Carbs/Fat/Protein daily intake ?

Options
Hey everybody,
Does anyone know how many do we need daily from the following:

Carbs
Fat
Protein

I know if you want to build muscle you need lots of protein, but what if you want to get skinny :)

Thanks,
Dia

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person... I lose better when I get my protein above 100g/day and keep my carbs under 200g/day... you kind of have to play around with it until you find what works for you!
  • Larode
    Larode Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    When you set up your account, it will ask you your goal weight, your activity level, and how fast you want to lose. Then it will calculate what you need. I think the protein is a bit low but the rest is okay. Go in and play around with the settings...
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I increased my protein because I always follow my work-outs with some sort of dairy/protein to rebuild damaged muscle tissue. Not to mention, the protein helps sustain my blood sugar. I went into my settings and decreased my carbs (because I don't eat a lot of starch or grains), increased my fiber (it low-balls you on this - fiber is SO beneficial for weight loss, you should be getting between 25-35g/day) and increased my protein.

Also, for weight loss, especially with exercise, make sure you're getting all of your vitamins and minerals. I take Nature Made Multi for Her with Iron and Calcium. Micro- and macro-nutrient deficits can impact your body's ability to lose weight. Calcium for bones, Iron for blood, B vitamins for energy...the list goes on. Do a little research after tracking what your intake is and find a vitamin that fills in where you fall short. That should help you a lot too.
  • beelouise5
    beelouise5 Posts: 19
    Options
    Hey! Use the site- it will calculate it all for you! Otherwise, you convert your weight to kg (divide lbs by 2.2). The average person needs 0.8 g protein/kg body weight. For fat, you need 30% of your daily calories or less to come from fat. Carbs are usually around 50-60% of your daily calories.

The good news is your body has the same macronutrient needs, whether you have weight loss or muscle building goals. They are one in the same...by meeting your calorie goals, you will lose weight, and by making sure you meet your daily protein needs and doing weight bearing exercises, you will continue to preserve and build lean muscle mass (which increases your metabolism, and helps you become leaner in the long run!)
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I agree with previous poster that MFP lowballs protien. I think I adjusted my settings to 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protien. I have a hard time meeting the carb requirements; if I eat over 50% carbs I am typically hungrier all day and tend to go over my calories.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump, curious
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I am set at 35% prot. 35% carbs and 30% fat
  • DustinReiner
    DustinReiner Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Dia82kiss,

That is actually up to interpretation, sorry it’s not an exact science. As everyone’s goals are different, their bodies needs are different to.

Personally I eat a high protein diet and a relative low carbohydrate diet. I try to lift weights and want to build “some” muscles, so thus the protein. Again that’s what I do, you probably have a much different goal. Which is what makes us human and different.

Over the years I’ve done a lot of research on the topic. (You can read my bio if you would like to find out the reason I’m here if you want, or not.)

You’re going to have to figure out what your goals are as well as what works for you. This message board is good for some tips and sharing what works.

I use a “About.com” to do a lot of my research, especially for my workout and diet.

Diet information
    http://exercise.about.com/sitesearch.htm?q=What+is+a+proper+diet?&SUName=exercise

Carbohydrate information.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/lowcarb.htm

Protein information.
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/protein.htm

Good luck in your goals!!

4822665.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump