stopped cold turkey, big mistake. I had the best luck with prozac, I didn't have weight gain, but I was also monitoring my food Intake much closer then.