Weigh in

Options
When is the best or most acruate time to weigh oneself? I've noticed throughout the day my weight flucuates one to three pounds. (Which can be so discouraging)

Replies

• turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I believe it's best and more recommended than not to pick a day and time of day for a weekly weigh-in. Weigh yourself the same time each week and in the same manner - clothed, unclothed - but if clothed, wear the same clothing each time. As an example - my day and time is first thing Sunday morning. I hop on the scale naked, do my measurements and record it all. You're right - weight can fluctuate from minute to minute and day to day. I found it's best to avoid mid-week weigh-ins to avoid those frustrations. Sometimes, it's difficult as we're so anxious to see the scale move downward. When I haven't seen the scale move as I had thought or hoped it would - I've seen downward movement in my measurements. It's not just the number on the scale, but how you feel, how your clothing fits and knowing you're doing the best you can to be healthier and stronger. Hope this helps.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning, after using the bathroom and before eating or drinking anything. How frequently you do it after that, whether daily, weekly, monthly, or when a blue moon occurs, is up to you.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    in the morning after you use the bathroom but before you eat/drink anything. You can record your weight daily at that same time to find the most common day you are at your lowest (for me its usually mid-week)
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Like Turtle, I weigh myself first thing in the morning, once a week and buck naked. I also make sure I use the toilet first. It's also a good thing to keep in mind how much water you drank the day before (more=better) and how much sodium you got the day or two before (less=better). Also for women, there will probably be a time once a month where your weight goes up or stays the same even if you've been strict that week. Sigh, stock up on pads, and weigh yourself again next week. ;)
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, first thing after I go to the bathroom and before my first cup of coffee. I don't mind seeing the daily fluctuations; they keep me motivated.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning too...at least 3 days a week. I record it in MFP twice a week...I think weighing daily helps you figure out what foods make you retain water. For me, I keep my salt down and don't have beef the day before an official weigh in.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I'm currently weighing daily (first thing in the morning) to see if there's a real trend for when I weigh lighter/heavier throughout the week. This isn't going to be 100% accurate anyway, but so far Tuesdays seem to be the day when I see a change one way or the other. I will probably end up weighing 3ish times a week, then just recording Tuesday's number if this trend keeps up.

~Lyssa