Walking with my daughter? Detailed question inside.

Options
My daughter is always on walks with me. When I went to log in my exercise today I noticed there was a thing that said 'walking carrying infant.' Do you have to be carrying the infant or does it count if you're pushing her in a stroller?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You are overanalysing this. Just log it as walking.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    youre walking. not walking with a weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm sure there's a 'walking pushing stroller' entry. I never use it though, and I'm always walking pushing my 10 month old in her pram. When I walk my eldest to school I have to push the pram up a load of stairs, then pull it backwards up some steeper stairs. Since I got a Fitbit I don't log walking at all, but when I did log it, I just logged as 'walking, leisurely pace'.
  • j_weaver_10
    j_weaver_10 Posts: 17 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Of course I'm gonna log it!! I did the exercise didn't I?
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Get a baby carrier/sling and put her in that- you will feel the difference then! You may then log "walking carrying infant"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Just log the walking, pushing a stroller is minimal effort, unless you're on hills or something.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    The entry is carrying an infant., pushing a stroller is not the same. I agree with others, just log the walk as is. Consider the minimal extra effort of pushing the stroller a bonus. I plan on following this advice when I run with my son in the stroller.
  • KCadel
    KCadel Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Walking with a pram is a lot harder than walking alone. There should definitely be an option for it. Good on you for getting out there girl!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options

Depending on what your activity level is set at, you may not need to log it. If you have it set to sedentary then you'll probably want to log it. BUT if you have your activity level set to something higher (like active) and this is something you do every day, then you probably don't want to log it. :)

So, the question is:
    herrspoons wrote: »

What is your activity level set at?

As to how to log it, that's completely up to you. I wouldn't log it as carrying a child, since you are pushing something on wheels rather than holding extra weight, but that's just my personal preference, since if I overestimate my expended calories I'm sabotaging any weight loss or maintenance efforts. :)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Walking is activity, not exercise in my opinion. I never log it because it's included in my activity level I set when I first set up the app.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I include walking where its movement that i wouldnt ordinarily do. That would make it legitimate exercise.
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set to sedentary and I never log every-day walks unless they are out of the ordinary and specifically for exercise purposes (getting my heart rate up). I do not log the school run or similar, even when I drag my five year old and her scooter up all the hills... ^^
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    If out for a stroll do not log. If out for exercise log as walking, if pushing pram up hill a lot, log the intensity as being higher.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Wow.

• 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think walking while pushing a stroller is definitely harder than just walking, so there should be an option for it, but there isn't. At least you can log walking.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think walking while pushing a stroller is definitely harder than just walking, so there should be an option for it, but there isn't. At least you can log walking.

It is harder No one is disputing that. But the difference will not be significant. It will also vary depending on the stroller.
    I'd rather log it as normal and consider the rest a bonus.
    It is also not the same as carrying a child.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It's for carrying - not pushing in a stroller. Do you get a cart at the grocery store? Why? because it's FAR easier than carrying your groceries. If you're not carrying the kid you're not... carrying the kid.
  • kimberlydgarcia
    kimberlydgarcia Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    aggelikik wrote: »
    You are overanalysing this. Just log it as walking.

This. In fact, unless it's an unusual activity, don't log it at all.
    I would log it. In fact when I used to push my kids around town in the stroller I was in great shape! Maybe living in a very mountainous region helped. Sometimes that is exercise to someone.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I run with my 2.5 year old in a stroller but I also use a HRM. It is not as hard as carrying the kid obviously so I would not log it as that but people have told me running with a stroller is much harder (I have never ran without one). I would probably just log it as walking, if you burned more calories it may just make up for something you overestimated somewhere else.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

It is harder No one is disputing that. But the difference will not be significant. It will also vary depending on the stroller.
    I'd rather log it as normal and consider the rest a bonus.
    It is also not the same as carrying a child.

This nails it. Just common sense.