Derby

Options
Hello everyone! I am trying to get in shape for my upcoming roller derby season, any advice?

Replies

• my8891
    my8891 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Are you new to the sport or just prepping for the next season in your derby career? Either way, awesome!

Work on both on- and off-skate drills. Off-skates includes running (build up endurance), high-knees, butt-kicks, side shuffling, grapevines, agility ladders, and various strength training exercises (squatting in derby stance, forward and backwards lunges with weights, Russian twists, planks, push-ups, etc).

On-skates, work on your skate form (keeping derby stance, staying low in your power box), crossover form (to get the max push with both legs), as well as basic skills needed for the sport (transitions, mohawking, plows, tomahawk stops, jumps, speed changes, backwards skating, safe falls, etc.). If you are at a bout-safe level already, practice your body checks (both on and off skates), juking, and if you have others to practice with, work on building strong, effective walls (even if you usually just jam). Watch high-level bouts (YouTube has a plethora of championship bouts from WFTDA tournaments), and familiarize yourself with rules and ref signals.

Push yourself (in a safe manner), eat well, keep training, and be sure to give your muscles time to recover!
  • lauren4630
    Options
    Hello!

I am just prepping for the upcoming season. I will be jamming more so I NEED to have more endurance lol
  • lauren4630
    lauren4630 Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How long have you been playing derby?