Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Nope wolfman ive seen plenty of posts where the answer is just to do weights with a good amount of sneering at cardio.

I didn't say there weren't any...I said the majority...and I stand by that. If all you want to see is "just do weights" then those are the only posts you see. The vast majority of knowledgable people here will tell you to do some combination of both. And generally speaking, the individuals who don't really do cardio do not because they are bulking or trying to optimize strength gains for which a lot of cardio can be detrimental.

And again, most of the "sneering at cardio" is aimed at people doing incessant amounts of cardio, cardio, cariod, cario...for which I also sneer unless you're actually training for something that would require that. A general fitness regimen should be pretty balanced...both are important and again...I think MOST people will tell you that.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Majority fine, but its quite common to see those saying weights and ignoring cardio. The other bit is quite pathetic tbh I dont have any agenda to push so kindly do one, if you are saying thats all I see when thats clearly not what I said.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If your goals include staying healthy, then some form of cardio as part of your lifestyle is essential, rgardless of whether you are trying to lose weight or not. When you read a post telling you otherwise (and I have seen lots of those too) then you know this poster is not someone to take seriously ;) You will find that most posters who really give good advice about weight lifting here, are not the ones who sneer on cardio or any form of exercise.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    A mix of cardio and resistance training is probably best for almost everyone; the ratio of both depends on your own goals (or just whichever you prefer, but I wouldn't neglect either). Some flexibility work is rarely a bad idea too.
  • bigd66218
    bigd66218 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love to cycle more than lift weights..I'm not sure how often you ride a stationery bike each week, if you can find the time to do 5 hours a week and watch your caloric intake the weight will fall off. :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    No. c-v fitness, conditioning, whatever you want to call it is part of allround fitness. As is some sort of strength work and some sort of flexibility/mobility/soft-tissue work.

The world is not all A or B. No matter what some anonymous person on an internet forum tells you

How much cardiovascular work you do will be goal-dependant. Ask yourself what your goals are and then you can decide how much (if any) and what kind you want to do.

This. You can have more of A or more of B because of your interests or personal preferences, but neither lifting or cardio is waste.

I prefer running, so I primarily run and then work strength training around that. Just what works for me.
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hey,
    Many years ago I did a lot of weight training with a personal trainer. The only cardio I did was 10 minutes cycing/ dreadmill at the start to warm up. Yes I built a lot of muscle and had good muscle tone but my CV system was rubbish. If you'd asked me back then to run a mile I simply couldn't have done it. If you'd asked me to dead lift 210Kg I could have done it.

Fast forward almost 10 years and currently all my workouts are cardio. I run 3 times a week and do circuit training 3 times a week for an hour a day. Personally I feel in much better shape today than when I was weight training. I feel and look much healthier. Physcologically I'm a lot better too. Cardio is one hell of a stress buster and as a depression suffer it has kept me off anti-depressants.

I heavy lift all day at work. 50kg aircraft batteries won't move themselves. Even so I plan on adding in a weight training regime alongside my cardio. Muscle tone and healthy CV system equals win win in my eyes.

The only problem I have is with people who don't do cardio as 'Lifting is cardio'. That right there is the bull*hit statement of the year. Yet it gets your heart rate up but its not comparable to a 10k run.

Cheers,
    Shaun.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    It depends on your goals. And they are?

Weight loss (looking to lose 40 lbs)
    Improved stamina

• robw235
    robw235 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I started with cardio (primarily exercise bike) but have begun to incorporate weight training in the past week, along with the cardio. I know I need to build some muscle, which is good at my age and helps with metabolism. Won't give up the cardio though. As soon as the weather turns nicer here in the northeast, I'll be outside walking and riding my bike.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT everyone!!! THANK YOU!
    It makes sense that, for overall fitness, both are necessary, but I just got worried when I read the cardio is a waste of time. I've only got an hour five days a week. I have to be smart about it!! So thank you! I will stick with my cardio + strength WMF class for now. And I won't feel one bit silly about spending my weekends on bike rides. It hit 40F today where I live so the bikes came down from the garage walls and are off for a tune up! WOOHOO!! We're getting ready to ride!
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I think of it this way:
    If you want to be faster at your sport -- CARDIO.
    If you want to be stronger at your sport -- LIFT.
    Both can help make your game better.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of time if you're doing it for weight loss and not eating in calorie deficit.
    But it's great to do for overall fitness and health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It is practically a waste of time if you're bulking and trying to become a power lifter.

It's not a waste of time if you're trying to do an iron man or run a marathon.

Context is everything.

For just better health and wellness a well rounded fitness program should incorporate a healthy dose of cardiovascular health and strength training.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Nope wolfman ive seen plenty of posts where the answer is just to do weights with a good amount of sneering at cardio.

That was more prevalent a couple of years ago - the general tenor is noticeably more balanced these days, IMO. There will always be exceptions, of course. :drinker: