Have to start somewhere- hi everybody!

Options
Hi, everyone. Like many people, I'm coming here after a string of weight loss failures. I MUST do it this time! 2 babies behind me which led to lots of extra weight- need to lose 100 lbs! The weight keeps coming on even though I have been trying to eat healthy. I think perhaps it's stress, lack of sleep, and portion control. Anyway, I'm going to start again today- I calculated the BMR sedentary-20 percent, and looks like I will get 1981 calories a day. Any suggestions on how to divide that up during the day between meals and snacks? Not sure what each meal/snack should be worth. Also going to start rebounding daily as I love that form of excercise! Anyway, nice to meet you all- I am excited to be looking to all of you for inspiration! We can do this!

Replies

• mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a grazer so I eat 6 small meals a day. My main meals have a few more calories, my in between meals are about 200 calories. That's what works for me you may be different. I plan my meals on Sunday like bake chicken tenders or breast, boil some eggs, cup up and wash my veggies, fry up some peppers & onions, bake apples with just cinnamon the sugar will come out of the apple no butter, & cube sweet potatoes; I'll bake those one night for dinner. If I do all that I usually have an awesome week. Sometimes I'll even cook brown rice, this make lunches easy to fix, chicken for my salads or chicken & rice w/ onions &peppers. Just plan & be prepared for quick meals sometimes that's when the boiled eggs come in handy.
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we are in a simialar boat. I'm a little older than yo, or maybe a lot, and everything you said falls in my wheelhouse. Would love to be friends and we can get this together together. I try to keep my meals between 4 and 5 hundred and snacks under 200.
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I have lost 55 lbs. and have 90 to go. As a busy mom myself, I have been doing vegie prep when I get home from the grocery store. I peel everything, cut everything up, and pop it in Tupperware containers in the fridge. That way I can eat them as a snack raw or throw them in stir fry or the steamer for supper. It saves a lot of time and makes it an easy choice to use them. I also weigh everything on a kitchen scale. It takes a little getting used to, but soon is just a part of meal prep. It has made a big difference in my weight loss. I have learned a lot about portions sizes.

• drlady99
    drlady99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks to you both for replying and for your great ideas! Good prepping should really help, as I have 2 little ones and work full time and don't have time during the week to take care of myself. Good luck to both of you- we can do this!!!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    that was my saying 2 years ago and 100 pounds ago. it can happen. I started walking and eating less. bought a digital food scale, weighed everything. lost 50 pounds, started running and strength training. continued weighing everything, lost more. Read a lot, found new recipes, kept at it. if I give into the cake, pizza, beer, whatever and don't have room for it for the day, i don't beat myself and quit, I carry on the next day, because one bad meal/day/week/month, doesn't ruin all my progress.
  • kimmyps
    kimmyps Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I am starting back up (again) today. I have fibro, so sometimes i get myself in a mode (not good). This time i am join these community groups to hopefully keep me going when i wonder why even bother. Excited to hear everyones stories and successes!!
  • Dancinft
    Dancinft Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi!
    I have lost 55 lbs. and have 90 to go. As a busy mom myself, I have been doing vegie prep when I get home from the grocery store. I peel everything, cut everything up, and pop it in Tupperware containers in the fridge. That way I can eat them as a snack raw or throw them in stir fry or the steamer for supper. It saves a lot of time and makes it an easy choice to use them. I also weigh everything on a kitchen scale. It takes a little getting used to, but soon is just a part of meal prep. It has made a big difference in my weight loss. I have learned a lot about portions sizes.
    Hi, congrats on the 55 pounds you've lost. Keep up the good work. Are you also exercising? I need to lose 50 lbs and I'm starting TODAY. Not a fan of exercise but I'm gonna start with walking. I know portion control is big. Gotta add more veggies in. I wish you continued success!
  • Bantallar
    Options
    Great stories! I saw some of my friends on Facebook who got motivated and lost a ton of weight (one is currently down 86lbs) so it motivated me to get moving. I asked them what they were doing to succeed and that led me here and to a fit bit. I was 330 lbs and unhappy with my ability to play with my 3yo niece. I'd get tired and winded quickly. Throw my asthma in the mix and I wasn't a very fun uncle. Since I started a few short months ago I've lost 26lbs by just eating better. I'll be adding exercise into my routine shortly and kicking off my new, healthier, lifestyle. I'm excited to check myself out in a mirror in about a year :)
  • mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hi, congrats on the 55 pounds you've lost. Keep up the good work. Are you also exercising? I need to lose 50 lbs and I'm starting TODAY. Not a fan of exercise but I'm gonna start with walking. I know portion control is big. Gotta add more veggies in. I wish you continued success!
    [/quote]

I started out walking around my kitchen 30 minutes a day (it is cold up here in MN at this time of year). Then I started working out with Wii fit and that is a lot of fun. I got a set of adjustable dumbbells and a yoga ball and now I am doing some strength training. I was really out of shape, but each week gets easier and I get a little stronger. :)
  • drlady99
    drlady99 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow- this was my first post on here and I am already excited at the level of community and support- you are all fabulous! These stories of success really help us newbies! Years ago I lost 60 pounds on weight watchers, but of course it came back on and more of it. I've got to really find a way to make this part of my life so that I can be healthier for my kids. Just in case anyone is interested in a different form of excercise, I recently started rebounding on a small trampoline at home and have found that I absolutely love it! It's great excercise but also much more fun than other kinds I've done. I can just turn on a show and start bouncing or walking in place, and so far I really enjoy it. I'm hoping that 20-30 minutes a day (after taking breaks and such) will at least get me moving and on the path to better fitness. Good luck to each of you on your journeys!
  • kmorales_4
    kmorales_4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    drlady99 wrote: »
    Wow- this was my first post on here and I am already excited at the level of community and support- you are all fabulous! These stories of success really help us newbies! Years ago I lost 60 pounds on weight watchers, but of course it came back on and more of it. I've got to really find a way to make this part of my life so that I can be healthier for my kids. Just in case anyone is interested in a different form of excercise, I recently started rebounding on a small trampoline at home and have found that I absolutely love it! It's great excercise but also much more fun than other kinds I've done. I can just turn on a show and start bouncing or walking in place, and so far I really enjoy it. I'm hoping that 20-30 minutes a day (after taking breaks and such) will at least get me moving and on the path to better fitness. Good luck to each of you on your journeys!

Welcome. This is a great community for those of us that have tried everything under the sun to lose weight. There are so many nice people that are willing to help you stay focused and motivated. Please don't be shy and add away. :smile: