Learning how to run

Options
Tomhusker
Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
I am not talking about starting a running program like C25K (which I plan to do eventually.) What I am talking about learning HOW to run. Foot placement, knees, etc. I have tried running a couple of times, but my strides really hit the ground HARD. It jolts all of the way up through my body.
Is there a trick to landing properly? I could, I suppose, try running on my toes.
Also, I am still quite heavy, so I wonder if someone my size should even try it?

Replies

• chelseelovesyou
    chelseelovesyou Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    bump. I wonder this too.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've had people try and explain the proper way to run. I've tried it -- and all it did was make me hurt. So, I went back to what was comfortable for me. I figure if my body is comfortable with the way I'm running - I'm fine. If I start to hurt, then I'll address the issues. I think we all have a natural way we run and I think it is very difficult to change it.

It DOES take some time to get used to running.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    you have to shorten your stride. a good stride rate to attain is 180 footfalls per minute. that's three every second. it varies a little from peep to peep. mine is on average 168 a minute. good luck
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Use the balls of your feet, not your toes. Make sure your legs aren't totally straight when your foot hits the ground. Bend your arms and swing them opposite your stride.
  • missay_
    missay_ Posts: 29
    Options
    me too!!! : ) good luck! we can do it!
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I would say start on a treadmill if at all possible - the benefit of that being the shock absorbent "ground". It will make sure your knees don't get damaged from the jarring. I think your size may have a lot to do with it at first. I remember when I first started running, I could feel EVERYthing jiggling around, hitting the ground HARD, and my left knee popped almost out of place a few times. As the weight has come off, it gets easier every time, and I am doing Couch 2 10k.... and starting to FEEL like a runner. i still have not ventured outside for running, since I am worried about the change for my body/joints... but that is a fair weather goal for this spring!! Good Luck! Running has been the single biggest boost for my weight loss, so I encourage you to do it!! :D
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    What would you call a "jog" on a treadmill setting? I am starting to run, and am currently at 5.5 but feel like I run fast for that.....my short stubby little legs make me feel like a chihauhau running on the treadmill... LOL. I'm just curious what is a "jog" and what is "run" on most treadmills..... any idea??
  • tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem...bump!
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to "stand up straight" while running. I find that I have to think about it, but it feels right.
  • Randomgal
    Randomgal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm a heavy girl and I am on week 6 of c25k. Just start off slow with small strides. You should be going slow enough to talk. The first two weeks my Shins and knees hurt... BUT it does go away! My legs felt fine on week three. It does take a few weeks to get your body used to the jarring and weight.. another way to help the adjustment period is to follow the plan exactly and only run 3 times a well as a beginner.. this is crucial for your body to heal!
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I find heel striking or mid food striking to be most comfortable for me, thats where your heel or middle of your foot lands on the ground first.
    You might be better off finding answers about running on the running ahead website - www.runningahead.com Its a brilliant source of information with some really experienced runners to help with all kinds of questions about running. Free to join also.
    Good luck
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    If you want to learn proper form, find a street with a newer sidewalk or better yet a paved running path and run barefoot. Your body will force you to the right way once you ditch the shoes. The goal is to on your the balls of your feet with your knees slightly bent and then your heels touch down last. The basic idea is your knees, ankles all act as shock absorbers.

Never take long strides, landing on your heels they way a lot of people do in expensive running shoes.

Checkout this video that explains it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE

You can get close to this form by running on a treadmill, wearing light shoes with minimal arch support and just teach yourself to take shorter strides, treadmill forces that, and think landing on the balls of your feet rather than the heels.
  • sunsetwest
    sunsetwest Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I second the barefoot running idea. I was just shown this video today that covers quite a bit about barefoot running (if you haven't heard of barefoot running, Google it or check these forums if you haven't already): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jio7DK15Q1E.

I might try barefoot running to see how it feels for me. I just started the C25K program on the treadmill a week ago, and I am loving it and would like to eventually run outside regularly. I always feel like it's so jarring, even on the treadmill, and I'm only 127 lbs, so maybe changing the shoe and posture would help?