Sizing

Options
I've lost 45 lbs and still no jeans size change am I losing muscle? If so how do u change this

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's not all muscle, but likely some because your protein intake is quite small. You need to up that to about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass per day.

You'll need to start resistance training as well if you haven't already.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just realized you're not eating nearly enough calories either, you are eating between 500-1000 on average?! That's definitely going to cause some muscle loss.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Where do you carry most of your weight? What parts of your body are you losing weight from?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You will lose muscle in a deficit if you don't do some sort of strength training. You should also not net below 1200 calories, as recommended by most health care professionals.

As for the jean size - how tall are you and what was your starting weight? You can't choose where you lose weight from. Some people lose from all over. I lost mainly in my shoulder/chest area before starting to lose in my hips and thighs. I'm 5'8 and started at 228 (size 16/18 jeans) and 2.5 years later am at 188 (size 12 jeans). Only recently was able to get into those 12's though.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're eating less than 1000 calories a day? YES, you are losing muscle. I would be a little more concerned with getting help for your eating disorder. I'll just leave this here..http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40lbs and I'm wearing the same size jeans as before. It is a whole lot easier to put them on, but they are the same size.
  • kathrynrf89
    kathrynrf89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have to measured your inches all over your body? You might just be loosing fat in other places, too. Measure yourself once a month and you will see where the loss is happening.

Also, I would recommend upping your calorie intake a little. If your not comfortable with that, or think you won't still loose, go talk to a dietitian about what the right balance for you would be. It might help.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the help and I guess I never realized how little I net in calories. My starting weight 240 and most of my weight has come from my but and boobs and a little from my stomach and I do strength training 2-3 times a week
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First, the range between sizes increases as the size goes up. It took me around 6 months to go from size 16 to size 12, but it's taken me only about 2 months to go from 12 to 8. Besides that, women's sizing varies from store to store. Don't sweat those numbers.

Second, and more importantly, you are not eating enough. 1200 calories a day is difficult for anyone to maintain, and some would say that no one should be eating so little, even people aiming for fairly aggressive weight loss. You're netting under 1000 calories a day on most days. Please examine your relationship with food and your body. Eating far too little is no more an accomplishment than eating far too much.

How fast have you lost the 45 pounds? I only ask because I glanced back through your diary and it looks like you weren't even logging in December. Have you lost 45 pounds since January?

You are most assuredly losing muscle mass, and your body is going to suffer for it. Strength training a few days a week is not counteracting the fact that your body is barely getting enough fuel for its normal daily functions.
  • Mandi98U
    Mandi98U Posts: 115 Member
    Options

emilyesq wrote: »
    First, the range between sizes increases as the size goes up. It took me around 6 months to go from size 16 to size 12, but it's taken me only about 2 months to go from 12 to 8. Besides that, women's sizing varies from store to store. Don't sweat those numbers.
    How fast have you lost the 45 pounds? I only ask because I glanced back through your diary and it looks like you weren't even logging in December. Have you lost 45 pounds since January

Thanks and yes it has been since January but my family told me that it's a normal weight loss rate since I was so big. I don't expect to keep losing at that rate though.
  • Ginaaa71
    Ginaaa71 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is relevant to you but I have noticed that the more expensive the clothing, the larger or more generous they are with the size. A size 16 at say walmart can be a 14 at Dillard's
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    160wannab wrote: »
    How fast have you lost the 45 pounds? I only ask because I glanced back through your diary and it looks like you weren't even logging in December. Have you lost 45 pounds since January

Thanks and yes it has been since January but my family told me that it's a normal weight loss rate since I was so big. I don't expect to keep losing at that rate though.

45 pounds in less than 3 months is very unhealthy. Please go see a doctor.
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    160wannab wrote: »

45 pounds in less than 3 months is very unhealthy. Please go see a doctor.

Seriously, this averages out to something like 5 pounds a week. OP, you're really, really not eating enough. The fact that you just made another thread stating that you'd be okay with eating 1150 calories a day according to MFP's broken calorie goals, that's a huge red flag. Please, please eat more. See a dietician, and don't listen to your family. They're not authorities on weight loss.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what's been offered above. Also consider the sustainability of your current eating habits. If you continue eating this way and hit your target weight - can you sustain/maintain it long term? I'm concerned for you.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Another ditto for everything above. Please take care of yourself!

But also: If you've only been going by the clothes you already own, go shopping. Our clothes stretch out with wear and you might be surprised if you try on something in a shop. (And if not, I agree that the larger sizes have way more difference before you can switch up or down, and that sizing varies greatly based on cut, brand, fabric, etc.)