I don't trust my scale

Options
So I used to weight myself after I worked out at the gym. The gym had a digital scale and things were good.

Then the gym got rid of that scale and replaced it with the old fashion doctors office kind. I hate those because I never think I'm reading them accurately and I like to know how much I've lost down the the ounce. lol.

So I bought a cheep scale at target, but I think it lies to me! The (analog?) scale at the gym always tells me I weigh around 5 pounds more.

So who do I trust?

Replies

• Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say, but pick one and go by that one. Forget about comparing them all the time.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Just pick one scale and use it as a refernce. The balance beam scale from the gym (if it has been maintained) is likely to be more accurate; but you are really more concerned about consistancy of the measure.
  • KLaurean
    KLaurean Posts: 112
    Options
    every scale will vary with your weight.
    I would start faithfully using one scale (probably the one in your home since you are able to read it better)
  • melindaw1977
    Options
    I think those scales (the dr. kind) are pretty accurate. Our scale (digital) usually was within a few oz. of the scale at the drs. office.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I think they all lie! There's no WAY that I weigh what I do! :laugh:

Just kidding -- I would stick to one scale and measure consistently at the same time. What you're concerned with is overall direction and trend -- not necessarily a single number.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Your story sounds sooo much like mine! lol.

Our gym had a digital scale and it was the ONLY scale I used for the last year. Well, a few months ago it started disappearing from the room where it is kept. We figured it needed new batteries and that was why it was gone. Well, one day it disappeared and never returned.. it its place is some new digital scale that is confusing to use and gives me an "error" half the time. Plus, it was NEVER consistent like the old one was - this one would say 155lbs, I'd step off and step back on and it would say 148lbs. I got very frustrated with it giving me all different readings and bought my own scale. It is a cheap ($8) analog one -- I use it on the same floor, in the same spot -- everyday. It is different than the new gym one, but the same as the old gym one.

I've heard digital scales are the least reliable, then analogs and then dr scales.
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Go with the one at home...This way you can weigh in neked after peeing in the am :flowerforyou:
  • RCMILLER2
    RCMILLER2 Posts: 38
    Options
    pick one and stick with it, otherwise it will drive you mad comparing different scales.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Just stick with one scale! Every scale I step on says something different, so I just stick with the one at home! I would go crazy if I was also worrying about what every other scale says.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My mom's scale is 5-7 more than my scale and she says her weight is the same at the doctor's office as it is on her scale. I just go by what mine says b/c that is the one I got my starting weight from. I was going to start using the scale and the gym but someone broke it and they have not got a new one yet.
  • cgeiser1
    cgeiser1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. You're right it does drive me crazy! I think I'll stick with my scale. Thanks!