lactose intollerant people (have no clue if spelled right)

Options
Okay, so im lactose intollerant. and I always eat things that have milk and i end up getting sick..

What are some things (food) that you guys eat that would be good for like a 14-15 yr old at school and /home/..

any ideas?

Replies

• cyans1996
    cyans1996 Posts: 63
    Options
    anyinne
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Can't go wrong with fresh fruits and veggies!
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I'm highly lactose intolerant so I decided to go 100% dairy free because I got sick of being sick and hurting. My diary is public if you'd like to look at what I eat!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    fruit and jello
    apple and peanut butter ( or I prefer almond butter)
    chips and salsa
    homemade muffins - either use water or lactaid milk
    Almond milk - I just found this recently and its awesome
    veggies and hummus
    nuts and dried fruit
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i am lactose intollerant as well, i like almond milk or goats milk for a milk substitute. as for foods with milk in them...well, hard to say as you didn't mention anything specific. i would just steer clear of anything with milk in it if you actually feel sick. things like ice cream and yogourt, etc, you can find lactose free versions that are not bad, but i find the lactose free stuff to be too sweet, since the lactose is broken down in these products for you, and lactose essentially breaks down into sugar, but you may enjoy them.
  • tinatime29
    tinatime29 Posts: 35
    Options
    My daughter is also Lactose Intolerance, we just found out about it a year ago. She was always getting sick, mostly at night. We didn't know why, now we know. many people are different. She try's to stay away from things that has Lactose in it. Just check the label before you eat anything. you can also get Lactose free milk and cheese, she really get's sick if she has alot of sugar, maybe you can try to stay away from that too. good luck
  • melham
    melham Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Take Lactaid or a generic (store brand) lactase enzyme pill. Use the 9000mg pills, and don't worry about whether it's "fast acting" or not. I've been lactose intolerant for 15 or more years and have yet to meet a dairy product I can't eat if I take a lactase pill with the first bite!
  • lizzycomp
    lizzycomp Posts: 64
    Options
    So Delicious makes mini ice cream sandwiches (90 calories).... I like Rice Milk and Almond Milk (unsweetened but they make vanilla flavored)...those are good with cereal...try vegan cheeses...also are you allergic to goats milk too? Because Goat Cheeses are good and easier on the belly.
  • sweebeesmom
    sweebeesmom Posts: 148
    Options
    when I was vegan I used to have toffutti cuties in the freezer for snacks (basically tiny ice cream sandwiches). all of tofutti's products are great. cream cheese, sour cream, etc.. there are also a lot of great non-dairy cheeses out there. vegan cheese tend to be sort of weird (cheese flavored, but other than that not really resembling cheese), but non-dairy cheeses with casein (dairy by-product) in them are melty just like the real thing :)

HTH. Obviously fruits and veggies, hummus etc.. are great snacks, but I think when I was 14-15 I'd go for frozen pizza snacks or whatever was easy/tasty :)
  • cyans1996
    Options
    Well i eat like butter, milk tuna sanwiches, chicken pot pie.. etc. potato chips.. stuff like that.. and of corse fruit
  • Thanatos796
    Options
    PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS IT MAY HELP YOU> I have been lactose intollerant for 33 years. Yup basically from day one. and add in irritable bowel syndrome as well. What does that mean. it means if I have dairy I get diarhea, if I am lucky I just get stomach cramps then the iritable bowel thinks it is diarhea and if I get stressed out, same. I have spent alot of time in bathrooms over my 33 years. when I was a baby, I was on goats milk, as regular formula upset me. then as a young child seems I was basically ok for a few years. then when I was around 9 or 10, I started getting diarhea whenever I ate dairy, milk cheese icecream, anything. Mom took me to allergy doctor and voila I am lactose intollerant. So for several years I did without milk, occassionally would make up a lactose free powdered milke available in the late 80's, but it sucked. When I was in high school I started trying dairy again. If I managed it right I was ok. if I had a carton of milk at school I was fine, if I had 2 one day, the next day I better not have one. that sort of thing. Then in the late 90's I went to college and started having trouble again, and I was not having much milk, but was eating cheeseburgers etc. cut out all dairy and still had problems. went to dr and had irritable bowel syndrome. Was told that basically my intestines kinda had my bowels wrapped up and with the upset stomach of the lactose intolerance (the diarhea from that was because my body has trouble breaking down lactose) anyway, when I had lactose, or got stressed, my intestines would squeeze my bowels making my body think I had diarhea.
    ON TO TODAY and Management:
    a small dose of an antidepresent
    3-4 anti-diarhea pills
    daily and O am usually ok, as long as I don't overdo it. if I have some pizza or a cheeseburger I am usually ok, but regular milk or icecream etc is right out.
    Alternatives
    lactose free or almond breeze milk
    Breyers Lactose free icecream
    Smart beat Lactose free cheese
    veggie slices

P.S. Lactose intolerance runs in my family, but only my cousin has ever had any help from the enzyme pills.
  • cyans1996
    Options
    PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS IT MAY HELP YOU> I have been lactose intollerant for 33 years. Yup basically from day one. and add in irritable bowel syndrome as well. What does that mean. it means if I have dairy I get diarhea, if I am lucky I just get stomach cramps then the iritable bowel thinks it is diarhea and if I get stressed out, same. I have spent alot of time in bathrooms over my 33 years. when I was a baby, I was on goats milk, as regular formula upset me. then as a young child seems I was basically ok for a few years. then when I was around 9 or 10, I started getting diarhea whenever I ate dairy, milk cheese icecream, anything. Mom took me to allergy doctor and voila I am lactose intollerant. So for several years I did without milk, occassionally would make up a lactose free powdered milke available in the late 80's, but it sucked. When I was in high school I started trying dairy again. If I managed it right I was ok. if I had a carton of milk at school I was fine, if I had 2 one day, the next day I better not have one. that sort of thing. Then in the late 90's I went to college and started having trouble again, and I was not having much milk, but was eating cheeseburgers etc. cut out all dairy and still had problems. went to dr and had irritable bowel syndrome. Was told that basically my intestines kinda had my bowels wrapped up and with the upset stomach of the lactose intolerance (the diarhea from that was because my body has trouble breaking down lactose) anyway, when I had lactose, or got stressed, my intestines would squeeze my bowels making my body think I had diarhea.
    ON TO TODAY and Management:
    a small dose of an antidepresent
    3-4 anti-diarhea pills
    daily and O am usually ok, as long as I don't overdo it. if I have some pizza or a cheeseburger I am usually ok, but regular milk or icecream etc is right out.
    Alternatives
    lactose free or almond breeze milk
    Breyers Lactose free icecream
    Smart beat Lactose free cheese
    veggie slices

P.S. Lactose intolerance runs in my family, but only my cousin has ever had any help from the enzyme pills.

Thanks!!! sooooo MUCH!