Strength training vs cardio

Options
Has anyone had any success doing more strength training than cardio to lose weight? I was curious about trying it but wanted to know what he results are like.

Currently I do 6 days a week, 1 hour vigorous cardio. Would I see better, faster results if I did 4 strength training sessions per week and two cardio?

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what helps you lose weight.

How much you can lose without losing lbm is dependant on how lean you already are. The less you have to lose, the slower you've got to lose it, I'm afraid...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight doing very little cardio. I'm happy with the results as I've maintained a great deal of lean body mass, and feel I look smaller than the weight on the scale.

As I'm trying to get these last few pounds off, I find I have to be a little more careful to get my cardio in, as the deficit is small and I am clearly making some errors. The cardio helps pad the deficit now.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

How much you can lose without losing lbm is dependant on how lean you already are. The less you have to lose, the slower you've got to lose it, I'm afraid...
    I have about 20 to lose. Cardio burns more calories which is why it's always been my preference.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    . Would I see better, faster results if I did 4 strength training sessions per week and two cardio?

Better and faster aren't the same thing for weight loss - in fact in some instances they may be opposites.
    Your rate of loss is down to your calorie deficit, your results in term of fitness, strength and muscle retention will be influenced by your choice of exercise.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

I have about 20 to lose. Cardio burns more calories which is why it's always been my preference.

Ah, I see.

Well, some people do find it hard to maintain a deficit without some form of regular cardio.

Strength training burns relatively few calories. The half-way point, stuff like complexes, circuit training can be progressively overloaded and provide more in the way of calorie burns whilst advancing strength and muscular endurance (albeit at a slower rate than vanilla strength training).

Some people just strength train and maintain the necessary deficit through diet.

Some people strength train 3x a week and do cardio on their off days.

There's many ways to play it. You need to find a way that you can stick with over a long enough period.

Any method that you won't stick with will yield inferior results
  • BeaBizzy
    BeaBizzy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21 lbs doing just aerobic walking and elliptical.

Still have 25 lbs to go and in the last 9 weeks have not noticed a need to change my exercise. I do keep calories out/burned more than calories in/consumed.

My weight loss is motivated by cholestrol issues, not by a need for a swim suit body. So long as the weight keeps comming off I will stick with aerobic cardio exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Ah, I see.

Well, some people do find it hard to maintain a deficit without some form of regular cardio.

Strength training burns relatively few calories. The half-way point, stuff like complexes, circuit training can be progressively overloaded and provide more in the way of calorie burns whilst advancing strength and muscular endurance (albeit at a slower rate than vanilla strength training).

Some people just strength train and maintain the necessary deficit through diet.

There's many ways to play it. You need to find a way that you can stick with over a long enough period.

^^This. You like cardio and you're going to keep it up, fine. Add in weight training of course to help with maintaining LBM.

I am never ever going to do more than 2 hours of week of cardio. So I'm not going to force myself to do more to lose these last 5 pounds when I can take care of it with my deficit.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Ah, I see.

Perfect response. I switch up my routine and do the things I like doing, but I always keep strength training of some sort in my routine to retain my muscle mass. Keep it fun and you'll stick to it and that is what matters in the long run.
  • Terpnista84
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think for my goal I need to do more strength training, as looking fit is more important than a number on a scale. My ideal body type is Misty Copeland- I want well defined muscles, not just to be a smaller version of my current self.

The challenge is maintaining a large enough deficit when my cardio is being replaced with strength training.

My calorie goal is no more than 1,600 regardless of how much I exercise. I'm going to do 3 days of strength training for 75-90 mins, two days of HIIT cardio for 30 mins and one day of cardio and strength mixed. I'm also doing the 30 day shred.
  • Tanyae123
    Tanyae123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to just lose the weight then cardio is fine provided you are eating a well balanced diet. Remembering that for every pound you need to lose you need a deficit of 3500 cals.

However, if you want to slim down and have a toned, muscular body then I would definitely start strength training! I do 5/6 days a week in the gym doing 1 day legs, 1 day arms and stomach and 1 day full body which is half cardio (sprints and cross trainer) and then an outdoor 2 mile run. I then have a rest day and repeat.

I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight just shred but the results are so much better than doing just cardio! And I find weight training more enjoyable, but that may just be me!
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    Tanyae123 wrote: »
    Hi,
    It really depends on what your goals are. If you want to just lose the weight then cardio is fine provided you are eating a well balanced diet. Remembering that for every pound you need to lose you need a deficit of 3500 cals.

However, if you want to slim down and have a toned, muscular body then I would definitely start strength training! I do 5/6 days a week in the gym doing 1 day legs, 1 day arms and stomach and 1 day full body which is half cardio (sprints and cross trainer) and then an outdoor 2 mile run. I then have a rest day and repeat.

