After doing a 5k

Options
I jogged part of it, but mostly walked, as it was my first one, and I am not exactly in the best of shape. I had a question about afterwards. I kind of had a metallic taste in my throat when I coughed, although there was no blood, but I was wondering if this had happened to anyone else, and why it would happen.

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Well done on the 5K! It's great that you did it. Running takes time and you'll get better as you get miles on your feet.

As for the metallic taste, that could be acid reflux. That can affect people by leaving a metallic taste in the mouth, rather than a burn in the stomach/throat area.
  • hlee_pdx
    hlee_pdx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have had that before off and on for a few years when running 5ks (also off and on). I am still alive to tell of it, so hopefully not a huge deal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've often experienced this after doing a fitness test that was meant to put you at max effort (I've had to do the test a number of times). I assumed it had to do with that but don't know the reason why.
  • Glytcher
    Glytcher Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was worried it was something serious, but it might just be from pushing myself. Not sure if it's acid reflux, as it only tasted that way when I was coughing a bit afterward. I've never had acid reflux though.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    It can happen for a variety of reasons. Most of which sound very scary but aren't. Was it cold and dry for the 5k? Sucking in cold dry air can cause cracks in your nose and throat. Sometimes intense exercise puts more pressure on the lungs, and red blood cells to leak into air sacks (gah!), and you end up with the metallic taste (again, sounds awful but is short lived and not serious). Sometimes its because you have small stones in your salivary ducts (much like kidney stones) and increased physical activity leads to increased saliva production, and then the blocked duct gives off a metallic taste.
  • Glytcher
    Options
    It was kind of cold yesterday when we did the 5k. It started off around 38 degrees and went up to 56ish by the time we finished.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Glytcher wrote: »
    It was kind of cold yesterday when we did the 5k. It started off around 38 degrees and went up to 56ish by the time we finished.

I notice it more when it's cold... Usually happens when I'm snotty or congested. I wouldn't worry. :smile: Congrats on your 5K!
  • Glytcher
    Options
    Thanks!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Not unusual after an anaerobic effort in cold weather. Nothing to worry about. Run on. :smile: