Swimming Workout

Options
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good swim workout? I am wanting to add it to my weekly workout routine. I don't even know where to start. How long is a solid swim workout...30 min and hour? If its just a matter of swimming laps then so be it but I am looking for any ideas for a beginner. thanks!!

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    How much of a beginner are you? There is a "0 to 1650" (yards; 1500m) program that is the equivalent of C25K for someone who knows at least basic stroke technique. That's where I would start. Then there are some good sites online with workouts in the 1500-sky's the limit range.

If you have the opportunity, it can't hurt to schedule a private session with a coach or trainer to show you some stroke pointers. Swim is much, MUCH more technical than e.g. running or cycling and a little bit of instruction can go a long way.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    There are definitely workouts you can do. You can switch up the stroke, do easy laps or sprint laps, etc. Google them. And I agree with the instruction.....I have always been able to swim, but when I signed up for a triathlon, it became apparent I needed some instruction on stroke, etc. Made a WORLD of difference on how my swim workouts went.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    In University I used to swim a kilometre with a friend who swam a mile. Both are decent workouts

But before you pick a work out plan what are your goals? Perhaps a triathalon? Or just fitness?

Is there a master's swim club? They have great workouts.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you are truly a beginner then getting some instruction first is key. I used to lifeguard and I see so many people go for swims and don't go as fast as they want simply because their technique is off. If you really want to use swimming as a source of exercise, then please do ensure you know the strokes, and are comfortable with the technique involved. This will help to get the most out of your workout.

With swimming, I like to continuously mix up my strokes, and do some lengths arms, or legs only. For starting out though (assuming you know how to swim well but just aren't used to doing laps), I'd suggest trying 1 length a quick, full stroke (front or back), and then 3 resting stroke (like breast). Or do 1 and then 5-6 resting stroke. Then build up your time, and slowly do less resting, and more front or back.
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    It irritates me that that app is not available in the US!
  • cytomom123
    cytomom123 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    All good ideas above; our local YMCA has a masterclass in swimming. But how do you calculate calories burned? Google it and enter what the researched link says? Must be an average though if you are out of shape vs a triathlete...
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above but, mostly, jump in the water and start to move. Any time you are pulling your weight through the water you are helping your muscles, and learning good technique can be an ongoing process. I still have shoulder rotation problems so I have issues with the forward and backward crawl, but I do use the breast stroke and side stroke to vary it up.

I started swimming for 30 minutes, then increased gradually to an hour, then worked on increasing the number of laps in that hour, which I am still doing.
  • turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All great suggestions for you. I'm a newbie swimmer - just started in January. Took lessons to learn breathing and stroke technique as I wanted to use swimming for exercise. I wasn't able to even do one length in the lap pool via freestyle at first, but have continued to practice and include breast stroke, back stroke and water jogging to mix it up - making up my own drills. When I can't get into the lap pool (if it's full), I shift my workout to the exercise pool and do laps across that pool mixing it up. This has helped with my endurance and my breathing and I get an excellent workout there too. I've worked up from struggling to do 30 minutes to now I'm doing 75 minutes 4 x week. I love it - I can do so much more in the water than on land. Occasionally I take a water aerobics class for something different. Good luck and get wet!! :)
  • rialynn06
    rialynn06 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I can swim easily for about 45 min. I am looking to swim on days I'm not running/lifting to give my knees a rest. Unfortunately there are not master classes or any classes for that matter. I live in the middle of no where. So I will be you tubing any stroke I need to learn :( I'm looking more for a good structured (and simple) swim workout like @LovingLife_Erin‌ suggested. Thanks again everyone.
  • katbiscuit
    katbiscuit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My friend and I swim laps together - she uses a waterproof mp3 player with music of differing beats to keep her momentum going. She also alternates laps with kickboards and flippers to concentrate on differing areas.