I'm not trying to lose a lot of weight just shred but the results are so much better than doing just cardio! And I find weight training more enjoyable, but that may just be me!

Thank you! Cardio is very boring and I made great progress last year when I was doing great weights bit I didn't get the desired results I wanted because I didn't stick with it. Running has really killed my ankle and my appetite is so ravenous afterwards.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

My calorie goal is no more than 1,600 regardless of how much I exercise. I'm going to do 3 days of strength training for 75-90 mins, two days of HIIT cardio for 30 mins and one day of cardio and strength mixed. I'm also doing the 30 day shred.

75 - 90 mins of strength training is a lot and suggests you may not be on a very structured or optimal program.
    Doing HIIT on days you should be recovering from your strength workout is a very tough ask when you are in a calorie deficit.

Overall you are trying to do a very large volume of training without much rest or recovery time when you body is less able to sustain it because of the calorie deficit.
    Watch out for signs of fatigue and burnout.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

75 - 90 mins of strength training is a lot and suggests you may not be on a very structured or optimal program.
    Doing HIIT on days you should be recovering from your strength workout is a very tough ask when you are in a calorie deficit.

Overall you are trying to do a very large volume of training without much rest or recovery time when you body is less able to sustain it because of the calorie deficit.

Good tips I'll scale it back.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Good tips I'll scale it back.

For strength training. Try to do only compound movements like Pushups, pullups, deadlifts, bent-over rows, squats, military press.

Actually, those exercises listed are probably all you'll ever need unless you want to enter some competitions. Compounds exercises will reduce your training time to 30-45 minutes, and will probably give you the best results.
  • Terpnista84
    Options
    I'm going to try 40 mins of strength with 20 mins of HIIT cardio for 5 days, alternating leg and arm days.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I lost almost 70 pounds without doing true cardio - I walk 2 miles 4-5 days a week but other than a couple of small hills, I really don't get my heart rate up. I walk because I enjoy it and it gives my husband and I some time together.

I started resistance training when I had lost 35 pounds, and have stayed pretty consistent with lifting 3 days a week for the last 2 1/2 years. I followed the All Pro's program for quite some time, and now do a program designed by a personal trainer.

My only regret is not lifting weights sooner.

Edited to add: Weight loss comes down to maintaining a calorie deficit. However you achieve that is up to you.
  • lynndot1
    lynndot1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio, for exercise. I love tennis and I love taking the dog on long walks...but that isn't exercise to me, that's for fun. Cardio for fitness means only? I hate it, haha. I much prefer weight training.

My advice would be to stick with something you enjoy, as other people have said. I lift three times a week and then on my rest days if I feel motivated I'll go for a short run, 15-20 minutes usually.

If I was really having a hard time with my calorie deficit, I'd do more cardio. But to me eating a little less is less of a pain than doing long cardio sessions.

Just whatever you do don't overtrain yourself. Being a little sore (or a lot sore some days) is fine, but if you're too exhausted to function and can't seem to recover day to day then cut back on what you're doing. I do Mon/Wed/Fri at the gym doing Upper/Lower/Upper then the next week switch to Lower/Upper/Lower, etc, so everything gets trained roughly twice per week.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I think for my goal I need to do more strength training, as looking fit is more important than a number on a scale. My ideal body type is Misty Copeland- I want well defined muscles, not just to be a smaller version of my current self.

The challenge is maintaining a large enough deficit when my cardio is being replaced with strength training.

post-30824-Jack-Nicholson-Creepy-Nodding-t5bI.gif
  • berz82
    berz82 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    cardio is overrated i must say when i was doing insanity before i started the gym i did shed alot of fat but its good to just use it as a tool now and then and lift more at the gym. when your lifting you dont need much cardio at all. (dont chase two rabbits or you will lose them both)
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have found that I'm getting better results since I switched up from 4-5 days cardio and little strength training TO 5-6 days of 3 days 30min strength training (push upper/leg abs/pull upper) followed by 30 mins of HIIT cardio and other days straight cardio to keep moving but allow recovery.
    I was so hesitate to do away with all those cardio mins but I added a day to my week. I feel so strong now after doing all this strength training.
    Funny but since it's so cold here in Boston I haven't worn shorts forever, but this morning I threw some on to do house cleaning, my husband stopped me and pointed out all my muscles and definition I had!! I still have 40 lbs to lose but wow those muscles are there!!
    I've actually added more calories each day to eat, good calories, my scale has slowed down but I feel my body getting stronger.
    I also wore a belt last night and got to skip 2 more holes to make it fit better.
    The scale shouldn't be our own judge of success. How we feel and how our clothes fit! Wow I finialy get it!
    Anyway... Add the strength training!!! You won't regret it.